Adventure Motorbike Camping | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Adventure Motorbike Camping

there are still some beauty spots to crown land camp

the deer trail route in algoma district is a good example

can ride from the hwy a few hundred yards and camp lakefront w/o any neighbours - ompa lake, rainbows from shore

other spots you have neighbours if you prefer; still free

got an adventure bike? travel down a logging road and find a spot to camp - have an entire lake to yourself

seven hours from toronto

there are still some beauty spots to crown land camp

the deer trail route in algoma district is a good example

can ride from the hwy a few hundred yards and camp lakefront w/o any neighbours - ompa lake, rainbows from shore

other spots you have neighbours if you prefer; still free

got an adventure bike? travel down a logging road and find a spot to camp - have an entire lake to yourself

seven hours from toronto
The deer trail route is awesome! Did it this summer, while they were paving the entire thing lol. At one point we rode through 15km of 10 inch deep gravel, freshly laid and unpacked.
I'll be returning next summer to do it properly.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

I was riding on Sandy Lake rd this summer (off hwy 560 near Shining Tree) and saw 3 bears in an hour. Would definitely bring bear spray if camping anywhere remote.

Wild camping is great, we've done it many times.

If you want to be legal about it, be prepared beforehand, get a map and know where you can or can't pitch tent. You don't get a good night sleep with one ear open, thinking every crunch of tires on gravel is RCMP or local constabulary looking to evict you.

Even if sleeping under the stars is not your thing, always carrying camping supplies is good thing if for whatever reason (mechanical failure, traffic, weather) you don't make it to a place where there is shelter, electricity, running water, etc.

But really, why stay in a five-star hotel when you can stay in a billion-star hotel?

I live in bear country. One used to routinely trample our back-yard overnight to steal food from our bird feeder. I see them often on the trails that we ride on.

However, the fear over bears is overblown.

Some facts:

- The most aggressive bear is the Grizzly. They are non-existent in Ontario.
- Black bears are the most common bear in Canada. They are mostly afraid of people and will run away if they see, hear or smell you.
- Of all bear attacks - 84% are Grizzlies, 14% are Black Bears and 2% are Polar.
- Even in BC, Black Bears outnumber Grizzlies by 10-to-1 - and the ratio is even higher in populated areas
- Polar bears are just as aggressive as Grizzlies, but the chances you will ever see one in the wild is remote unless you live north of the Arctic Circle.
- The reason Black Bears attack, is if you surprise them or threaten their cubs, hence the advice to make lots of noise on the trail or at the campsite so you give the Black Bear ample opportunity to steer clear
- Most Black Bears attacks are on hunters who move stealthily and thus tend to surprise bears.
- In a study of bear attacks in US National Parks, you are more likely to be gored by a bison than attacked by a bear.

Just use common sense: Make lots of noise on the trails/campsite, don't keep food in your tent or near where you are sleeping. Keep food in air-tight containers. Keep bear spray handy *if* you do surprise a bear.

But to not go camping or hiking or whatever because you are afraid of bears? That's just being a Silly City Slicker.

But to not go camping or hiking or whatever because you are afraid of bears? That's just being a Silly City Slicker.
Bears cant be any more threatening than toronto drivers

I live in bear country. One used to routinely trample our back-yard overnight to steal food from our bird feeder. I see them often on the trails that we ride on.

Some facts:

- Black bears are the most common bear in Canada. They are mostly afraid of people and will run away if they see, hear or smell you.
- Of all bear attacks - 84% are Grizzlies, 14% are Black Bears and 2% are Polar.
- Even in BC, Black Bears outnumber Grizzlies by 10-to-1 - and the ratio is even higher in populated areas
- Polar bears are just as aggressive as Grizzlies, but the chances you will ever see one in the wild is remote unless you live north of the Arctic Circle.
- The reason Black Bears attack, is if you surprise them or threaten their cubs, hence the advice to make lots of noise on the trail or at the campsite so you give the Black Bear ample opportunity to steer clear
- Most Black Bears attacks are on hunters who move stealthily and thus tend to surprise bears.
- In a study of bear attacks in US National Parks, you are more likely to be gored by a bison than attacked by a bear.

Just use common sense: Make lots of noise on the trails/campsite, don't keep food in your tent or near where you are sleeping. Keep food in air-tight containers. Keep bear spray handy *if* you do surprise a bear.

"Make noise" we would often light fireworks off before bedding down for the night. Not sure it helped but as I said never seen seen a bear while rough camping. That includes an old gravel pit on the JBR that had bear scat and lots of spent 303 shells.

Don't be afraid to ask locals. More than once close to dusk we have run into locals who could direct us to nearby crown land/ free camping spots.

What about moose? They can be aggressive and can hurt you given their size.

327bbb8743e703b8a79077103ea2dac1.jpg

And do what with the knife?
Stabby stabby anything that tries to eat you, that's what.

People have saved themselves from being eaten by having the wherewithal to fight back versus just going quietly into the night.

Are you likely to still be a little (or a lot?) ****** up if a bear or a large cat attacks you and you start stabbing the crap out of it? Perhaps. But you may still be alive when it's all over.

Some facts:

Yes, agree. You don't need to be afraid of bears. Go ahead and pet one. He'll like you even better if you feed him. Your left hand perhaps.

Well srsly, black bear attacks are rare but when they happen we always get the old "Well that's not normal behavior for a bear". But it is, and the people downplaying them are usually trying to keep their tourist dollars. On any day a bear might just walk past you and ignore you. That'll be most days. Run across a bear that hasn't eaten in a few days though, and you could have a serious problem. Ask the kid that was killed in Algonquin Park a few years ago while sleeping in his tent. As usual, he and his boy scout entourage were told that bears aren't a problem, just don't feed them. "They're actually more afraid of you that you are of them." Ha ha, what a lie. It depends on what mood the bear is in. They don't like a hassle, but given the choice between a hassle and starvation well, you're food.

My favorite is the old bs tale the Ontario Park Rangers were spinning about wolves. "There's never been a recorded wolf attack in Canada" they proudly proclaimed in their tourist propaganda. As if. The next summer one of their own was attacked and eaten by a wolf pack, right next to her pickup truck. Idiot. The tourist guides were hastily rewritten.

It's a struggle for wild animals to survive every day. That makes them unpredictable. Chances are slim that you'll have a problem, but don't make it easy to have a problem. Make noise on the trails. Hang your food in bag high up in a tree away from your camp site. Carry bear spray, and as you meander down the trail with your backpack full of food wearing a cowbell, try to keep your wits about you. Chances are you'll never have a problem, but some idiot always wins the lottery every year.

I’ve spent a lot of time in the wilderness. I’ve seen many bears and moose etc at close range.

Could they potentially attack, absolutely, and it is something I’m acutely aware of. I’m definitely not scared though as it’s very unlikely. Be smart with food etc

A close friend had a bear poke it’s head in his tent, some clapping and yelling and it ran off. Certainly it could have been worse but odds are against that.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I was riding on Sandy Lake rd this summer (off hwy 560 near Shining Tree) and saw 3 bears in an hour. Would definitely bring bear spray if camping anywhere remote.
did you at least get to watch them for awhile?
they can be quite entertaining

set up camp on a river and seen a couple bear cubs across the river; cool..
but five minutes later there's two soaking wet cubs at our campsite
cannot see mom anywhere - banged some logs on the rocks to scare off the cubs
thankfully mom never showed herself; and the cubs exited at a run
wild !

kind of old information
but the site/thread below has some good suggestions

I like the sound of Red Squirrel Road - old logging road
west off #11, north of North Bay
winds it's way through a vast crown land area with dozens of lakes
anyone explore this recently? I'm gonna check it out this coming season

Camping areas

Back