900,000 students coming in… | GTAMotorcycle.com

900,000 students coming in…

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
WTF!? We can barely keep up with the demands on housings and jobs and we are importing 900,000 students this year alone!?

I mean effing hell, is everyone scared to call this $hit out because they’ll be classified as a racist?

‘Students’ signing up for run of the mill diploma ‘colleges’ so they can bypass the system and strain our quickly draining resources.

Shut it down. Let’s get our house in order first.

This is now 900,000 people to feed, house, and protect. Not to mention some of these students are running to the food bank for free food. Those should be found, visas revoked, and lifetime ban on coming to Canada.

Wow.

Why bother having visas and other restrictions on entering Canada?
Just open up the gates and remove all border crossing guards.
Let everyone in for whatever reason they want to come over here for.

Wow.

Why bother having visas and other restrictions on entering Canada?
Just open up the gates and remove all border crossing guards.
Let everyone in for whatever reason they want to come over here for.
Once they have an application to a 'college' (regardless of whether it's one of those run of the mill ones), they get an express line toward receiving their PR.

Foreign students pay big bucks to attend our colleges and universities.
Their tuitions help keep the schools afloat.
I'm not saying that it's the best answer, but it is an economic fact.
This is the problem. The economic implications on these colleges / universities takes precedence on the rest of the economy.

As we stand, housing is unaffordable, new rules allow student workers to work MUCH more (they used to limit their hours they can work legally), and now with this latest (and I hope rare) food bank stealing...the rest of the country gets royally screwed (primarily GTA and GVRA).

They should shut it down regardless of the financial hit the colleges / universities take.

IIRC the US has 8x the population of Canada...yet they only accept <400,000 students. Canada only allowed 350k in 2015.

I am not an economist by any means but maybe the feds should pump some money into the universities/colleges.

I get that the foreign students are helping these schools stay afloat but in the end they are really hurting the rest of the system. Housing,social services etc.

They should shut it down regardless of the financial hit the colleges / universities take.

IIRC the US has 8x the population of Canada...yet they only accept <400,000 students. Canada only allowed 350k in 2015.
If they shut down the influx of foreign students some of our schools will go broke and close.
In the U.S. to get a university degree can be financially crippling for decades after you graduate - that's not the answer either.
When Bill Davis introduced the community college program that was supposed to be an affordable opportunity for higher education and it worked for a while.
Capping the number of non-residents is likely the best idea, but how many and where do you want to put them ?

If they shut down the influx of foreign students some of our schools will go broke and close.
In the U.S. to get a university degree can be financially crippling for decades after you graduate - that's not the answer either.
When Bill Davis introduced the community college program that was supposed to be an affordable opportunity for higher education and it worked for a while.
Capping the number of non-residents is likely the best idea, but how many and where do you want to put them ?
Well...if the schools go broke, maybe they're just not good schools? From what I'm reading (but not fully educated on this) the majority of the students are going into the private schools in strip mall plazas which are nothing more than mills for diplomas that are effectively useless when compared to the big schools.

And if they're only method to staying afloat, is handing out useless diplomas and helping students jump the queue toward a Canadian PR...I'd have zero sympathy if they fall apart and fail.

Now, if York / UoT / Ryerson / McMaster or any other large school was in danger of failing...maybe that can be looked into.

But first thing's first...reduce the influx as we can't actively sustain this ATOP the new open door policy of immigration in order to bring in boatloads of people into an economy that cannot sustain itself.

Well...if the schools go broke, maybe they're just not good schools? From what I'm reading (but not fully educated on this) the majority of the students are going into the private schools in strip mall plazas which are nothing more than mills for diplomas that are effectively useless when compared to the big schools.

And if they're only method to staying afloat, is handing out useless diplomas and helping students jump the queue toward a Canadian PR...I'd have zero sympathy if they fall apart and fail.

Now, if York / UoT / Ryerson / McMaster or any other large school was in danger of failing...maybe that can be looked into.

But first thing's first...reduce the influx as we can't actively sustain this ATOP the new open door policy of immigration in order to bring in boatloads of people into an economy that cannot sustain itself.
Diploma mills are nothing new but at least here in Canuckistan they are supposed to be accredited.
If they aren't that's the gov's fault.
Make them all go to school in Manitoba and Saskatchewan - see how they like the winters.

If housing is a bigger issue in the area of school X then allow a bigger percentage of students to stay at school Y in an area that has a bit more housing available for them.
But then you also end up with more slumlords that will house students in less than ideal conditions because the students are so desperate to get in.

But we're a bit too late in fixing the issue, the housing isn't here and they're-a-comin.
Who wants to start building tiny homes in peoples' backyards? lol

First question I have is, do we have 900,000 jobs that match the 900,000 diploma's?
I doubt we do.

Good way to suppress wages when you have 900k students coming in that are willing and happy to do minimum wage jobs.
Perhaps, but I see many of them running back home with a diploma and leaving debt.

WTF!? We can barely keep up with the demands on housings and jobs and we are importing 900,000 students this year alone!?

I mean effing hell, is everyone scared to call this $hit out because they’ll be classified as a racist?

‘Students’ signing up for run of the mill diploma ‘colleges’ so they can bypass the system and strain our quickly draining resources.

Shut it down. Let’s get our house in order first.

This is now 900,000 people to feed, house, and protect. Not to mention some of these students are running to the food bank for free food. Those should be found, visas revoked, and lifetime ban on coming to Canada.

Don't forget that when many of these kids (including high school kids) buy houses for millions, they don't count as foreign buyers. Politicians are dirtbags.

Re: strip mall dipolmas ? whats a useless degree/ certificate? Red seal chef ? job any where in Canada , hours suck . Hair cutting ? almost every head has hair , work anywhere .
Environmental Science ? we graduated about 200k of them in the last decade, we have several friends kids that are not working in that field....

On the students coming in . Thats an industry unto itself , and the people making a LOT of money on it are not letting go willingly

Allowing students to go to school here is not the same thing as granting them immigration status - once their visas run out they'll still have to jump through the hoops in order to stay. As was mentioned earlier in the thread, it is however a great way for the parents to buy said student a condo to live in and launder some offshore currency at the same time. Once junior is done, they can sell it, rent it, or just let it sit empty as property values increase.

Diploma mills are nothing new but at least here in Canuckistan they are supposed to be accredited.
If they aren't that's the gov's fault.
Make them all go to school in Manitoba and Saskatchewan - see how they like the winters.
They are not accredited, or at least the one I got. I tried to use it to enter a course at a normal college and got turned down because it wasn't. To me these private colleges are just another bad Gov program with an optics agenda. It's enough to show the Gov is supporting and spending money on education but looking at it, its in the wrong place, and the wrong people are benefiting, those running the schools. They seriously need to shut this stuff down. Some of them are just video tutorials with no teacher interaction and after so many weeks you get a diploma. How is that helpful!

Foreign students pay big bucks to attend our colleges and universities.
Their tuitions help keep the schools afloat.
I'm not saying that it's the best answer, but it is an economic fact.
Sounds very similar to the real estate market making excuses for high housing prices. Once you get use to the taste you can't go back.
Schools are a business and they are gatekeepers. This is a huge problem in the USA where they know how to rig it for their benefit, or the price of privilege. I hope we never get there here but relying on foreign students to keep them afloat sounds like bad business.

Back
Top Bottom