Advice to get business going | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice to get business going

When I started the business I wanted my own shop. I mentioned it to a developer I was doing a job for and he asked if I wanted to rent or buy. He said "We screw you when you rent"
Don't disagree, but if I bought a unit for business, renting to another business would be my business..

Don't disagree, but if I bought a unit for business, renting to another business would be my business..
I know lots of small landlords that bought an industrial condo and either rent the shop portion out and keep the office or rent the office out and keep the shop for toy storage. The half they rent roughly covered costs so they got space without hurting cashflow. As with residential, that probably doesn't work anymore for recent purchases.

I know lots of small landlords that bought an industrial condo and either rent the shop portion out and keep the office or rent the office out and keep the shop for toy storage. The half they rent roughly covered costs so they got space without hurting cashflow. As with residential, that probably doesn't work anymore for recent purchases.
Doesn't work with commercial anymore either.

Sent from the future

Agreed, If you're buying a unit for a "side hustle" it's not a side hustle anymore it's a business. I was being somewhat sarcastic with my previous comment. At least to me the entire idea of a side hustle is to make more money than you spend on it. Even for the side hustle I am in the process of ramping up, my main focus is to keep all initial costs as low as possible, if the hustle grows, so will my costs to ensure it keeps growing.
I see far too many people, start a small business and rack up thousands (or more) in debt to create an image of success before they are even successful then fail as their profits can never catch up to their expenses...

Looks good. My only point would be to clean up this item:

1716485291290.png

You've got products, colours, all jumbled in. Organize that better.

You also have descriptions for the Bottom Sealer / Top & Side Sealer, but nothing on the Snirt Grabber...which appears to be the one that needs the most explanation as the others are fairly clean.

I'd probably change the @gmail.com to something XYZ@garageproseal.com

Remove 'Our Happy Customers' until you have some testimonials or actual happy customers. Otherwise it's just begs the question 'have you sold any yet? Am I the first test subject?'

Haven't checked all links yet, but I would set it up as different pages instead of all on one. 'Home', 'Products', 'Reviews', 'About Us' to keep things neater.

Otherwise good job. I need to get off my *** and do it. How did you like the process? Recommendations to start?

Looks good. My only point would be to clean up this item:

View attachment 67839

You've got products, colours, all jumbled in. Organize that better.

You also have descriptions for the Bottom Sealer / Top & Side Sealer, but nothing on the Snirt Grabber...which appears to be the one that needs the most explanation as the others are fairly clean.

I'd probably change the @gmail.com to something XYZ@garageproseal.com

Remove 'Our Happy Customers' until you have some testimonials or actual happy customers. Otherwise it's just begs the question 'have you sold any yet? Am I the first test subject?'

Haven't checked all links yet, but I would set it up as different pages instead of all on one. 'Home', 'Products', 'Reviews', 'About Us' to keep things neater.

Otherwise good job. I need to get off my *** and do it. How did you like the process? Recommendations to start?
Good Feedback, Thank you!
Funny enough I can't organize those images they just go where they fit... I 100% agree they piss me off...
Yes, I'll update descriptions.
I'll change the email if the need arises.
Yes, I'll remove the reviews section (for now)
I was hoping for a simple single page site, do people really click through all the pages anymore?

I'm using godaddy for everything and just the free versions, so far I like it, pretty easy to use.

Ok, I have my website completed, Looking for some constructive feedback on what can be improved, added, removed etc.

www.garageproseal.com

Let me know your thoughts, Thanks!
In general I dislike when businesses have godaddy/wix flags. Imo, businesses should pay the money to make those go away (or build on a server that doesn't add them but that has other complications). Similarly, I want email to be @garageproseal.com. If you want that to forward to gmail behind the scenes, that's fine.

Garage Pro Seal image at the top linking back to the only page is a hangover from the template. If you have multiple pages, that would make more sense.

What is snirt? Snow and dirt? What size (or sizes) is snirtgrabber?

Font consistency matters to me.

I wouldn't have the paragraphs expand. They are short enough that they could be fully visible without clicking.

Why colon after "Transform your space"?

I would include a colour palette with names. There are a few that could result in communication hiccups (beige vs tan for instance) and unhappy customers.

"PDF VIEWER" adds nothing. I would disappear title and make link larger and more obvious.

As with MP, I would probably play up that you are a small Canadian business.

Do you have the rights to use the images? That red brick house is widely used and doesn't look like a house in Canada. I would swap out for something you took in Canada when you can.

It would be interesting to add some quantitative numbers. Test an existing garage with a blower door, install your seals all around and test again. Report ach before and after. Then you have math that supports the cost of your seals through energy saving in a climate controlled garage.

You have no discussion of retail/wholesale nor available sizes. It's a pretty contact us page but many people want some answers without having to actively reach out. Are you shipping only or is pickup available? If pickup is an option, a rough location is helpful.

Good job making the phone/email/hours easy to find.

Overall not a bad start. Personally, I probably wouldn't bother contacting you as it sits now I don't feel a personal connection and it could be a front for a chinese manufacturer. Probably add something about stock available in your Ontario warehouse.

In general I dislike when businesses have godaddy/wix flags. Imo, businesses should pay the money to make those go away (or build on a server that doesn't add them but that has other complications). Similarly, I want email to be @garageproseal.com. If you want that to forward to gmail behind the scenes, that's fine.

Garage Pro Seal image at the top linking back to the only page is a hangover from the template. If you have multiple pages, that would make more sense.

What is snirt? Snow and dirt? What size (or sizes) is snirtgrabber?

Font consistency matters to me.

