Alternate toys to fight boredom | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alternate toys to fight boredom

I'm picking up two RC sailboats later today, a laser and a marblehead 50 , the laser is about 30" long and the marblehead is 50" , mast will be over 6ft. I have never 'captained' an RC boat so this is new ground for me. Which is pretty comical since I have built 4 RC scale boats for other people including molding the fiberglass hulls, casting lead keel bulbs and making masts and rigging, never sailed one.

I’m about to try out 2 new things...

1. buddy got a new 3D printer so I bought his old one to see what it’s like and whether it’s worth pursuing
2. Decided to buy some seeds from OCS and see if they’ll grow here in our yard which had light all day long

1. buddy got a new 3D printer so I bought his old one to see what it’s like and whether it’s worth pursuing
2. Decided to buy some seeds from OCS and see if they’ll grow here in our yard which had light all day long

We planted some Romaine in a piece of PVC eaves trough, a relocatable garden. We'll see.

Inspired by this thread, and some free time on vacation, I pulled out the old Nikko Ford F150 RC car.
My son has been having a blast with it! And he's figured out that reverse steering thing PP mentioned earlier.

Maybe time to get new batteries for the.....what is this? Skyline GTR?
My brother gave it to me years ago and my older boy had no interest.
Been sitting on a shelf in the garage for at least a decade.
01de313ee43f7a215de27e2c9dd6adad.jpg
06e354cebd6dc557b9fcab8e9efa6065.jpg
777d1e537833b022f8c352af77c1a923.jpg
c28b053b670dd0326e0db60b89991414.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Snap a couple of pics with the body off of that car, I will be able to tell you what it is. You can pm them if you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snap a couple of pics with the body off of that car, I will be able to tell you what it is. You can pm them if you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does that help?
c3def0d82888d3925c953c392bfa18a6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I’m gonna find me a small RC car and buy one for my boy that he can cash around as well.

chopper maybe once I get the hang of it.

I’m gonna find me a small RC car and buy one for my boy that he can cash around as well.

chopper maybe once I get the hang of it.
I had a friend that bought a nitro helicopter back in the day. He was planning on learning how to fly and then use it to take pictures of houses for real estate agents and similar. This was long before UAV's were available. He paid something like $3K for the chopper/remote/etc. The project was a bust. He never got good enough to fly the thing. Practised for many hours with it tethered (you can play with it in ground effect but if you have the tethers and legs set properly, you can't crash it, it just lands again. It was just too hard to fly without putting more time in than he had. He offered to sell it to me for 1K and I turned him down. I knew I would end up with a super cool looking thing on the shelf that I couldn't fly well either.

Weather permitting we have about 8 rockets to launch today. Should be a bunch of fun. A variety of rockets, ones with parachute men payloads, helicopter recovery, a few 3ft+ ones and some high altitude ones. The kids (and the big kids) will have fun.

Weather permitting we have about 8 rockets to launch today. Should be a bunch of fun. A variety of rockets, ones with parachute men payloads, helicopter recovery, a few 3ft+ ones and some high altitude ones. The kids (and the big kids) will have fun.
Have fun!

Photos and videos, please.

Avoided the rain for the most part but it was windy. Went out with 4 rockets, came back with 2.5.

Any plans for Canada Day?

Might be a little late to start seeds now - I'm curious to see what happens!

Any plans for Canada Day?

Getting one stage of a rocket out of the tree in the parking lot of a condo unit would be a good start. The thing went for miles.

The kids had an absolute blast. We ended up with an audience too. Did about 8-9 launches. My buddy’s first rocket “burned up on re-entry“, I put the wadding in the wrong place on my first rocket and frazzled a parachute and it landed a bit on the hard side....the others were all fantastic. My 3ft one went stupid high and the two stages drifted forever. A helicopter landing nose cone did its job perfectly. The parachutist release worked perfectly too.

Going to get a few more rockets, some are only $8-9 online. Need another box of engines too. Honestly, not bad for hours of fun. My wife had a blast too.

absolutely !
I put the small one in the river last night. I've raced boats (real boats) my whole life, this was very different. I'm used to the feedback from the helm and driving a sail, standing 50ft away on the shore trying to figure out where the wind was coming from.... oy vey. This could take a while, but time I have LOL
I have a lake :D
but it you're going to need to sail a lot better then 50 feet ;) :LOL: and I know where the wind goes here,
it swirls around in every direction imaginable.

It's actually kind of perfect for RC boats, it has lots of high view points.
... they are only calling for 5 to 13 kph winds tomorrow and the rest of the week, is that enough wind for a marblehead 50?

Last edited:
I have a lake :D
but it you're going to need to sail a lot better then 50 feet ;) :LOL: and I know where the wind goes here,
it swirls around in every direction imaginable.

It's actually kind of perfect for RC boats, it has lots of high view points.
Damn swirling winds. I tried wind surfing last week and in a few seconds I went from hanging off the sail to pushing on it as the wind reversed.

Back
Top Bottom