Advice to get business going | Page 10 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice to get business going

For me it started as a product that I required. When I saw the quality I thought if I need/want this others might as well...
Definitely a market for it. An old boss of mine gave me advice and he said ‘If you ever get a product line the first thing you want is an identified territory that YOU can build. Don’t ever take a product / service where you’ll be competing with others that sell the exact same thing because now it’s a race to the bottom.’

I would never accept to sell something that is being sold by others from the same mfg. Not worth it as your best differentiator is price if it’s the same item.

Good luck! I’d start off with blasting any and every garage door installer you can find on Kijiji, FBMP, and any other group…but I don’t know 💩

@Jampy00 , take a look at what Elton Manufacturing in Milton Ont is producing . He was a customer of mine for years and makes garage and man door weatherstrip and lite systems . Maybe some crossover available.

He was a garage door mechanic and realized weather stripping sucked so he set up his own extrusion plant .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I would consider it but no one would pay what I would have to charge to make it worth while.

Sent from the future
I see two options.

1) A mobile service with a stocked van. Convenient for the bike owner and low capital set up for the service provider. However very inefficient for the service guy so price would have to be stiff.

2) Shop service with massive rental overheads and huge off season low income months.

Definitely a market for it. An old boss of mine gave me advice and he said ‘If you ever get a product line the first thing you want is an identified territory that YOU can build. Don’t ever take a product / service where you’ll be competing with others that sell the exact same thing because now it’s a race to the bottom.’

I would never accept to sell something that is being sold by others from the same mfg. Not worth it as your best differentiator is price if it’s the same item.

Good luck! I’d start off with blasting any and every garage door installer you can find on Kijiji, FBMP, and any other group…but I don’t know 💩
Good Advice. I'm the main dealer for Ontario for this particular product, but for my other business it is highly competitive with numerous manufacturers, dealer, distributor etc. We're still doing well and have room to grow operations. There is always a way to win..

Yes, for 2024 I'm working on building the business and the brand so sales will start locally and grow from there.

@Jampy00 , take a look at what Elton Manufacturing in Milton Ont is producing . He was a customer of mine for years and makes garage and man door weatherstrip and lite systems . Maybe some crossover available.

He was a garage door mechanic and realized weather stripping sucked so he set up his own extrusion plant .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
Thanks for this, I might be considered a competitor, but always will to try..

Good Advice. I'm the main dealer for Ontario for this particular product, but for my other business it is highly competitive with numerous manufacturers, dealer, distributor etc. We're still doing well and have room to grow operations. There is always a way to win..

Yes, for 2024 I'm working on building the business and the brand so sales will start locally and grow from there.
Well I wish you all the best then! TONS of garage door installers / fitters around so I'm sure you can have a few deals made in short order.

Well I wish you all the best then! TONS of garage door installers / fitters around so I'm sure you can have a few deals made in short order.
Thanks, we'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom