A Ride up North - James Bay | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

A Ride up North - James Bay

It's because the BC Interior is treated like a vacation spot for Alberta oil money.

There are a lot of seasonal residents who live and work in Calgary, who own summer properties by the lakes in the Okanagan, and these "outsiders" are seen as not having any stake or investment in BC. They're perceived to be loud and boorish, polluting the lake with power toys, etc. Never mind that in reality, most people doing all that are locals...

The economy in BC outside of Vancouver is hurting. Unemployment may not be high, but all the jobs here pay close to minimum wage and most locals are unable to keep up with the rising cost of living. Alberta money is seen as contributing to these rising costs, as real estate has been gobbled up by rich Albertans. People who live and work in the the interior can't afford rent, meanwhile properties owned by Albertans are left sitting empty 8 months out of the year. So there is an element of resentment there as well.

Very similar to the animosity against Chinese money chasing after Toronto real estate.

I know a few people who left BC and moved to Calgary for the better costs of living, yet Alberta treats them well. Why would BC have a thing against Ontario, or the rest of Canada? Even the slogan "The Best place on Earth" is pretty arrogant IMO. I know places on Earth that are much better.

As for the living costs, a lot has to do with chinese/overseas funds, I have family there who got approached by a car outside their house, chinese lawyer in a car, offered double value on the house, cash. They sold it, and still live in it, it's just parked real estate. I know 2 other people that had this same thing happen, one sold, other is waiting to retire.

I tried moving there for 3 years, went back and forth, and one day would still love too, just now I know, BC stands for Bring Cash. The people do scare me away, and lack of diversity

I know a few people who left BC and moved to Calgary for the better costs of living, yet Alberta treats them well. Why would BC have a thing against Ontario, or the rest of Canada? Even the slogan "The Best place on Earth" is pretty arrogant IMO. I know places on Earth that are much better.

It's actually pretty nice here. Outside of the cost, I can't think of a lot of downsides.

I tried moving there for 3 years, went back and forth, and one day would still love too, just now I know, BC stands for Bring Cash.

Yep. Popular place for CPP money. The only people here are the newly-wed and the nearly-dead.

It's because the BC Interior is treated like a vacation spot for Alberta oil money.

There are a lot of seasonal residents who live and work in Calgary, who own summer properties by the lakes in the Okanagan, and these "outsiders" are seen as not having any stake or investment in BC. They're perceived to be loud and boorish, polluting the lake with power toys, etc. Never mind that in reality, most people doing all that are locals...

The economy in BC outside of Vancouver is hurting. Unemployment may not be high, but all the jobs here pay close to minimum wage and most locals are unable to keep up with the rising cost of living. Alberta money is seen as contributing to these rising costs, as real estate has been gobbled up by rich Albertans. People who live and work in the the interior can't afford rent, meanwhile properties owned by Albertans are left sitting empty 8 months out of the year. So there is an element of resentment there as well.

Very similar to the animosity against Chinese money chasing after Toronto real estate.
I find BC to be a lazy province, too many years on govt handouts make the workforce lazy and investors wary.

They need the oil men’s money because they lack industriousness and productivity, unless that gets fixed the average Joe will be under someone’s thumb forever.

1618949168527.png

I'm tossing this around as a ride at some point this year assuming interprovincial is still frowned upon and the JBR ride ain't gonna happen.

Only ~3000km but covers a few areas I like or have been wanting to check out:

- On the way north head up Highway 129 and have fun running the Ontario tail of the dragon a few times back and forth. It was oh so short, but it was sweet. Probably spend night 1 camping at Tunnel Lake Trading post so I can run the road a few more times the next day.
- The soo to Nipigon is always enjoyable. Reminds me of out west...or as close as we can get in Ontario.
- Stop and see Ouimet Canyon again. Hopefully not in a torrential downpour like the last time I was there. It was epic.
- Some highway 11 Zen road. Yeah, some call it boring. I call it zen time.
- Highway 631 between 11 and white river, as recommended here.
- Shoot back down to Wawa on the TC and then the 101 through Chapleau and over to Timmins.
- Out of Timmins, I regularly see Highway 566 on the list of best motorcycle roads in Ontario. Shoot over to Matachewan.
- Slight dip south to 560 and back west over to Highway 144 and down to Sudbury. Also a well regarded road apparently. 566 and 560 have been on my list for some time.

Sudbury on home via whatever.

From Chapleau you could run east on the Sultan rd. It's gravel so more fun on a KLR but I have done it on a Wing.

I don't mind gravel, but is there some good scenery or sights along that road that make it worth it vs the asphalt alternative?

I don't mind gravel, but is there some good scenery or sights along that road that make it worth it vs the asphalt alternative?
Trees. Lots and lots of trees. So many this is a logging area. Great vagrant camping though, no shortage of firewood.

View attachment 48231

I'm tossing this around as a ride at some point this year assuming interprovincial is still frowned upon and the JBR ride ain't gonna happen.

Only ~3000km but covers a few areas I like or have been wanting to check out:

- On the way north head up Highway 129 and have fun running the Ontario tail of the dragon a few times back and forth. It was oh so short, but it was sweet. Probably spend night 1 camping at Tunnel Lake Trading post so I can run the road a few more times the next day.
- The soo to Nipigon is always enjoyable. Reminds me of out west...or as close as we can get in Ontario.
- Stop and see Ouimet Canyon again. Hopefully not in a torrential downpour like the last time I was there. It was epic.
- Some highway 11 Zen road. Yeah, some call it boring. I call it zen time.
- Highway 631 between 11 and white river, as recommended here.
- Shoot back down to Wawa on the TC and then the 101 through Chapleau and over to Timmins.
- Out of Timmins, I regularly see Highway 566 on the list of best motorcycle roads in Ontario. Shoot over to Matachewan.
- Slight dip south to 560 and back west over to Highway 144 and down to Sudbury. Also a well regarded road apparently. 566 and 560 have been on my list for some time.

Sudbury on home via whatever.
When you refer to Ontario's "tail of the dragon" is that a short strip of 129? I've ridden both 129 down south and 129 up here. No even close.

I’ve ridden both as well. It’s the closest ones going to get in Ontario and the Tunnel Lake Trading Post is marketing it as such to attract riders. They even have a dragon out front now.

FWIW I enjoyed the Back of the Dragon far more vs the dragon itself.

But is it only a portion of 129 that makes up our dragon or is it considered the whole ride to Chapleau.

Also what is the back of the dragon? There's so much great road down there thanks to them not being under the curse of the British Surveyor.

I’ve ridden both as well. It’s the closest ones going to get in Ontario and the Tunnel Lake Trading Post is marketing it as such to attract riders. They even have a dragon out front now.

FWIW I enjoyed the Back of the Dragon far more vs the dragon itself.
They also sell the shirts inside lol. They have a couple nice designs, but none in my size when I was there last year.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

But is it only a portion of 129 that makes up our dragon or is it considered the whole ride to Chapleau.

Also what is the back of the dragon? There's so much great road down there thanks to them not being under the curse of the British Surveyor.
I think it's the length of 129, but the first half is the best.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

The southern portion of the 129 between Thessalon and Aubrey Falls is considered the good part. The section north of Aubrey Falls, quickly becomes a snoozer.

The back of the dragon is this: Tazewell to 1121 N Main St

and more good US roads here: Stateside Roads - the twistier the better!

Oh no, it’s just a tiny portion of the south end of 129 that’s the good part. Once you’re north of it it’s pretty much flat and straight all the way to Chapleau. Rode it last year. 129 was made to be way more than it was in all the reading I’d done, so I was hyped….we left Chapleau and then we rode for something like 2 hours before we got to the 5 minute good part lol.

That’s why this time I’m just going to shoot off at Thessalon and go north to the good section (25-30 minutes) and play for a few hours back and forth. Then continue on the TC to see the nice lakeshore stretch.

Anyhow, back of the dragon was detailed by Shane. Next time anyone’s down there, do it. It was just like the Dragon in most spots but many times longer. Very under appreciated.

As I recall even if the the north end wasn't horribly twisty the road had a lot of good elevation changes and scenic vistas

Back
Top Bottom