ABS brakes vs non ABS | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

ABS brakes vs non ABS

It's interesting to note that my owners manual states that there are situations where a rider may be able to stop in a shorter distance without ABS. This makes perfect sense to me since I think if a rider finds a vacant parking lot and practices aggressive emergency stops, he or she should be able to haul a bike down to a stop very quickly. When you practice that type of braking you learn where the point of lock-up is and you then know how to react to it or avoid it.

there have been several tests showing that a talented rider can brake harder than abs given several attempts on the same patch of pavement (by a couple feet).......only problem is you won't have several attempts in an emergency situation, not to mention the pavement adhesion levels will be different than in your parking lot.

Never done it before, I don't have the braking sensitivity to pull it off and stay upright. That's why I want to see how ABS would handle it.

Given that there's a rather large sideways moment of inertia, that's one time that ABS wouldn't save you.

Ok, that posted video is for idiots who don't know how to ride.
I don't normaly lock the brakes and lean over in the rain.
In the rain is the only place where ABS may come into use for an experienced rider.
My wife has a new SV650 with ABS and I hate it to death.
Every stop, I mean every stop I must take care not to make the ABS kick in.
When I want stop, I want to lock the back wheel a bit. I feel that it extends my stopping distances significantly when coming up on stop lights because of the stutter bumps at every intersection.

One day, my wife was following behind me on a ride. The light turned yellow, I looked behind to see how close my wife was and if it was safe to slam on my brakes. If she was too close, I would have sailed through the intersecion, saving an accident.
But she was way back with plenty of space. Thank God she was over to the right of me, because when I came safely to a stop behind the white line, she sailed past me and half into the intersection, thanks to ABS.

When she gets more experience, I'm dissconection that crap.

It bites, and I hate it. I may make an overide for when I ride her bike.

One day, my wife was following behind me on a ride. The light turned yellow, I looked behind to see how close my wife was and if it was safe to slam on my brakes. If she was too close, I would have sailed through the intersecion, saving an accident.
But she was way back with plenty of space. Thank God she was over to the right of me, because when I came safely to a stop behind the white line, she sailed past me and half into the intersection, thanks to ABS.

Not buying it. You sure she didn't nail it to keep up, thinking you were going to make the light?

Absolutely.
She had the look of horror on her face as she was holding firm on the brakes and wondered what the hell was happening. As she sailed right past.
ABS for bike sucks

I have ABS on my bike and nothing bad to say about them, they never kicked in so far, even with some emergency situation...

Not buying it. You sure she didn't nail it to keep up, thinking you were going to make the light?

Low Rider is absolutely correct.

He is talking about the dreaded ABS release that is common to many ABS equipped bikes.

When braking over small bumps, the system releases the brakes, even though you have the lever pulled tight. Needless to say, this extends stopping distances. The owners manual on my bike even says it could happen.

Your best bet, is to release the lever for a split second, and reapply again. Easier said than done in a panic situation, I know.

It has discusses and beaten to death on the F800 forums. The guys have found that setting up the suspension properly helps tremendously. I've experienced it twice on my F800, but ever since I modded my suspension, I've never experienced it since on road or track.

Absolutely.
She had the look of horror on her face as she was holding firm on the brakes and wondered what the hell was happening. As she sailed right past.
ABS for bike sucks

I seriously question this! not trying to start something here but I would get her ABS system checked out then! Because My SV has it and I've stopped my bike from highway speeds to a grinding halt that feels like it will throw you over the bars in pretty short distances!

Sorry mate! I'm thinking it might be a bit of driver error, lack of ability, or a incorrectly working system. On a side note: tire condition can be a factor in stopping distance but I'm assuming the bikes tires are in safe operating conditions with enough tread and proper air pressure as well. Tires will have an effect on stopping distance but not at the big distance that you're portraying.

That's my nickel.

^^^

When I have time later tonight, I will find a detailed post I made on another forum a while ago with links to show that ABS release is a real situation, and happens to many different makes of bikes. Im fairly certain it happens with some cars too.

Some of the links are from reviewers who were testing the bikes and noticed this. Everyting from Harley Davidson, BMW, Kawi and Suzukis.

^^^

When I have time later tonight, I will find a detailed post I made on another forum a while ago with links to show that ABS release is a real situation, and happens to many different makes of bikes. Im fairly certain it happens with some cars too.

Some of the links are from reviewers who were testing the bikes and noticed this. Everyting from Harley Davidson, BMW, Kawi and Suzukis.

