2021 Day Trips! | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2021 Day Trips!

After 15 days of no riding (back pain) I finally got out and did River Rd NE of Shelburne. Very nice and calming but it was over too quick and I prefer a lot more speed. Stopped for a hot dog at Champ's Burger at 10/89. Struck up a convo with a younger dude from Guelph on a ratty bare-bones Sportster....something about the simplicity of his bike struck a chord with me.
Also did 20 feet of off-roading.

View attachment 50539
I think I might have seen you ... or maybe it's someone else. I did a quick run on Sun as I was meeting some friends in the Caledon area. So I planned the trip around the area and a bit up north of Caledon.

Last edited:
We've fallen in with a bunch of BMW motorcycle riders, and we all went out for a ride up to the ski hill for lunch today.

DSCN2208-X2.jpg

DSCN2214-X2.jpg

IMG_8794-X2.jpg

Interesting how the RS has cribbed a lot of the design cues from the S1000RR, notably the split in the nose cone fairing around the headlights.

Finally got out for a longer run yesterday, after some weird weather etc, and it was a steamer of a day.

I didn't have much in mind just a couple of things to check out.

One being the loop that @shanekingsley mentioned from Burk Falls to Kearney. I started it but Chetwynd Dr at some point turned to gravel. Normally I would push through it but that time of the day I wasn't up for it turned around. Maybe another time.

BTW anyone riding around Rama, there are some messed up road closures going on (Monck rd and 169 are both partly closed and open) with really bad detours.

Here is what I ended up riding
aug 20 route.png

Pitstop in Omemee, found this frog checking out the bike
omemee frog.jpg

Just outside of Omemee I wanted to see this Double Trestle Bridge, wasn't a great idea for stroll on such a hot day though.
double trestle bridge.jpg

Stop in Minden at Rotary Park, it's some kind of natural lazy river, lots of people floating in the water.
minden rotary Park .jpg

Had enough time to go from Burk Falls to Magnetawan. Never been before. The locks
magnetawan lock.jpg

Time to head home
magnetawan.jpg

We've fallen in with a bunch of BMW motorcycle riders, and we all went out for a ride up to the ski hill for lunch today.

DSCN2208-X2.jpg

DSCN2214-X2.jpg

IMG_8794-X2.jpg

Interesting how the RS has cribbed a lot of the design cues from the S1000RR, notably the split in the nose cone fairing around the headlights.

My 2017 RT & I would like to occasionally fall in with some fellow BMW riders if the option ever arises.

Been a while,
Cheers,
Two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@sburns - how long were you out on that ride?

@sburns - how long were you out on that ride?
Which one :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The last one, about 10hrs. Yeah I go at a slower pace. Like to look around. Plus I have been dealing with a sore shoulder so after a few hours I have to take more breaks. And no real plan so making decisions as I go. Someone could do it in less if they had a plan.

Finally was able to get out for a longer ride, this is about the route I took:

The duke did surprisingly well, the wind I complain about during the last few weeks of the season ends up being quite cooling on the vast majority of hot days

Though I will admit, the thought of forward rubber footpegs did cross my mind...perhaps a sporty adventure touring bike with 17" wheels is in the future?

Last edited:
amazing what you stumble across exploring back roads
putting around near Golden Lake today
saw this setup and had stop and see WTF was going on
gal in historical garb waived me in for a visit

site.jpg

around 10 of them are staging a settlers re-enactment for the weekend
hand made clothing, no electricity, messing around with flint lock rifles and pistols
as bike pics seem to be mandatory, the Gooch is there in the parking area, right side

flint.jpg

cooking and heat provided by firebox only, started by flint and cloth
all items are handmade with natural ingredients

tent.jpg

might roll by tomorrow as more participants are coming
will be a shooting contest, axe throwing and some other neat stuff

amazing what you stumble across exploring back roads
putting around near Golden Lake today
saw this setup and had stop and see WTF was going on
gal in historical garb waived me in for a visit

View attachment 50808

around 10 of them are staging a settlers re-enactment for the weekend
hand made clothing, no electricity, messing around with flint lock rifles and pistols
as bike pics seem to be mandatory, the Gooch is there in the parking area, right side

View attachment 50809

cooking and heat provided by firebox only, started by flint and cloth
all items are handmade with natural ingredients

View attachment 50810

might roll by tomorrow as more participants are coming
will be a shooting contest, axe throwing and some other neat stuff
Very cool and interesting find! Thx for sharing

Reactions: J_F
Explored the Frontenac area yesterday. The route was pretty much derived from @shanekingsley 's gpx, with a few modifications from my end.

1630244169946.png

I left home early. The idea was to slab across the 401 and ride the backroads at dawn.

Odessa OnRoute at sunrise

1j.jpg

Rideu Canal. Would crisscross the canal multiple times

2j.jpg

1630246002420.png

St. Edward the Confessor Church in Westport

1630246245298.png

This was at the beginning of the Opinicon Rd. Narrow, twisty, hilly.

1630246355137.png

The canoe lake road. Entirely gravel, the latter section was freshly laid. Happen to be on this road out of curiosity

1630246498457.png

Canoe Lake Rd

1630246579852.png

Fall River Road

1630246646181.png

We haven't seen a lot of group rides being posted up, so we decided to post up our own. Our plan was to explore some of the snowmobile trails that we were unable to complete early in the season last year because of snow and fallen logs.

After putting the call out, we were surprised to see quite a few bikes show up. As usual, everybody wants to follow, no one wants to lead... Still, not a bad turnout for a mid-week afternoon ride!

DSCN2221-X2.jpg

We used to post up a lot of group rides on the web-based forums, but they're not as popular as social media these days, so we are getting a lot more interest when posting up rides on Facebook, WhatsApp and Tonit.

After a quick 15 minute jaunt on the highway, we leave the tarmac and hop onto the snowmobiles trails which head north towards the provincial park. Can't believe these trails are so close to our house!

There's a dam there that supplies water to the neighbouring towns:

DSCN2233-X2.jpg

The summer drought and a month of 40°+ temperatures have dried out the dam, the water level is much lower than last year. One of the water crossings across the dam which was knee high last year is now a dry bed of gravel!

DSCN2228-X2.jpg

At the south entrance of the provincial park, we stopped for a quick snack break at a cabin built by the local snowmobile club.

DSCN2230-X2.jpg

IMG_8803-X2.jpg

This is the first time we've been out on the trails in a couple of months. The weather has been so hot and dry that off-road vehicles have been discouraged to ride the trails because of the danger of starting forest fires from our exhausts or even from a spark coming off a foot-peg hitting a rock.

DSCN2225-X2.jpg

Surveying the damage from the forest fires earlier on this season. Most of the forest fires are man-made, either set by cigarettes or unattended camp fires. Sad.

DSCN2227-X2.jpg

And then our fist casualty of the day:

DSCN2232-X2.jpg

The WRs rear tire picked up a nail. This probably happened at the snowmobile lodge. Wooden pallets are frequently used for campfires. Unfortunately, the only thing left over after the fire is out are the nails used to hold the pallets together. He must have ridden over one of these nails on his way out and he developed a slow leak which finally made itself known later.

A lot of experience in this group, with everyone helping, we had that rear tire changed out in less than 10 minutes. And then back on the trails!

neda_gene-X2.jpg

The trail inside the park is not maintained, as it's not designated an FSR, so there were lots of gnarly, rocky climbs and fallen logs to negotiate. We had a ton of fun! Nice scenery too!

DSCN2234-X2.jpg

IMG_8815-X2.jpg

Ohaiguyz!

It wasn't all just riding though, our route takes us past a basalt formation so we abandoned our bikes and hiked a little bit to get a closer look:

IMG_8817-X2.jpg

The polygonal basalt formations are a popular spot for rock climbers. Here's a video of just that:

We had started pretty late in the day because of the cold weather we've been getting lately. However, this meant that the sunlight was getting scarce by the end of our long ride. Or was it because of the rain clouds rolling in?

DSCN2242-X2.jpg

It totally rained on us as we left the provincial park. Thankfully, it was at the north end after all the gnarly hill climbs and by the time the waterworks hit full blast, we were back on the FSR where the gravel was graded. I had my tinted goggles on and the combination of the setting sun and rain meant the only thing I could see were Neda's tail lights in front of me...

Despite this, it was a great day out on the trails. Also met a bunch of cool people that we can always call on during the week for a quick rip! Awesome!

Last edited:
We haven't seen a lot of group rides being posted up, so we decided to post up our own. Our plan was to explore some of the snowmobile trails that we were unable to complete early in the season last year because of snow and fallen logs.

After putting the call out, we were surprised to see quite a few bikes show up. As usual, everybody wants to follow, no one wants to lead... Still, not a bad turnout for a mid-week afternoon ride!

