Adventure Motorbike Camping | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adventure Motorbike Camping

I’ve done it for years. We called it “Stealth camping”. In late out early.
Same here only we like to call it vagrant camping. That said we only buy/cook food that can be done over a fire with no utensils. Think hot dogs and no dishes to wash.

Hammock camping is great in really bad weather, no wet tent to pack up, no sleeping bags that need to dry out. Put your roof tarp up first and you can setup or pack-up under it even in the pouring rain.
All good until your vagrant camp site is short of trees ( been in more than one gravel pit for the nite) or your so far north the trees are too small (ie JBR or the trans taiga)

"In late out early" is great for "covert" camping, but for legal crown-land camping GET THERE EARLY unless you're North of Timmins. All popular spots are busy even throughout the week, and you are legally allowed to stay on a site for 3 weeks (it changed with covid but that's probably temporary) so you get people hogging the good spots.

Even crown land 5 hours North of Toronto (ie Temagami area) has become so much busier in the last decade. Red Squirrel Rd with dozens of crown land camp sites attached to small lakes used to be a go-to spot for us 20 years ago, but now unless you arrive there Thursday afternoon everything is occupied for the weekend.

I prefer a solo tent or bivy to a hammock.

Hammocks are a pain to get in and out of and they only allow 1 sleeping position.
"In late out early" is great for "covert" camping, but for legal crown-land camping GET THERE EARLY unless you're North of Timmins. All popular spots are busy even throughout the week, and you are legally allowed to stay on a site for 3 weeks (it changed with covid but that's probably temporary) so you get people hogging the good spots.

Even crown land 5 hours North of Toronto (ie Temagami area) has become so much busier in the last decade. Red Squirrel Rd with dozens of crown land camp sites attached to small lakes used to be a go-to spot for us 20 years ago, but now unless you arrive there Thursday afternoon everything is occupied for the weekend.
Im not sure how they do it, but cyclists holding and release sites to one another. Anyone know if they have an app or network that helps them do this? Any cyclists here?

but for legal crown-land camping GET THERE EARLY unless you're North of Timmins. All popular spots are busy even throughout the week, and you are legally allowed to stay on a site for 3 weeks (it changed with covid but that's probably temporary) so you get people hogging the good spots.
Depends what your idea of crown land camping is. If you're looking for somewhat developed (IE, low hanging fruit) crown land sites that you can virtually ride/drive into, sure. But if you're talking crown land as a whole, well, theres eleventy million acres of it - you can hike into it anywhere you can walk to it from your bike/car/whatever and away you go. Sure, you may not find a nicely pre-used campsite with an existing fire pit etc etc, but you most certainly can find a nice chunk of forest somewhere to call your own, it might just take some effort to get there versus the easy-picking options..

When i was going last yr, i was told that the black bears was really thick in some area's. Even coming into towns. Made me a little nervous

I never camp anywhere outside developed (IE, provincial parks) without bear spray. It stays next to my head tucked into one of my shoes, always in arms reach and upright.

Being a smart camper is also essential....IE proper bear territory food and waste etiquette - not leaving any food (or scraps, or anything) near your tent to begin with that would attract them.

We have done a lot of rough camping in the north and never seen a bear. We leave food in camp and arn,t overly careful with waste. FWIW

Ontario black bears are generally not aggressive towards people
exception is older ones late in the season that haven't been able to gather enough calories
they can get aggressive if you're not smart with food storage

Who here has done this or looking at trying it for the first time?

I'm not talking about staying in CG I'm saying picking random spots on your travels and camping. Setting up your stove and tent and spending the night

Random spots like behind a Walmart or a patch of forest off the side of the road?

Random spots like behind a Walmart or a patch of forest off the side of the road?
Don't know how much adventure camping a person would get at a wallyworld, I'm talking wild camping in the forest or a patch along the side of the road

Don't know how much adventure camping a person would get at a wallyworld, I'm talking wild camping in the forest or a patch along the side of the road
Easy access to food and bathroom plus your bike will be parked on level asphalt. Depending on your bike. taking it down a narrow trail and finding a suitable area to park and camp may be a challenge.

i9RnKXM.jpg

When i was going last yr, i was told that the black bears was really thick in some area's. Even coming into towns. Made me a little nervous
In Ontario I have never had issues with bears. Once you hit the Canadian Shield, they are regulars anywhere you find garbage and common in the woods. Further north they are regulars in towns too.

If you're careless with food, expect racoons and bears to come prospecting for a free meal.

Neither will hunt or prey on you.

Bear story, my son was on a guided hike last year in the foothills of the Rockies. The guide told everyone that brought "bear bells" , the sleigh bells hikers like to dangle to warn bears they are coming, to put them wrapped in a towel or whatever and place them into the bottom of thier backpack.

The bears have figured out when they hear a bell and charge the hiker, the hiker will toss the backpack so they can run faster, and lunch is always in the backpack. The bear consider them dinner bells.

I would wager regualr provincial parks are HOT SPOTS for black bears.
I was car-camping with a large group (2-3 sites) 2 years ago at Bon Echo or Killbear. We were not careful enough with coolers/bear boxes and a mother and 2 cubs came through and cleaned out our coolers. I was fast asleep but the site that they went through were able to get into cars and spectated (safely).

Also reporting: They LOVE hashbrowns.

Reactions: J_F
^ you telling me the bears don't respect the permit required sign?
WTF?
I always thought that would keep me safe

it's like the hordes of Toronto people that clog up Algonquin to take pictures of the turning leaves
not knowing that trees outside the park boundary have also learned that trick

the boundaries are for us

Back
Top Bottom