Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle? | Page 175 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers own an electric vehicle?

Yup. Still stand by that post quoted as well if you have been following my narrative starting in post 2 and continuous throughout this thread. So not really back pedalling are we?

That's why I don't own a electric car and feel hydrogens will be a better option (as opposed to constantly plugging in) . And as I said in post 2, I Still prefer a proper no plug hybrid and would be my next purchase if I were in the market, until a suitable hydrogen comes my way. Possibly, when I feel that electrics come through with further breakthrough technologies like wireless charging, or a battery that doesn't need constant recharging, then I may consider it.

If you were following along,. Merely stating that Tesla does electrics best which is still so so true. . Doesn't mean I have to own one or I can't recommend it for someone who wants a pure electric. Tesla does it best!

GM pulling the plug on the Volt (pun intended) shows how dumb plug in hybrids really are as nobody is buying them and they realize the silliness of plugging in for a few km's of range. (before you jump on me about the Clarity, Honda still makes them unlike the Volt, LOL, and If I had to recommend a plug in hybrid car today (I personally wouldn't buy any of them) in this class, It would be the Clarity over a Volt any day of the week for a number of reasons. Clarity sales were up 21%, guess the market agrees.

Last edited:
@PP have you considered the Golf EV? My buddy has one and absolutely loves it. Gets around >200km per charge...I actually really like it. And as long as I don't be stupid and buy that little sporty car the EV golf may be next in my driveway.

It wasn't even remotely on my radar actually, but thanks for bringing it up.

I checked it out. Two problems I see is that the first generation models (up to 2018 from what I see in a cursory glance) shows "real world" winter ranges in the 110-120KM range. This is just too tight for my wifes needs - if she decided to go out on her lunch break for lunch with a friend or something it could end up resulting in her getting back home in turtle mode, or not making it home at all.

The 2019 models have a better range, but I have to say that with a price north of $40,000KM....yeah, I'm not seeing the value for the dollar there honestly - you're into the same territory as vehicles with more range (and features) for less money, and with only a 135KM listed "real world" range in cold weather, it's still cutting it uncomfortably close in the extreme cold winter months.

Aaaaaaaand, another apples + oranges comparison from Sunny.

<yawn>

I'm enjoying being 100% sunny free! The block feature on the new forum software works spectacularly well. I don't see SQUAT from him anymore, not even quotes!

Lifetime fuel consumption is down to 3.60L/100km from 4.22 when I got the car last May. Should be below 3 in about a year?!

You can reset that if you want. $20 OBD2 adapter and an Android app. ;) I think I mentioned it before and you mentioned you wanted to do it the legit way however LOL. ;)

You can reset that if you want. $20 OBD2 adapter and an Android app. ;) I think I mentioned it before and you mentioned you wanted to do it the legit way however LOL. ;)

That’s cheating.

Since I got it I’m at 1.8, so I’m sure I’ll be able to get it below 3.00 but not sure how much below that I’ll be able to go. Maybe 2.5 after a few more years.

It wasn't even remotely on my radar actually, but thanks for bringing it up.

I checked it out. Two problems I see is that the first generation models (up to 2018 from what I see in a cursory glance) shows "real world" winter ranges in the 110-120KM range. This is just too tight for my wifes needs - if she decided to go out on her lunch break for lunch with a friend or something it could end up resulting in her getting back home in turtle mode, or not making it home at all.

One other issue with the eGolf is that the smartphone integration (and some other tech related options like satnav) is an expensive option that many early buyers may have opted not to buy. An older guy at my office has one and he didn't get the option. He was floored when he heard that his car could have been messaging him about stuff like charging status etc.

"The big end of town equity will have already protected themselves and either will have gotten out or will be holding debt to share in the future equity of a new, cleaner debt-free / debt-light entity. The average common stock owner still owning or holding as the front door splinters off its hinges, or those not plugged in, will end up getting decimated. It will play out like every other significant bankruptcy and reorganization over the past 10 to 20 years. This is just how it is."

Tesla does it best!

Look up wanker in the dictionary and there is picture of Elon.

Going to look at a Hyundai Ioniq on Saturday.

Interesting article here on Honda's patent for a Hydrogen fuel cell bike. The writer doesn't seem to think hydrogen will necessarily compete.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I own a Volt and love the car, I see a lot of bashing towards Tesla in this thread. Personally I hope this is a company that makes it through for the long term, they've got some of the best technology and started this whole EV trend. Not sure if all the Tesla hate is because of Sunny's remarks in this thread and constantly putting down the Volt/Bolt or any car that's not a Tesla or Honda.

Which version?

Sorry, after the fiasco with our original Volt purchase a few years ago (where, for those who remember, I suspected someone here tried to sweep in and buy it out from under us as I detailed early on in this thread) I’m going to play coy here initially at this point so far as any details whatsoever.

Nothing personal. I hope everyone understands.

I will follow up, for sure.

I own a Volt and love the car, I see a lot of bashing towards Tesla in this thread. Personally I hope this is a company that makes it through for the long term, they've got some of the best technology and started this whole EV trend. Not sure if all the Tesla hate is because of Sunny's remarks in this thread and constantly putting down the Volt/Bolt or any car that's not a Tesla or Honda.

I like the "idea" of the Tesla cars. There are many things they got right - the need for charging infrastructure to go hand in hand with the roll-out of the vehicles, and that it's their responsibility to do it because no one else will, is something that the rest of the auto industry STILL doesn't get. The performance is good. The handling is good.

But I don't like their business model and I don't like Elon Musk's management style. Musk was good to get the concept going (the company as a whole would not have happened without him) but he is a micromanager; at a certain point he should have stepped back and let people who know stuff about manufacturing cars do their thing. The whole autopilot and self driving thing is a fiasco.

Tesla should have done the electrical/electronics side of it the way they did it but they should have contracted out the car stuff (bodyshell and chassis, detailed design and manufacturing) to someone like Magna.

I have customers who have built equipment that went into Tesla's assembly plant. They've got stories.

I have another customer that builds parts for Tesla. At one point they had a rush job to throw together tooling to make a certain part, because someone at Tesla forgot that they needed to do that.

Funny you should mention the infamous and oft referenced "Post #2"...................

?

I still stand by those words as well from 2+ years ago, back then when written, the Bolt wasn't quite released yet, but it looked like GM got this one on the right path with the drivetrain. Good range.

Sadly, and unfortunately for GM, the competitors caught up and GM at design stage weren't intelligent enough to wrap it around a sexy interesting body to garner more interest or to introduce it into Crossover/SUV form. Rather they wrapped it in a bland pedestrian econobox with no exciting interesting lines. They missed the mark yet again. As you are probably aware by now, Bolt sales are quite lethargic, and the current auto editors say that in its current form, its already "dated" despite a decent powertrain. The Leaf and Ioniq are far more interesting market choices for most.

as for electric cars people actually want, see the Model 3 and just watch, Model Y sales will take off.

If only GM could build cars that people *want*. But I still stand by my claim that the Bolt powertrain is decent (promising)

I have another customer that builds parts for Tesla. At one point they had a rush job to throw together tooling to make a certain part, because someone at Tesla forgot that they needed to do that.
:whistle:

as for electric cars people actually want, see the Model 3 and just watch, Model Y sales will take off.

The Model S and the Model X suffered a serious decline in deliveries, down 15,450 when compared with 4Q18, which equates to a 56% drop. Deliveries haven't been this low for the Model S and the Model X since 4Q15. This could be a significant marker for the Tesla premium vehicles. A steady or measured decline in demand would not be uncommon, but this was the equivalent of a deliveries sinkhole.

The Model 3 deliveries were down 12,250 when compared with 4Q18 and down 4,940 when compared with 3Q18. It would appear that a large amount of Model 3 stock was shipped overseas, which raises the question: What happened to US domestic demand? Have we seen peak US demand for the currently available Model 3 versions? I think it is too early to tell, but this is not a positive less than a year after the Model 3 production kinks were ironed out and the vehicles started rolling out of Fremont at a decent clip.

:geek:

seeking alpha.... LOL. nuff said.

sales of ALL cars in general across the board (few exceptions) have been down last year and right in to 2019

Last edited:
But I don't like their business model

I tend to view them like Apple in many ways, do as much in house, keep a "walled garden" as much as possible, make everything proprietery instead of conforming to a set standard.

I'd say Apple is following a successful model. I also think of John Deere corp, they are heading that way too.

Back
Top Bottom