I wouldn't have the paragraphs expand. They are short enough that they could be fully visible without clicking.

Why colon after "Transform your space"?

I would include a colour palette with names. There are a few that could result in communication hiccups (beige vs tan for instance) and unhappy customers.

"PDF VIEWER" adds nothing. I would disappear title and make link larger and more obvious.

As with MP, I would probably play up that you are a small Canadian business.

Do you have the rights to use the images? That red brick house is widely used and doesn't look like a house in Canada. I would swap out for something you took in Canada when you can.

It would be interesting to add some quantitative numbers. Test an existing garage with a blower door, install your seals all around and test again. Report ach before and after. Then you have math that supports the cost of your seals through energy saving in a climate controlled garage.

You have no discussion of retail/wholesale nor available sizes. It's a pretty contact us page but many people want some answers without having to actively reach out. Are you shipping only or is pickup available? If pickup is an option, a rough location is helpful.

Good job making the phone/email/hours easy to find.

Overall not a bad start. Personally, I probably wouldn't bother contacting you as it sits now I don't feel a personal connection and it could be a front for a chinese manufacturer. Probably add something about stock available in your Ontario warehouse.
Wow, Thanks for that great feedback.

Already made some changes based on @mimico_polak feedback.
I go through what you have suggested and make more changes.

Just to be clear the business is not operational yet, still in setup process this is why I am using free versions of things.
I'll look into the email more, didn't think it was that big of an issue, good to know.

Some of the generic images are place holders and stock photos from godaddy, I only added the snirtstopper content.

I have some work to do.. lol

Wow, Thanks for that great feedback.

Already made some changes based on @mimico_polak feedback.
I go through what you have suggested and make more changes.

Just to be clear the business is not operational yet, still in setup process this is why I am using free versions of things.
I'll look into the email more, didn't think it was that big of an issue, good to know.

Some of the generic images are place holders and stock photos from godaddy, I only added the snirtstopper content.

I have some work to do.. lol
That all makes sense to me. I wasn't trying to dismiss your efforts just letting you know what I saw.

There are some people/businesses that make a living extorting businesses over copyright violations. The extorter may or may not even have the legal copyright to the image but the letters look scary. If you know that you took the images or paid for them on a legitimate stock image site (and I would hope godaddy provided images are licensed for commercial use), you can ignore the letters and sleep well.

That all makes sense to me. I wasn't trying to dismiss your efforts just letting you know what I saw.

There are some people/businesses that make a living extorting businesses over copyright violations. The extorter may or may not even have the legal copyright to the image but the letters look scary. If you know that you took the images or paid for them on a legitimate stock image site (and I would hope godaddy provided images are licensed for commercial use), you can ignore the letters and sleep well.
I took no offense at all, I'm working on this in my spare time (and I'm not very good at it) so your feedback was well received.
At this time a lot of it is simply cut and paste to fill up the template, but as I progress I am sure it will look and feel better as a website.
I think early on any sales will be done through FB marketplace, word of mouth etc. The website was not even on my radar, but since I paid for the domain I figured why not use it?

I'm updating email now to sales@garageproseal.com I agree it does look better but GoDaddy wanted too much money, so I set up with Gmail and saving a few buck each month.

I took no offense at all, I'm working on this in my spare time (and I'm not very good at it) so your feedback was well received.
At this time a lot of it is simply cut and paste to fill up the template, but as I progress I am sure it will look and feel better as a website.
I think early on any sales will be done through FB marketplace, word of mouth etc. The website was not even on my radar, but since I paid for the domain I figured why not use it?

I'm updating email now to sales@garageproseal.com I agree it does look better but GoDaddy wanted too much money, so I set up with Gmail and saving a few buck each month.
Good step with the email. I actually saw that also (which is why I asked) who you were using, because these 'free' sites start adding up costs very quickly afterward.

- oh you want your own personal email? $$$
- oh, you want our logo gone? $$$
- oh, you want to actually be found online? $$$

But it's CODB. I haven't done it yet (outside of registering my company domain with .ca) to ensure it's not taken. Same goes for Instagram (which I don't like), but did setup a page for my company also with project photos (before and after).

Good step with the email. I actually saw that also (which is why I asked) who you were using, because these 'free' sites start adding up costs very quickly afterward.

- oh you want your own personal email? $$$
- oh, you want our logo gone? $$$
- oh, you want to actually be found online? $$$

But it's CODB. I haven't done it yet (outside of registering my company domain with .ca) to ensure it's not taken. Same goes for Instagram (which I don't like), but did setup a page for my company also with project photos (before and after).
Yes, it is easy to rack up loads of expenses before you even get started. While we all know "You got to spend money, to make money" we still need to spend it wisely. I'm continuing to make changes based on @GreyGhost feedback, I really appreciate the constructive input, it is very helpful. Let me know when you site is up, so I can trash all your work... LOL :p

I see far too many people, start a small business and rack up thousands (or more) in debt to create an image of success before they are even successful then fail as their profits can never catch up to their expenses...

When you have $80,000 in the bank and a paid-off $1,000 work truck, people may assume that you're broke. However, if you have $1,000 in the bank and an $80,000 financed truck, people assume that you're doing great.

It's important not to let material possessions fool you into judging someone.
💸

When you have $80,000 in the bank and a paid-off $1,000 work truck, people may assume that you're broke. However, if you have $1,000 in the bank and an $80,000 financed truck, people assume that you're doing great.

It's important not to let material possessions fool you into judging someone.
💸
I knew I heard that somewhere…

1716502175553.png

Been showing up in my fb feed for weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom