Any GTAM'ers have a tiny/micro camper? | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers have a tiny/micro camper?

So, I've got probably in the range of 1000km (probably closer to 1500) of towing on the trailer now with the Volt.

- The earlier mentioned issue with the car not running the engine fast enough to keep up with demand (even in mountain mode) continued to be a mildly nagging issue. Only in high demand situations did it become an issue when the car would dump out into low propulsion mode.

- The solution I discovered? Hold mode. Given as how '11s and 12's didn't have hold mode by default, I have to use a software hold mode through the OBD adapter, but it works perfectly. I kind of expected it to behave similar to mountain mode where the car would still eat into the buffer without running the engine hard to maintain, keep up, or rebuild fast, but it behaves quite differently, indeed running the engine hard as necessary to maintain the battery state of charge, and if it does deplete it (IE, we're in the Blue Mountains right now and climbed some pretty solid grades), it runs it at it's governed maximum to rebuild it *fast* and then settles back into normal mode.

The latter was the missing puzzle piece on towing with the car. It's now a dream - this thing pulls like a freight train even up steep grades and with brisk headwinds - today even with the 50-60kph westerly winds today, headed straight into them and pulling up a steep grade it just sat happy as could be at 90kph on the cruise control.

I've got the last few kinks worked out now on the trailer (I had to completely re-do the holding tank, ugh, that's another story) and changed the toilet setup to a cartridge (so the grey and black are now separate tanks, much nicer) and we're now on the road for 2 weeks.

Bike transport.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1624307550856.jpg
    FB_IMG_1624307550856.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 23
Getting our moneys worth with 2 weeks on the road out in the Gaspe peninsula. Just came out of the mountains (Highway 299 along the salmon river) and had some pretty epic boondocking. 1 very flaky bar of cellphone service that worked for about 10 minutes a day at best, just enough to get essentials in and out and that was that. Otherwise, we watched the beavers across the river, the birds, and the mist and fog rolling around the mountain tops.

You can just see is in the second drone photo, middle right bottom.

gaspeboondock2.jpeg

gaspeboondock1.jpeg

On my way to NS with the motor home, Hopefully they don’t lockdown before i get there

@ToSlow I hope you applied online for your travel passes...I think NB opened up so you don't need one there, however, you need one for NS (and PEI if you plan on going there)...safe travels... :D

Getting our moneys worth with 2 weeks on the road out in the Gaspe peninsula. Just came out of the mountains (Highway 299 along the salmon river) and had some pretty epic boondocking. 1 very flaky bar of cellphone service that worked for about 10 minutes a day at best, just enough to get essentials in and out and that was that. Otherwise, we watched the beavers across the river, the birds, and the mist and fog rolling around the mountain tops.

You can just see is in the second drone photo, middle right bottom.

View attachment 50392

View attachment 50393

This looks idyllic.

@ToSlow I hope you applied online for your travel passes...I think NB opened up so you don't need one there, however, you need one for NS (and PEI if you plan on going there)...safe travels... :D
I had a bit of grief getting into NB, paperwork not 100% in order
they sent me back to Quebec to straiten out, took an extra 30 minutes, no biggie

into NS was easy, checking maybe 1 in 10 cars - I was waived through
on the way back, after NB had eased the restrictions, didn't bother me

but it was clear NS had tightened up
traffic was backed up 2~3 km getting into NS
would be no fun on a bike

On my way to NS with the motor home, Hopefully they don’t lockdown before i get there

Was there talk of such? I haven't heard anything....then again, admittedly I haven't been following the news closely.

This looks idyllic.

It was even better in the mornings with the mist rolling around the mountains. This was the view from my chair while sipping my coffee.

canoeinmist.jpg

We're in Matane now, on our way towards Quebec City today and part of tomorrow, then we have to truck a few hours west as my wife needs to be situated somewhere for remote work on Monday. We are at Pinery provincial park Wednesday thru Sunday to finish off the trip.

We've boondocked this entire trip so far, haven't spent one single night in an actual campground. The camper is serving us well - the previous owners conversion to an 80L (vs stock 20L) water tank means we can enjoy good showers every day or two (depending on when we find water, but public dump and fill stations are plentiful out here) plus dishes and cooking water and such, and the LED lights all around means that even if we have the trailer lit up like a christmas tree the battery still lasts 2-3 days before I have to even consider running the genny for a few hours to recharge. Space is at a premium, for sure, but being so small is the difference between us being able to get into places like the photos above...or not. Anything longer than 15 feet or so would be physically impossible to get into these places, even with a skilled driver.

The view right now isn't too shabby either. Spent the night at a little rest area along the St Lawrence.

restareaview.jpg

Forgot to mention, a friend who is doing an epic 10,000 KM in 10 days across Canada ride right now literally rode right past us not once, but twice (looped back to head towards NF) last night. We were literally sitting at the picnic table in the photo above when he went past.

We completely whiffed that he was even coming out this way and missed him. Both times. 😣

I still love tenting. Throwing my crappy little 3 person (realistically once my air mattress and riding gear and such off the bike is in there, 1 person LOL) still has huge appeal to me. But my wife? Yeah, not so much. ;)

I still love tenting. Throwing my crappy little 3 person (realistically once my air mattress and riding gear and such off the bike is in there, 1 person LOL) still has huge appeal to me. But my wife? Yeah, not so much. ;)
My 3 person cheapo I bought in 2000 has had more use and outlasted any other tent
I’ve had in my life. And it’s the ‘set up in less than 1 min’ type.

Not exactly tiny or micro, but wow...... worthy of a look:
That's pretty. It will be interesting to see the final number. In the grand scheme of travel trailers it has a long way to go before crazy pricing and it only takes two people who really want it for the price to take off.

At mosport, the difference in trailers between vrra and karts is dramatic. Karts are apparently a sport for the very wealthy.

Edit:
Woof. Trailer sold for 630K USD. It's pretty but that's a lot for a trailer.

Last edited:
Was there talk of such? I haven't heard anything....then again, admittedly I haven't been following the news closely.

It was even better in the mornings with the mist rolling around the mountains. This was the view from my chair while sipping my coffee.

View attachment 50401

We're in Matane now, on our way towards Quebec City today and part of tomorrow, then we have to truck a few hours west as my wife needs to be situated somewhere for remote work on Monday. We are at Pinery provincial park Wednesday thru Sunday to finish off the trip.

We've boondocked this entire trip so far, haven't spent one single night in an actual campground. The camper is serving us well - the previous owners conversion to an 80L (vs stock 20L) water tank means we can enjoy good showers every day or two (depending on when we find water, but public dump and fill stations are plentiful out here) plus dishes and cooking water and such, and the LED lights all around means that even if we have the trailer lit up like a christmas tree the battery still lasts 2-3 days before I have to even consider running the genny for a few hours to recharge. Space is at a premium, for sure, but being so small is the difference between us being able to get into places like the photos above...or not. Anything longer than 15 feet or so would be physically impossible to get into these places, even with a skilled driver.

The view right now isn't too shabby either. Spent the night at a little rest area along the St Lawrence.

View attachment 50402
I was thinking of you today. Someone brought a tandem axle trailer for one night of camping at mosport. Ran a 3000W generator for five hours powering the trailer. Turned off generator at 18:00 and setup a solar panel. I have no idea if their trailer uses that much juice (I doubt it) or if they do not have a concept of how long the batteries can power the house loads. No obvious ridiculous loads like external halogen lights or giant stereos or multiple TVs.

I was thinking of you today. Someone brought a tandem axle trailer for one night of camping at mosport. Ran a 3000W generator for five hours powering the trailer. Turned off generator at 18:00 and setup a solar panel. I have no idea if their trailer uses that much juice (I doubt it) or if they do not have a concept of how long the batteries can power the house loads. No obvious ridiculous loads like external halogen lights or giant stereos or multiple TVs.
How many panels was they running? I’m looking to get a set up on the rooftop of my rig.

Need someone with more knowledge on the set up to make sure it’s enough to run the lights

When I think of micro:
LSsUNixl.jpg

It has to be this or smaller.

Back
Top Bottom