900,000 students coming in… | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

900,000 students coming in…

I really struggle with the idea that private for profit education and healthcare are a good thing. Faster and cheaper sure but better? (remember that cheap, fast, or good pick two??) If we look to the same model in the LTC sector I would say it has not turned out better.

Give Dofo and PP enough time and we will surely find out.
Wynne got Ford elected and it looks like JT will get PP elected.

My definition of a Canadian is a person who wants Canada to last as a peaceful, prosperous and progressive nation. Your colour, place of birth etc etc doesn't matter.

It's hard to make that work if people are greedy.

Greedy investors that want more every year with no effort or input.

Greedy individuals that expect nanny state to pick up the tab for every mistake they make.

Again look at how for profit LTC worked out. And maybe let me know when you want to send your kids to a for profit education.

I won't argue our healthcare is effed. The fact that government is reluctant to quit sucking on the drs junk and make them straighten out is beyond me.

Again look at how for profit LTC worked out. And maybe let me know when you want to send your kids to a for profit education.

I won't argue our healthcare is effed. The fact that government is reluctant to quit sucking on the drs junk and make them straighten out is beyond me.
Some of the for-profit LTC are great. As with most commodities, it is important to have sufficient system capacity to allow choice. If the capacity existed for you to easily move to a better facility, the bad facility needs to either drop prices or improve service. If you are capacity constrained, the most profitable scenario is terrible service as you will remain full. As MM pointed out, many of the private homes are also the old crappy homes with ward rooms. Basically setup to be bare minimum care (or worse).

If you look at retirement homes, some of the private ones are amazing and most people would be very happy there with tons of activities and great food. Big dollars to stay in though (in the ballpark of 100k per year).

What's the positive spin on Charter schools that end up favoring the rich???

You mean like catholic schools?

EDIT:
I think there should be a single publicly funded school system. If you want something different, feel free to pay for it on your own dime. We should not have eight school boards in every district (public, public french, catholic, catholic french all for both elementary and high school). Cutting seven school boards is an easy way to save a fortune, optimize facility usage and eliminate the stupid squabbles over land. School buildings are grossly underutilized (occupied something like 15% of the year but kept clean and warm (and now often cooled) 100% of the year). Eliminating most of them would be very positive.

Last edited:

Name a world leader that instills confidence. If you have no confidence in your leaders why risk your life or economics for the better good. Grab what you can before someone else grabs it. Don't leave anything on the table.

I sometimes wonder if the Liberal and Conservative parties aren't the same party playing a game, taking turns ripping the country off.

I'm even getting jaundiced on charities.

Name a world leader that instills confidence. If you have no confidence in your leaders why risk your life or economics for the better good. Grab what you can before someone else grabs it. Don't leave anything on the table.

I sometimes wonder if the Liberal and Conservative parties aren't the same party playing a game, taking turns ripping the country off.

I'm even getting jaundiced on charities.
Jacinda Ardern was good. I know some didn't like her for her approach to covid but when she thought something was a good idea, it happened quickly and with brutal effect regardless of the political backlash. The closest I've seen to a benevolent dictator.

Competition fuels efficiencies and innovation.

Charter schools vary considerably from area to area, and I have never seen data on outcomes.

I do have personal experience, one of my kids started in a charter school and did very well. We were not rich, the mix of kids went from poor to rich, income was not part of the qualification. His school required students and teacher to qualify.

Parents were deeply engaged in school activities, teacher selection and fundraising. Kids did considerably better in testing,

Ontario has magnet high schools and gifted streams but they tend to cater to ego and specialization rather than focusing on achievements and outcome. Providing a private, non profit option could work to increase competition and enable parents, not unions, to drive the system.

Competition fuels efficiencies and innovation.

Charter schools vary considerably from area to area, and I have never seen data on outcomes.

I do have personal experience, one of my kids started in a charter school and did very well. We were not rich, the mix of kids went from poor to rich, income was not part of the qualification. His school required students and teacher to qualify.

Parents were deeply engaged in school activities, teacher selection and fundraising. Kids did considerably better in testing,

Ontario has magnet high schools and gifted streams but they tend to cater to ego and specialization rather than focusing on achievements and outcome. Providing a private, non profit option could work to increase competition and enable parents, not unions, to drive the system.
When I was little, I got the opportunity to go to a private school but not the lifted nose kind. It was started by an educator that was disenchanted with the public school system. She would only hire teachers that loved to teach and were good at it and admit students that were smart and wanted to learn. Tuition was thousands, not tens of thousands as she wanted it to be accessible. With no doubt in my mind, it was better than the public school system at everything. Her problem was too much altruism, not enough business as it went bankrupt. Switching to the public school system was a shock. We were years ahead and the transition was jarring. Even small things like teaching conversational french where the public system teaches vocabulary and conjugation and almost nothing useful. That would be a trivial change that would vastly improve the quality and usefulness of education but it's harder to mark and decades later public system remains mostly unchanged.

Jacinda Ardern was good. I know some didn't like her for her approach to covid but when she thought something was a good idea, it happened quickly and with brutal effect regardless of the political backlash. The closest I've seen to a benevolent dictator

I liked her and my Kiwi brother switched parties to vote for her. Her resignation was blamed on burnout but also decline in party popularity. Good leaders have to say "No" to a lot of people. Bad leaders say "Yes" Guess who gets elected.

The idea of a benevolent dictator is great but where there is any vestige of prosperity individuals start wanting more. That results in unrest that gets quelled by policing which in turn gets people angry so they overthrow the benevolent guy and in comes another looter.

When I was little, I got the opportunity to go to a private school but not the lifted nose kind. It was started by an educator that was disenchanted with the public school system. She would only hire teachers that loved to teach and were good at it and admit students that were smart and wanted to learn. Tuition was thousands, not tens of thousands as she wanted it to be accessible. With no doubt in my mind, it was better than the public school system at everything. Her problem was too much altruism, not enough business as it went bankrupt. Switching to the public school system was a shock. We were years ahead and the transition was jarring. Even small things like teaching conversational french where the public system teaches vocabulary and conjugation and almost nothing useful. That would be a trivial change that would vastly improve the quality and usefulness of education but it's harder to mark and decades later public system remains mostly unchanged.
My kid had a tough time adjusting. He started in jk at a charter school and like his class mates was at a higher proficiency level.

When we moved here, I chose the neighborhood partly due to the fact it’s elementary and secondary schools were high performing.

His gr 1 teacher quickly recognized he had already learned the alphabet, basic arithmetic, so she plunked him in a gr2 class for part of the day. By November they transferred him into gr3.

It all worked out for him, he stayed at the top of his class till he finished university. I firmly believe the great start he got in a charter school was the game changer.

You mean like catholic schools?

EDIT:
I think there should be a single publicly funded school system. If you want something different, feel free to pay for it on your own dime. We should not have eight school boards in every district (public, public french, catholic, catholic french all for both elementary and high school). Cutting seven school boards is an easy way to save a fortune, optimize facility usage and eliminate the stupid squabbles over land. School buildings are grossly underutilized (occupied something like 15% of the year but kept clean and warm (and now often cooled) 100% of the year). Eliminating most of them would be very positive.
Although I'm in 100% agreement on the public or pay up you suggest I'm not sure how the catholic school favors the rich the way a charter school would.

Full disclosure my Squeeze worked in the catholic* school where our kids** went sk-8 as a custodian. She knew EXACTLY what went on there. Don't get me started on some teachers..... You could be poor as dirt and attend that school as long as a second cousin's inlaw on your Dad's side had been catholic once. Actually that's completely true either. The requirements could up or down, year to year depending on how enrolment was doing.
As much as I believe they were trying to indoctrinate kids, no kid would go without a coat or needed meal.

*If it weren't for band camp I'd be using quaint old "D" word the way my late, RC, buddy Crazy Billy would.
**with an atheist as their dad they could resist the koolaid

My kid had a tough time adjusting. He started in jk at a charter school and like his class mates was at a higher proficiency level.

When we moved here, I chose the neighborhood partly due to the fact it’s elementary and secondary schools were high performing.

His gr 1 teacher quickly recognized he had already learned the alphabet, basic arithmetic, so she plunked him in a gr2 class for part of the day. By November they transferred him into gr3.

It all worked out for him, he stayed at the top of his class till he finished university. I firmly believe the great start he got in a charter school was the game changer.
I think we need to hand it to your and your partner. Being younger by 2 years in early school would have been hard . Back then my sister "accelertated" a grade, but then struggled in uni being by far the youngest.

I think we need to hand it to your and your partner. Being younger by 2 years in early school would have been hard . Back then my sister "accelertated" a grade, but then struggled in uni being by far the youngest.
The hard part came later. His core friends were mostly from sports teams, they were his age.

His classmate friends were driving, dating, travelling etc before him. He couldn’t get into res at University as the min age was 18. Bars were also a challenge although I’m pretty sure he sorted that.

Although I'm in 100% agreement on the public or pay up you suggest I'm not sure how the catholic school favors the rich the way a charter school would.

Full disclosure my Squeeze worked in the catholic* school where our kids** went sk-8 as a custodian. She knew EXACTLY what went on there. Don't get me started on some teachers..... You could be poor as dirt and attend that school as long as a second cousin's inlaw on your Dad's side had been catholic once. Actually that's completely true either. The requirements could up or down, year to year depending on how enrolment was doing.
As much as I believe they were trying to indoctrinate kids, no kid would go without a coat or needed meal.

*If it weren't for band camp I'd be using quaint old "D" word the way my late, RC, buddy Crazy Billy would.
**with an atheist as their dad they could resist the koolaid
I think you might not understand all the ways charter schools can be implemented.

Ontario has public and private charter schools, they are called International baccalaureate (same academic standards as leading private schools)or magnet schools ( focus on STEM, arts or athletics. ). The private schools run like true charter and private schools

In the public system, the schools are not as focussed, some are streams within regular schools, some are entirely focussed on their specialty. There have been have challenges: union muddling makes it hard to get specialized teachers, school boards are reluctant to get parents deeply involved in fundraising and operational support or implement full qualification standards.

Why don’t we spend the $10M here to help our unemployed youth?

Does JT really believe that this will help curb extremism in a culture that’s heavy into extremism?

Money printer go brrrrrrr

Why don’t we spend the $10M here to help our unemployed youth?

"The announcement was made in Windsor due to its large Iraqi community."

This is a desperate stab at vote buying. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Does JT really believe that this will help curb extremism in a culture that’s heavy into extremism?

The man-child is an idiot. He needs to be turfed. The sooner, the better.

Agreed. Why doesn’t he do such an announcement in Roncesvalles with some free money to Poland?🇵🇱

$10m for training engineers to make drones more fun.

Oh Canada.

Back
Top Bottom