Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 176 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

seeking alpha.... LOL. nuff said.

sales of ALL cars in general across the board (few exceptions) have been down last year and right in to 2019
why? isn't objective enough for you? Right, if it doesn't come from 'Daily Electric Insider' you aren't hearing it. :rolleyes:

#fakenews

Does Seeking Alpha Enable Anonymous Authors To Spread Fake News? -Forbes

no I get all my expert auto news from Consumer Reports....
Did you actually bother to actually read what was said or simply looked for attention grabbing headlines (mediaLOL)

Seeking Alpha has in any event gained some broad acceptance and mainstream respectability.
While I’m not qualified to challenge Seeking Alpha’s defense of its methods and policies, it does not seem that the biggest concern – the anonymity of contributors – has been addressed.
It is true that the Commission has as recently as 2017 investigatedcompanies alleged to have used Seeking Alpha to manipulate their own values. But it was the writers who mainly came under fire; not the outlet. It was even suggested that Seeking Alpha’s own disclosure initiatives helped start the SEC actions, and that the instigators would not have tried to exploit Seeking Alpha if it weren’t such a reputable outlet.

And on and on and on.

The quote might be from Seeking Alpha (known permabear) but the numbers are what they are. Tesla's last quarter was significantly disappointing, and the stock was pummelled in the market. No one really knew how much of initial pent-up demand could translate into long-term sales. When everyone who wants the shiny new thing has one, then what happens?

Announcing new products long in advance of start of production can lead to some people holding out for the shiny new upcoming thing instead of buying a current product now.

Model S is now in year 8 of production without significant change. That's an eternity. I still think they look good but eventually they are going to have to do something to attract new customers. There's no sign of a major model change in the pipeline ...

Model S is now in year 8 of production without significant change. That's an eternity. I still think they look good but eventually they are going to have to do something to attract new customers. There's no sign of a major model change in the pipeline ...

Not just new customers, but 8 years is an eternity for someone with enough cheddar for a $130K vehicle too hold on to their fancy ride. By now, a Benz/BMW client would have upgraded to the latest model, but your options as a Tesla owner would be to keep the aging car, get a new car in addition to the Model S, or get an X or 3. The X has very few advantages over the S and IMO, looks much worse, while the 3 is a downgrade. Down the pipe is just cheaper Teslas based on the 3. Model S needs an update to keep returning customers in the fold, and I don't see that happening.

Not just new customers, but 8 years is an eternity for someone with enough cheddar for a $130K vehicle too hold on to their fancy ride. By now, a Benz/BMW client would have upgraded to the latest model, but your options as a Tesla owner would be to keep the aging car, get a new car in addition to the Model S, or get an X or 3. The X has very few advantages over the S and IMO, looks much worse, while the 3 is a downgrade. Down the pipe is just cheaper Teslas based on the 3. Model S needs an update to keep returning customers in the fold, and I don't see that happening.
This is a good point. Electric powertrains don't seem to incur the same escalating repair costs as their ICE counterparts. Why would anyone bother to "upgrade" their current Model S to the latest model when the performance/features/maintenance costs are unchanged. All you have added is a large car payment with no real benefit (unless you trade in a 2wd for an AWD).

Interesting read here, Japan is jumping into electric with both feet! Good to see the big four working together.
[/URL]

The CRE will have swappable battery. I've seen video of the battery in the KTM Freeride E-XC swapped out in 5 minutes.

cre.jpg

With regards to our current hunt for an Ioniq, I'm having serious deja-vu with regards to salespeople who have zero freakin clue what they're selling when it comes to EV's.

Ugh.

With regards to our current hunt for an Ioniq, I'm having serious deja-vu with regards to salespeople who have zero freakin clue what they're selling when it comes to vehicles..

Ugh.
ftfy

Accurate.

I think the biggest piss off of the whole thing so far was that it turned out they were using stock photos in the original ad, although it was hard to tell as I've seen dealerships do photoshop work on their photos before - IE my wife's Volt where the door panels looked to be an entirely different shade than they were in the online photos, even though the photos were indeed of the actual car, but were photoshopped/modified.

The problem was... the stock photos they used in the case of this Ioniq showed the car with features and options it didn't' actually have in reality when I asked for *actual* photos.

Anyhow, like I said, I'll post more details as the process goes on...I still don't want to say much.

Man, I think I should get into car sales as a profession change - I actually have a bloody clue about cars and could (gasp!) answer questions knowledgeably and factually.

Model S is now in year 8 of production without significant change.

Automakers can only *Dream* of having a successful model last that long before any major retooling or redesign. Most get a nip and tuck by year 2 or 3, then a full redesign be year 4 or 5 $$$$$. Yes, the S is aging, but aging well.

Not to worry though, I understand the S is getting interior updates and other improvements for 2019, then a full redo for 2021

Scary that Tesla is readying their second generation of electric products and bringing out new models (the Y baby, that will take the sales crown), and most automakers haven't even introduced their first yet.

Went and looked at the Ioniq.

First off, the salesperson who I'd been communicating with and said he would be there for our appointment Saturday...wasn't. No biggie, we ended up with another personable fellow.

Secondly, the car wasn't fully charged - it was sitting at 30-40%, showing around 80KM when we got in it. Now, I suppose for a car with a ~200KM range (this time of year) that's hardly a show stopper for a test drive, but honestly...would you not want to show off the actual range of the car for prospective buyers, not have then get in and already feel a tingle of range anxiety? ESPECIALLY for a potentially new-to-EV's buyer? I'm just can't believe dealers don't grasp this.

My wife and I both test drove the car and honestly, liked it. Performance was good, the car was quiet (although I think it had a loose air dam somewhere underneath that was making a faint rattle at >90KPH) and the feature set was good - it wasn't loaded by any means, but it fit the bill.

It has some very minor (mostly cosmetic) front end damage to the bumper and the passenger front quarter panel, and a "police reported" (not no insurance claim) accident on it's CarFax, so I'm guessing the previous owner smacked into the back of someone or something. Dealer said they're going to fix it all, but it wasn't yet.

In the end, the fact it didn't have leather, has north of 70,000KM on it already, and has an accident on the Carfax meant we came home empty handed. Honestly, with that many miles on a 2 year old car, no leather or sunroof, and an accident (albeit however minor), I determined it was overpriced by 3-5K. Dealer wasn't willing to move more than 1K on the price (max) so we walked. We left our number and told them that if they still have the car in a month or two (which I suspect they may, I think it's been there for 3-4 weeks already) to call us.

I'm eyeballing a options in the Quebec area - there's quite a few of them in Montreal at various dealers (they're extremely popular there) with between 1/4 to 1/3 the mileage, with more options, in better shape...for the same money as what they're asking for the one in Toronto, so we're going to sit on things. I'm not against taking a mini weekend getaway in MTL and coming home with a new car to get a far better car for the same sort of money in the end.

In related news, my wife's Volt is officially for sale. We decided to sell it first and then manage with one car (not hard considering MC season is here and both my kids have cars as well) and then we're in a stronger position for shopping for it's replacement. If any GTAM'ers are interested, PM me for details. Would be pretty flexible on price for another GTAM'er into this thread looking to take a dive into low-cost EV ownership. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9422.jpg
    IMG_9422.jpg
    443 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9423.jpg
    IMG_9423.jpg
    467.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9431.jpg
    IMG_9431.jpg
    857.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9433.jpg
    IMG_9433.jpg
    955.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9436.jpg
    IMG_9436.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 15
I'm eyeballing a options in the Quebec area - there's quite a few of them in Montreal at various dealers (they're extremely popular there) with between 1/4 to 1/3 the mileage, with more options, in better shape...for the same money as what they're asking for the one in Toronto, so we're going to sit on things. I'm not against taking a mini weekend getaway in MTL and coming home with a new car to get a far better car for the same sort of money in the end.

I believe you'll have to pay tax twice if you buy in Quebec and file for reimbursement after the fact. Figure you know already but what the heck,

I believe you'll have to pay tax twice if you buy in Quebec and file for reimbursement after the fact. Figure you know already but what the heck,

I looked into this – apparently most dealers in Quebec are savvy with the process of selling out of province – all you do is pay the federal portion of the HST where the vehicle was purchased, and then you pay the Ontario portion of the HST when you register it back here in Ontario. Total tax stays the same, you just pay it in two installments affectively instead

The $5000 federal new EV rebate goes into effect on May 1st so that will inevitably change the used market again, at least somewhat - not as much as the Ontario 14K rebate (where even 1-2 year old EV's were a tough sell because people would rather buy new vs buy a depreciated 1-2 year old car for roughly the same money) but it may have some downward pressure on the 1-2 year old market.

With the rebate being stackable on top of the $8000 rebate in Quebec already I suspect the used market there will get very interesting in the next 4-8 months.

I have someone coming Friday morning to look at the Volt, so with any luck, we will be shopping by next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom