$5 device to unlock car doors... | GTAMotorcycle.com

$5 device to unlock car doors...

rutakin

http://www.wheels.ca/news/new-5-device-available-on-internet-unlocks-car-doors/

A new device that costs about $5 online is allowing criminals to break into cars without leaving a trace.
The new device — which has been wreaking havoc in California for months and has now made its way to Canada, according to CBC News — is small enough to be hidden in the palm of a hand. It works by sending an electromagnetic pulse through a car’s key area to unlock the vehicle.
CBC interviewed a Winnipeg man, Rick Henzel, whose car was victimized by thieves using the new device.
Henzel said the incident was captured on security cameras he had installed about a year ago.
His cameras have caught other suspected incidents on tape as well. The raw video footage (below) taken by Henzel’s security cameras has been posted to YouTube and Facebook, showing what appears to be thieves easily “hacking” into vehicles in a driveway.
They walk up to several vehicles and apply a device to it until they find one whose door unlocks. They pump their fists, then quickly begin removing items from the vehicle and the trunk.
Security experts say the device works by hacking into a vehicle’s computer systems. The device sends an electromagnetic pulse into the vehicle, unlocking the door much like a keyless entry key fob.
The device won’t work if the car’s keyless entry system has been disabled, but this would have to be done by a mechanic. It obviously also doesn’t work on cars with manual-lock systems.
The device is a hot topic on car forums, where worried owners and curious techies are musing about how it works and how it can be stopped.

LOL
“I don’t really find it that remarkable,” a DSL Reports forum user called Mattmag said. “We used to do the same thing for free with a bent coathanger."

Glass-Breaker-Hammer-Seat-Belt-Cutter-Accident_5199704.bak.jpg

no electronics to backfire. Works 100% of the time.

Works quite well too. Carry one in my personal vehicle as well. ( but not for the intended purpose in this article)

I hear ya; those chloroform bottles are getting harder and harder to open....

Exactly!!

Were both speaking from experience i see.

Amateurs.. I use the Vulcan neck pinch :cool:

Actually I wouldn't mind having one of those to replace my regular car remote :D

There's a free device that can be used to unlock not only car doors, but the doors on houses too. It's called a 'rock.'

Car thieves in the UK carried pockets of larger pea gravel. Thrown hard enough at side windows near the corners the glass would shatter. If stopped they claimed it was just "dirt" in their pockets.

My power locks are broken so I guess I'm safe lol. Did some googling and discovered you can unlock smart-key cars by using a relay system. Basically, a transceiver that is capable of sending a signal to the key fob, picking up the faint response from the key and then relaying this to the vehicle or to an accomplice far away with a similar transceiver. Think wi-fi range extender and you've got the general idea. The range is supposed to be something like 26 feet from the keyfob to the transceiver device. How many of you leave your keys next to the front door?

pfft that's what ppl get for being lazy. I mean was it really that hard to walk up to your car, insert the key to unlock the door, lift handle and open door.

The time will come when the cars freak out in some storm or heavy snow and they start braking or doing other weird things.
People put way too much trust in electronics. Our climate goes from +40c to -40c with the addition of salt...oh nothing can go wrong with this recipe.

pfft that's what ppl get for being lazy. I mean was it really that hard to walk up to your car, insert the key to unlock the door, lift handle and open door.

The time will come when the cars freak out in some storm or heavy snow and they start braking or doing other weird things.
People put way too much trust in electronics. Our climate goes from +40c to -40c with the addition of salt...oh nothing can go wrong with this recipe.

Some luxury cars automatically unlock doors for you. You don't even have to press button, that's how lazy it is now

Not about lazy, about convenience.

Today it's harder to find a car without power windows, power locks, etc than its manual counterpart. Hyundai's have the smartkey technology. Push Start is in KIA's ffs.

Only a matter of time before it goes biometric. Thumb print to start your car.

Sent using Premium Unleaded

Yup. My personal favourite is when there is no key hole in the door and the customer forgot that he has to charge the remote to allow it to send a signal! Hahahahaha how many times we've had customers come in because they let the battery die and couldn't get in their car. Or the car wouldn't start because they didn't know where the charger was inside the vehicle....

Technology is all fine and great, but a real person still has to use it and think about it.

Perfect example, Jags used to have a key for the trunk. New models didn't have key. However the trunk release was inside the car, on an electronic switch. Battery died, need to boost battery to get juice, battery is in trunk....now you need to climb through the rear seat (if it releases from within the car) and pull the emergency release)....

There's a free device that can be used to unlock not only car doors, but the doors on houses too. It's called a 'rock.'

Rocks can bounce off of a car window at times....

Take a spark plug, break up the ceramic, take the ceramic bits, take one of the broken bits, throw at side window of vehicle, instant access.....and very very little noise.....

your tip of the day....

never did this myself.....but did see a few cars get this treatment, 15 cars in a matter of seconds for a smash and grab....

I think what many of you are missing.

You break a window it makes a noise, sets off an alarm and it is obvious from the get-go that the car is being broken into.

If they unlock the car and are smart, there is not much to say they are not the owner until they are running away. Specially if the alarm thinks it was mechanically unlocked with a key. This gives them more time to do a thorough job and also makes them much less likely to be caught or confronted.

Not about lazy, about convenience.

Today it's harder to find a car without power windows, power locks, etc than its manual counterpart. Hyundai's have the smartkey technology. Push Start is in KIA's ffs.

Sent using Premium Unleaded

Hell, the mechanical handbrake is almost going extinct

Back
Top Bottom