Advice to get business going | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice to get business going

For me it started as a product that I required. When I saw the quality I thought if I need/want this others might as well...
Definitely a market for it. An old boss of mine gave me advice and he said ‘If you ever get a product line the first thing you want is an identified territory that YOU can build. Don’t ever take a product / service where you’ll be competing with others that sell the exact same thing because now it’s a race to the bottom.’

I would never accept to sell something that is being sold by others from the same mfg. Not worth it as your best differentiator is price if it’s the same item.

Good luck! I’d start off with blasting any and every garage door installer you can find on Kijiji, FBMP, and any other group…but I don’t know 💩

@Jampy00 , take a look at what Elton Manufacturing in Milton Ont is producing . He was a customer of mine for years and makes garage and man door weatherstrip and lite systems . Maybe some crossover available.

He was a garage door mechanic and realized weather stripping sucked so he set up his own extrusion plant .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I would consider it but no one would pay what I would have to charge to make it worth while.

Sent from the future
I see two options.

1) A mobile service with a stocked van. Convenient for the bike owner and low capital set up for the service provider. However very inefficient for the service guy so price would have to be stiff.

2) Shop service with massive rental overheads and huge off season low income months.

Definitely a market for it. An old boss of mine gave me advice and he said ‘If you ever get a product line the first thing you want is an identified territory that YOU can build. Don’t ever take a product / service where you’ll be competing with others that sell the exact same thing because now it’s a race to the bottom.’

I would never accept to sell something that is being sold by others from the same mfg. Not worth it as your best differentiator is price if it’s the same item.

Good luck! I’d start off with blasting any and every garage door installer you can find on Kijiji, FBMP, and any other group…but I don’t know 💩
Good Advice. I'm the main dealer for Ontario for this particular product, but for my other business it is highly competitive with numerous manufacturers, dealer, distributor etc. We're still doing well and have room to grow operations. There is always a way to win..

Yes, for 2024 I'm working on building the business and the brand so sales will start locally and grow from there.

@Jampy00 , take a look at what Elton Manufacturing in Milton Ont is producing . He was a customer of mine for years and makes garage and man door weatherstrip and lite systems . Maybe some crossover available.

He was a garage door mechanic and realized weather stripping sucked so he set up his own extrusion plant .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Thanks for this, I might be considered a competitor, but always will to try..

Good Advice. I'm the main dealer for Ontario for this particular product, but for my other business it is highly competitive with numerous manufacturers, dealer, distributor etc. We're still doing well and have room to grow operations. There is always a way to win..

Yes, for 2024 I'm working on building the business and the brand so sales will start locally and grow from there.
Well I wish you all the best then! TONS of garage door installers / fitters around so I'm sure you can have a few deals made in short order.

Well I wish you all the best then! TONS of garage door installers / fitters around so I'm sure you can have a few deals made in short order.
Thanks, we'll see what happens.

What is it with so many scammers out there...

I take a SMALL deposit just to make sure I can get started, and the customer doesn't change their mind after I end up buying material that I'm stuck with...but I'd never consider asking for 50% or so up front.

What is it with so many scammers out there...

I take a SMALL deposit just to make sure I can get started, and the customer doesn't change their mind after I end up buying material that I'm stuck with...but I'd never consider asking for 50% or so up front.
Such a common scam that many places either ask for a very small deposit or no deposit at all.
Most of the contractors I have dealt with at the new place have actually refused a deposit. How the times have changed...

Does anyone want to start a side hustle for a bike oil changes? I used to do my changes at home, but just don't have the time anymore and calling around shops and trying to get an appointment sucks.
I remember SpeedWorx when they ran out of a 1000'sq' industrial unit.

They did a lot of different services (their shop was always full of Ducs getting Desmo'd) -- but I recall a nonstop lineup for fluid and tire changes. A Jiffylube and quick tire change service for bikes could work if you can get cheap shop space. CapX investment is small, a couple of lifts, basic tools, and a decent tire changer and balancer.

They did a lot of different services (their shop was always full of Ducs getting Desmo'd) -- but I recall a nonstop lineup for fluid and tire changes. A Jiffylube and quick tire change service for bikes could work if you can get cheap shop space. CapX investment is small, a couple of lifts, basic tools, and a decent tire changer and balancer.
My concern would be more about liability, insurance etc., I think that is where the costs (or risks) might be more than the tools, space and equipment. Licensing likely complicates it even more.

Also for a rider, it is a seasonal hustle that peaks when you want your free time to ride.

On a different thread I just made a comment about mankind and goats destroying the environment that supports them. It works on seasonal machinery as well.

Instead of letting a shop make a few bucks storing your seasonal passion and doing a tune up or repair in less hurried times, people store their toys at uncle Joe's farm. When fishing, riding or sledding season opens dozens of toys arrive at the toy shop for a tune up because they won't start.

Instead of letting a shop make a few bucks storing your seasonal passion and doing a tune up or repair in less hurried times, people store their toys at uncle Joe's farm. When fishing, riding or sledding season opens dozens of toys arrive at the toy shop for a tune up because they won't start.
It's not a few bucks though. It's hundreds to thousands depending on size of toy. Land at uncle joes farm is far cheaper than land where most shops operate (and uncle joe may not charge you anything).

My concern would be more about liability, insurance etc., I think that is where the costs (or risks) might be more than the tools, space and equipment. Licensing likely complicates it even more.

Also for a rider, it is a seasonal hustle that peaks when you want your free time to ride.
Liability is a catch 22. If you have assets you need to protect them with insurance. Insurance looks for paperwork so does a techie need a mechanics certificate to do an oil change?

If not, what if the customer asks for a small extra like adjusting a clutch. If you can adjust a clutch why not the brakes? Oh, it needs a small brake part and suddenly you're a full service shop.

It's not a few bucks though. It's hundreds to thousands depending on size of toy. Land at uncle joes farm is far cheaper than land where most shops operate (and uncle joe may not charge you anything).
My 1400 SF industrial unit cost me about $10K a year for maintenance, insurance, utilities and taxes. Business insurance was on top. NO rent or mortgage in the numbers.

My 1400 SF industrial unit cost me about $10K a year for maintenance, insurance, utilities and taxes. Business insurance was on top. NO rent or mortgage in the numbers.
Now run the numbers todays pricing and the math become a little bit different. 10k/year is probably closer to 20-30k depending on location.

That side hustle better pay good!

For my 1000 sqft it's about 2500-3000 a month all in.
It's a dump...

I have a 3000 sqft commercial unit and you're looking at about 8-10K per month now a days...

Back
Top Bottom