Oh I believe you and that this can happen....but his statement was a bike with ABS was not worth it.

What Sunny posted is correct. An extended ABS brake release is a very scary situation and it fits perfectly with what happened to lowrider's wife.

I seriously question this! not trying to start something here but I would get her ABS system checked out then! Because My SV has it and I've stopped my bike from highway speeds to a grinding halt that feels like it will throw you over the bars in pretty short distances!

Sorry mate! I'm thinking it might be a bit of driver error, lack of ability, or a incorrectly working system. On a side note: tire condition can be a factor in stopping distance but I'm assuming the bikes tires are in safe operating conditions with enough tread and proper air pressure as well. Tires will have an effect on stopping distance but not at the big distance that you're portraying.

That's my nickel.

Been riding for 18 years, my Bandit 1250 is my first ABS bike.
I will not buy another bike without ABS........
It saved my ••• big time one night in the rain when a deer ran out in front of me. Also saved my ••• when I went into a corner to hot ( rider error? Yes but still helped me pull out of it uprite)
I do find however that setting up the suspension properly helped a lot with the ABS coming on prematurely.
If ABS can save you butt once it's worth it.

What Sunny posted is correct. An extended ABS brake release is a very scary situation and it fits perfectly with what happened to lowrider's wife.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by 09SV650S

That's my nickel."

I did agree with Sunny so whats the deal? But a bike with ABS is still safer than one with out.

I've never tried abs on a bike but I know what it feels like in my car when I go over a rough patch hard on the brakes and I get a mushy pedal and could only imagine how quickly I'd need new undies (preferibly lace). I can imagine it would help you stop more controlled under less than ideal conditions but I think I'd still opt out on the option.

I'd like to see someone ballsy enough to grab a handful at full lean and hope abs saves them. Your obviously going way to fast for the conditions or terrain if you test this. Coming around a blind corner with an unforseen obstiacal counts as going to fast, you couldn't see far enough to react.

Even in those situations where the ABS makes you take a little longer to stop, I'd probably prefer that in most situations to having the front lock and the bike fly out from under you.

I always thought the primary function of ABS on a bike was that you don't slide the front out when braking suddenly and to stop a little quicker in wet. I've always read that the ABS system still cannot deal with braking while leaned as there are just too many forces in various directions operating on the bike in that situation. If it is actually going to save your *** when leaned then that's a bonus on top of the other things.

Low Rider is absolutely correct.

He is talking about the dreaded ABS release that is common to many ABS equipped bikes.

When braking over small bumps, the system releases the brakes, even though you have the lever pulled tight. Needless to say, this extends stopping distances. The owners manual on my bike even says it could happen.

Your best bet, is to release the lever for a split second, and reapply again. Easier said than done in a panic situation, I know.

It has discusses and beaten to death on the F800 forums. The guys have found that setting up the suspension properly helps tremendously. I've experienced it twice on my F800, but ever since I modded my suspension, I've never experienced it since on road or track.

Ah OK I can buy that, makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

That's my nickel."

I did agree with Sunny so whats the deal? But a bike with ABS is still safer than one with out.

Do a little online searching then. It's a known intermittent issue, with current ABS systems. If you hit a bump when it's activated, the system will occasionally kick out for an extended period, once the tire is grounded again. This can result in quite radically extended braking distances. It even occurs with the BMW S1000RR. It doesn't happen all the time and ABS is definitely a benefit, but it's serious brown trousers time when it does occur.

I have the ugly step-sister to the SV. Never had a problem with the ABS.

I have the ugly step-sister to the SV. Never had a problem with the ABS.

If it comes down to a question of suspension tuning as Sunny said, then some will and some won't have a problem. But if that's the issue then manufacturers are doing a poor job of explaining to the public the importance of suspension setup for the proper functioning of ABS.

I still worry about the implementation of all these safety devices that will be coming to the Motorcycle industry in the near future. One just needs to take a look at what all of these safety devices ABS,TC, DSTC etc etc have done to the car industry.

Sure the cars are much safer, they brake,steer, wipe your arse for you, but overall the quality of driving by the average Canadian has decreased since the introduction of said safety devices.

Sometimes learning from your mistakes is key. A new riders first highside or lowside is usually a good reminder of how dangerous it can be operating two wheels on a public road. Once TC and ABS becomes the norm i feel this important wake up call will disappear.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom