900,000 students coming in… | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

900,000 students coming in…

When we were looking at houses prior to the renovation here we saw multiple houses with 2-3 apartments in the basement. When I asked about 'how legal are these?' I got a chuckle from the realtor.

I bailed on those. Pretty sure guy on my street has a handful of illegal basement tenants but he did have permits in his windows when he did the work.
Yea, 14 years ago when we were looking we saw many basements with the "blanket" walls, way too many beds and hotplates and laundry sinks used as toilets. This was Mississauga, we would not step foot into Brampton.

I was standing at the office door of a property manager and overheard him telling an owner that he couldn't rent his parking spot to someone who didn't live in the building. He added "Besides, there's someone living in the van."

Lakeshore / Southdown
Problem solved, assuming the parking garage is in the building, they are renting a spot in the building and living in a van that is in the building :)

it's actually very common in Brampton. Not sure about other areas. I've been seeing similar ads for some time now... and lots of them.
In Sept I had a group of young men beg us to rent them a 1br house close to a college. They wanted to put 2 bunk beds in the single bedroom.

Would have saved each of them $300/mo over renting a room in a boarding house.

The house is nowhere near Toronto.

Yea, 14 years ago when we were looking we saw many basements with the "blanket" walls, way too many beds and hotplates and laundry sinks used as toilets. This was Mississauga, we would not step foot into Brampton.
Years ago when I was getting my industrial unit inspected by Ontario Hydro Inspection the inspector mentioned his worst nightmare being waking up in the morning and hearing about a fatal fire in a basement he had recently inspected.

As far as the barracks bedrooms go we have become blind to what other people consider normal. My daughter's 1000 SF 3 BR house previously housed a family of seven. One bathroom. Now, that would be cruelty. How do you fit three big screens in a bedroom?

Years ago when I was getting my industrial unit inspected by Ontario Hydro Inspection the inspector mentioned his worst nightmare being waking up in the morning and hearing about a fatal fire in a basement he had recently inspected.

As far as the barracks bedrooms go we have become blind to what other people consider normal. My daughter's 1000 SF 3 BR house previously housed a family of seven. One bathroom. Now, that would be cruelty. How do you fit three big screens in a bedroom?

Well even those conditions are better than where they came from. Once you bring in enough people who are okay with that, the standard of living starts to slide...

Well even those conditions are better than where they came from. Once you bring in enough people who are okay with that, the standard of living starts to slide...
And this is what a lot of people don’t understand.

‘How can they live in those conditions?’

Life is a lot harder in a lot of other places. So ‘horrible’ conditions to us, are oftentimes better for those that come here from their own homes.

There’s a reason they left. And it’s not to be worse off than they were.

I understand making a code apartment can be cost prohibitive and people need to live somewhere. I’m not convinced getting close can’t be done , the worst are lack of exit points . Yes that basement window cut down to egress size will cost 3k and the nieghbours will see it . And a set of basment exterior stairs can cost 15k . What’s a life worth ??

Sounds preachy I know , I’ve been in a fire and the PSTD makes me look for an exit at every place I go. I go into a banquet hall and look for fire exits .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Yes because they are known criminals and gangsters in the homeland , go to Canada to dodge a bullet and run the same program here .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Ahh so the Canadian government only vets people from other first world nations? When I came here I had to have a full background check/certificate from the AFP, financial statements, personal references and medical records etc etc etc. How does a 'gangster" get in with no issues at all?

Ahh so the Canadian government only vets people from other first world nations? When I came here I had to have a full background check/certificate from the AFP, financial statements, personal references and medical records etc etc etc. How does a 'gangster" get in with no issues at all?
Probably because the places that the "gangsters"come from don't keep records like we do.

Good gangsters don’t get caught.

And in a lot of third world countries all it takes is a simple bribe to get away with whatever you want.

Let’s not forget that human life has much less meaning in a lot of parts of the world.

I understand making a code apartment can be cost prohibitive and people need to live somewhere. I’m not convinced getting close can’t be done , the worst are lack of exit points . Yes that basement window cut down to egress size will cost 3k and the nieghbours will see it . And a set of basment exterior stairs can cost 15k . What’s a life worth ??

Sounds preachy I know , I’ve been in a fire and the PSTD makes me look for an exit at every place I go. I go into a banquet hall and look for fire exits .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
There's a posh condo in the GTA with an egress problem. One new director has found that the sun room / den of the unit he bought was designed as a balcony.

In many cases balconies were meant to be areas of refuge in case of a fire. Without them other means of egress and smoke avoidance have to be in place.

His isn't the only unit.

He paid for something he may not have the right to keep and there will be a financial setback.

Who built the enclosure and when?

Was a building permit issued?

Was a permit reviewed by the fire marshal?

Did the property manager approve the project?

Did the board approve the project?

Are the electrics legal as balconies might, as best, have one 15 amp circuit?

If the manure hits the fan blades it could be the mother-lode for condo lawyers.

Merging hijacks, I was once asked by an elderly couple for a price to enclose their balcony. They wanted to bring a "boy" from their old country to help with chores. It would be his bedroom. Sleeping on an exposed concrete floor with a 1500 watt plug in heater would chill his enthusiasm to work. I passed on it.

That has to be rhetorical, but just in case, flush their papers down the toilet on the plane and claim refugee status.

I can't believe anyone in Canada in 2023 doesn't know about that scheme.

Their parents have a responsibility to make sure they're supported. Why should we be subsidizing daycare for 18+ young adults parachuted into the country?
Sadly it is sometimes a village supporting a student, conditional on the student sending support money back home once they get landed and get a job.

Just for reference, a weekend shift flipping burgers here is an average weeks pay in India. Lots make less than average. Minimum wages vary from 5 to 10 dollars per day.

The economics are ugly and not getting better. Unless 100% of the world population 100% helps it can't improve.

Starting Jan 1 2024, a single applicant will need to show they have $20,635, representing 75% of LICO, in addition to their first year of tuition and travel costs. This will be indexed to LICO every year. This is up from the current $10,000 requirement.

Other things in the works:

Students will be able to work 30 hours a week (vs current 20). This might remove some exploitation as students are often taking cash jobs at exploitive wages to make ends meet.

Removing the distance learning time credit for work permits. Currently, students can apply up to 50% distance learning credits, not they will need to be on campus to accrue study time.

Eliminating the 18-month work permit extension.

IRCC (Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship) will review all applications before issuing VISAs as a fraud control measure.

IRCC is qualifying schools, a “recognized institution” sets a higher standard, those schools will get priority processing of study permits.

All looks good to me.

Sadly it is sometimes a village supporting a student, conditional on the student sending support money back home once they get landed and get a job.

So? If they can't afford it, why should I subsidize their future meal ticket? We can't keep printing money for the pet projects of these cabinet ministers. It's unsustainable.

Back
Top Bottom