Any GTAM'ers have a tiny/micro camper? | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Any GTAM'ers have a tiny/micro camper?

Oh, it's compact all around, but the iPhone wide angle lens does help when it comes to photos. It just allows a better perspective in the end - traditional photos can't really capture the interior properly due to the fact the aspect ratio is pretty small comparatively.

It's really a 2 person trailer. I've had rental inquiries for 2 adults plus a kid and their dog and have been pretty upfront about the fact....it won't work. My wife and I inside, all good, even if we're both standing. Yeah, there's not a ton of space for us to dance or anything LOL, but compact is the nature of the game here. You don't get that much trailer in a 1000 pound package any other way. ;)
All you need is a roof over your head and a place to sleep.

Here's a photo I snapped from the outside through the passenger side window...a normal perspective, no wide angle lens...so you can see pretty much the entire dinette/bed, fridge, floor space, and just to the right of the fridge is the bathroom door, and across the front the counter top & induction stove.

1618106961494.png

Like I said, compact, but we are loving it more every day. The fact we can tow it with the Volt is awesome, and like I said earlier in this thread, honestly, the little trailer thing is liberating so far as where you can go. I'd take this thing to downtown Toronto or Quebec City in a heartbeat, and we can get into any tiny little conservation area or whatnot now without a second thought. Our old fifth wheel and truck combination was 50 feet long and I had to pick and choose where we went.

Here's a photo I snapped from the outside through the passenger side window...a normal perspective, no wide angle lens...so you can see pretty much the entire dinette/bed, fridge, floor space, and just to the right of the fridge is the bathroom door, and across the front the counter top & induction stove.

View attachment 48010

Like I said, compact, but we are loving it more every day. The fact we can tow it with the Volt is awesome, and like I said earlier in this thread, honestly, the little trailer thing is liberating so far as where you can go. I'd take this thing to downtown Toronto or Quebec City in a heartbeat, and we can get into any tiny little conservation area or whatnot now without a second thought. Our old fifth wheel and truck combination was 50 feet long and I had to pick and choose where we went.
Quebec City, at the marina is a good place with in walking distance to to downtown old city, it’s a pay as you go but has overnight RV parking

Looks awesome @PrivatePilot .... actually way better than I would have expected.

And you say it's only 1,000lbs? Odyssey should have no issue pulling that thing.

Empty weight is 952# as per the GVWR minus Cargo Carrying Capacity calculation on the manufacturer's decal. Of course, no trailer ever weighs that except the moment it comes out of the factory without even as much as a propane tank, much less all the other little baubles and such people add, and of course then food, supplies, water, etc etc.

I figure loaded it'll be around 1600-1700#, assuming you're lugging a full 80L tank of water for boondocking like we do a lot - subtract 180# if you don't carry water. It's GVWR is 2004# (with a 1052# placarded cargo carrying capacity, therefore 952# empty) and I can't see getting to 2000# unless you're the sort who packs everything plus the kitchen sink and have both the fresh water and holding tank brimming full.

This was one of the attractions for these Helio trailers - they are built super light, yet super well, plus an aluminum frame. Like Bolers and Trilliums, this trailer will still be around in 40 years while most sticks and twigs mainstream RV's will be long gone.

Empty weight is 952# as per the GVWR minus Cargo Carrying Capacity calculation on the manufacturer's decal. Of course, no trailer ever weighs that except the moment it comes out of the factory without even as much as a propane tank, much less all the other little baubles and such people add, and of course then food, supplies, water, etc etc.

I figure loaded it'll be around 1600-1700#, assuming you're lugging a full 80L tank of water for boondocking like we do a lot - subtract 180# if you don't carry water. It's GVWR is 2004# (with a 1052# placarded cargo carrying capacity, therefore 952# empty) and I can't see getting to 2000# unless you're the sort who packs everything plus the kitchen sink and have both the fresh water and holding tank brimming full.

This was one of the attractions for these Helio trailers - they are built super light, yet super well, plus an aluminum frame. Like Bolers and Trilliums, this trailer will still be around in 40 years while most sticks and twigs mainstream RV's will be long gone.
I like longevity in toys.

I have a few bikes that were built to last, same with my boat. It’s aluminum, light and as survey-sound as it was when built in 1978.

Hoping to do a light remodel to bring the salon and kitchen up to date, fortunately the hull and superstructure will outlive me. Cant expect that from a glass boat.

Those Boler trailers with a complete fiberglass shell will be around for another number of decades, and the price of them is kooky for 30yr old units.
@PP , I like the idea of the aluminum frame, heaven forbid you get any leaks , at least its all repairable .

done any towing mpg's ? results?

I haven't done any solid calculations yet, but the first time we get out for an actual trip I'll fill the tank, reset the trip meter, and will be sure to share the real-world results. I think I saw ~15-16L/100KM at one point yesterday on my OBD2 display but now sure how accurate that was, and it was a mix of electric and gas. If I can get 15L/100KM towing I'll be super happy honestly.

Those Boler trailers with a complete fiberglass shell will be around for another number of decades, and the price of them is kooky for 30yr old units.
@PP , I like the idea of the aluminum frame, heaven forbid you get any leaks , at least its all repairable .

The only weak spots with Bolers and Trilliums was the steel frame. Helio learned from that and went with aluminum.

My model does have a traditional plywood floor but it appears to be super well treated and even at 12 years old looks like new underneath. Helio even went a step further with their newer models and went with a fully fibreglass encapsulated floor.

Roof pretty much can't leak as it's basically only 2 pieces with an epoxied seam across the back, and the roof overhangs the sides as well so there's zero chance of leaks there as well. It's even designed with molded in gutters that channels the water straight down the front and back instead of off the sides where it could get inside. And even if water does somehow get past the fibreglass it's not a laminated setup like a regular RV, it's a single piece with 1" of foam backing it inside between the exterior and the headliner...so the common delamination issue you see with regular RV's (where the sides are bubbled and deformed) physically can't happen...any water would just run down onto the floor at worst and evaporate away as the flooring is even in the storage compartments and such.

Some people comment about the lack of windows...but windows leak, and water is what kills most RV's. Well, that and the fact many new mainstream RV's are built with sticks and twigs held together with bubblegum. But that's another story.

It's a super well thought out design and has only got better with the newer models. Yeah, they're pretty freakin expensive (North of $40K Canadian for the new gen of the model we have) but it genuinely is a case of "you get what you pay for". These trailers will outlive their owners.

Some people comment about the lack of windows...but windows leak, and water is what kills most RV's.
Who cares about lots of windows in something that size? It is pretty clearly designed as a comfortable place to sleep and change and you expect to spend most of your time outside. Sure you want a little light and definitely ventilation but if you are hanging out inside for the entire day, it probably means it's raining and gross outside and there isn't much to see anyway.

Who cares about lots of windows in something that size? It is pretty clearly designed as a comfortable place to sleep and change and you expect to spend most of your time outside. Sure you want a little light and definitely ventilation but if you are hanging out inside for the entire day, it probably means it's raining and gross outside and there isn't much to see anyway.

Agree 100%. And when you're sitting at the table you both have windows to look out of. If you're standing by the kitchen, there's a window in the door..or the door is open.

But a lot of people do comment about the lack of front and back windows. But I agree, this isn't the sort of trailer you go camping in only to sit inside and watch TV like some people do. Aside from getting a beer from the fridge, getting rid of a beer in the bathroom, sleeping, or getting food....we won't be inside it for any length of time, I agree.

For an absolute and total lack of anything better to do today while it ****** rain and was otherwise totally crappy... I went over to the storage yard, fired up the hot water tank, and had a nice hot shower. ?

I'd been wanting to try it out since reworking the shower curtain and installing a new RV specific (Oxygenics) water saving shower head. Before going out for the test tow yesterday and then taking it back to the storage lot I filled the water tank.

Happy to report despite being tight...it was actually pretty freakin good. I had a decent long (totally wasteful by RV standards) shower (longer than normal assuming one was camping without services / boondocking and was trying to conserve water) and never ran out of hot water. I checked the water tank afterwards and it looks like I used about 25-30L of the 80L tank. It it was a normal shower where I was trying to be conservative with the water use (IE the typical RV "military shower" I could easily have got that down to probably 15L. In a pinch if we were boondocking somewhere for an extended period I suspect I could get it down to under 10L.

For an absolute and total lack of anything better to do today while it ****** rain and was otherwise totally crappy... I went over to the storage yard, fired up the hot water tank, and had a nice hot shower. ?

I'd been wanting to try it out since reworking the shower curtain and installing a new RV specific (Oxygenics) water saving shower head. Before going out for the test tow yesterday and then taking it back to the storage lot I filled the water tank.

Happy to report despite being tight...it was actually pretty freakin good. I had a decent long (totally wasteful by RV standards) shower (longer than normal assuming one was camping without services / boondocking and was trying to conserve water) and never ran out of hot water. I checked the water tank afterwards and it looks like I used about 25-30L of the 80L tank. It it was a normal shower where I was trying to be conservative with the water use (IE the typical RV "military shower" I could easily have got that down to probably 15L. In a pinch if we were boondocking somewhere for an extended period I suspect I could get it down to under 10L.
Does it have a grey water tank or just everything into black?

It's a single mixed tank. Apparently the new ones have dual holding tanks.

I've mixed feelings on the mixed tank setup. There's plusses and minuses for sure. But it's simple, and it's light, and that's important.

We're pretty savvy and conservative with use (we're not new to RV'ing by any stretch) so we could easily go 3-4 days between fresh water fills and tank empties if needed.

It's a single mixed tank. Apparently the new ones have dual holding tanks.

I've mixed feelings on the mixed tank setup. There's plusses and minuses for sure. But it's simple, and it's light, and that's important.

We're pretty savvy and conservative with use (we're not new to RV'ing by any stretch) so we could easily go 3-4 days between fresh water fills and tank empties if needed.
Thanks. I was wondering if you could have additional fresh water in the car to fill trailer and spread out the grey water to give you additional time without moving but I guess not. Also, moving it isn't that hard and I suspect it will be more for travelling adventures than the typical RV drive and park for quite a while.

There are certainly some disadvantages to that set up which I can get into if anybody’s actually interested, however I agree, for the type of travelling we are doing it’s fine.

The fancy mixed dual holding tanks are just another system to be maintained IMO. Its more plumbing and winterizing . I have never owned one but did have to work on one. Its not better.....

The fancy mixed dual holding tanks are just another system to be maintained IMO. Its more plumbing and winterizing . I have never owned one but did have to work on one. Its not better.....

There’s a lot of advantages to separate tanks. Mainly, if you’re dry camping somewhere like a provincial park and are staying on a site for a week or something and fill up a grey or galley tank it’s far more pleasant to empty just grey into a tote for disposal at the dump station versus a black/mixed tank where your dealing with not just shower and sink water, but poopy shower and sink water.

You also can’t have an (*ahem*) “accidental” slow leak at one of your grey dump valves that just happens to reduce the volume in those tanks overnight into the grass if urgently needed. When there’s black contents mixed in that results in a whole different result on the ground?

Holding tank winterizing isn’t a big deal. Flush a few times, empty, leave all valves open, done.

If I had my way it would have a separate grey tank, but again, simple is fine. It’s got what I’m estimating to be a 75L holding tank which is honestly fine for even a few days of dry camping / boondocking, even with a few quick showers before a dump is needed.

If the mixed tank becomes an issue I actually contemplated swapping out the toilet for a cartridge style toilet instead. No more toilet black water in the holding tank (so it’s grey only from that point forward) and cartridge toilets are awesome as you can empty them anywhere there’s a public bathroom. The rental we had last fall had a cartridge toilet setup and it was pretty convenient- I emptied it quite a few times at roadside parks and such with bathrooms - no dump station necessary. And if some grey water “accidentally” leaks out while on an extended boondock, well, oops. ?

Back
Top Bottom