DSCN2221-X2.jpg

We used to post up a lot of group rides on the web-based forums, but they're not as popular as social media these days, so we are getting a lot more interest when posting up rides on Facebook, WhatsApp and Tonit.

After a quick 15 minute jaunt on the highway, we leave the tarmac and hop onto the snowmobiles trails which head north towards the provincial park. Can't believe these trails are so close to our house!

There's a dam there that supplies water to the neighbouring towns:

DSCN2233-X2.jpg

The summer drought and a month of 40°+ temperatures have dried out the dam, the water level is much lower than last year. One of the water crossings across the dam which was knee high last year is now a dry bed of gravel!

DSCN2228-X2.jpg

At the south entrance of the provincial park, we stopped for a quick snack break at a cabin built by the local snowmobile club.

DSCN2230-X2.jpg

IMG_8803-X2.jpg

This is the first time we've been out on the trails in a couple of months. The weather has been so hot and dry that off-road vehicles have been discouraged to ride the trails because of the danger of starting forest fires from our exhausts or even from a spark coming off a foot-peg hitting a rock.

DSCN2225-X2.jpg

Surveying the damage from the forest fires earlier on this season. Most of the forest fires are man-made, either set by cigarettes or unattended camp fires. Sad.

DSCN2227-X2.jpg

And then our fist casualty of the day:

DSCN2232-X2.jpg

The WRs rear tire picked up a nail. This probably happened at the snowmobile lodge. Wooden pallets are frequently used for campfires. Unfortunately, the only thing left over after the fire is out are the nails used to hold the pallets together. He must have ridden over one of these nails on his way out and he developed a slow leak which finally made itself known later.

A lot of experience in this group, with everyone helping, we had that rear tire changed out in less than 10 minutes. And then back on the trails!

neda_gene-X2.jpg

The trail inside the park is not maintained, as it's not designated an FSR, so there were lots of gnarly, rocky climbs and fallen logs to negotiate. We had a ton of fun! Nice scenery too!

DSCN2234-X2.jpg

IMG_8815-X2.jpg

Ohaiguyz!

It wasn't all just riding though, our route takes us past a basalt formation so we abandoned our bikes and hiked a little bit to get a closer look:

IMG_8817-X2.jpg

The polygonal basalt formations are a popular spot for rock climbers. Here's a video of just that:

We had started pretty late in the day because of the cold weather we've been getting lately. However, this meant that the sunlight was getting scarce by the end of our long ride. Or was it because of the rain clouds rolling in?

DSCN2242-X2.jpg

It totally rained on us as we left the provincial park. Thankfully, it was at the north end after all the gnarly hill climbs and by the time the waterworks hit full blast, we were back on the FSR where the gravel was graded. I had my tinted goggles on and the combination of the setting sun and rain meant the only thing I could see were Neda's tail lights in front of me...

Despite this, it was a great day out on the trails. Also met a bunch of cool people that we can always call on during the week for a quick rip! Awesome!
Cool ride. Did you ride out to the meet spot or is everyone loading their bikes up and bringing them?
Also what is Tonit? Never heard of that one before.

Cool ride. Did you ride out to the meet spot or is everyone loading their bikes up and bringing them?

Everyone had street-legal dual sports, so we all rode, no trailering. This route was only ~50-60% snowmobile trails, rest was FSRs which are designated public roads, so they require a road-plated and insured vehicle.

Also what is Tonit? Never heard of that one before.

Like a Facebook app for motorcyclists. You can post up pictures of your rides and routes, but we use it mainly to meet up with other bikers in the area. You can match up based on riding style, location, etc. We're on both the street and off-road groups, but there's also touring, stunting, track riding. etc. Not sure if it's popular in Ontario, but lots of people in our area already signed up, so the community is pretty large. Great for meeting new people.

As usual, everyone wants to follow, no one wants to plan and lead, so if you organize and post up a ride, you're basically guaranteed someone will join in.

Everyone had street-legal dual sports, so we all rode, no trailering. This route was only ~50-60% snowmobile trails, rest was FSRs which are designated public roads, so they require a road-plated and insured vehicle.

Like a Facebook app for motorcyclists. You can post up pictures of your rides and routes, but we use it mainly to meet up with other bikers in the area. You can match up based on riding style, location, etc. We're on both the street and off-road groups, but there's also touring, stunting, track riding. etc. Not sure if it's popular in Ontario, but lots of people in our area already signed up, so the community is pretty large. Great for meeting new people.

As usual, everyone wants to follow, no one wants to plan and lead, so if you organize and post up a ride, you're basically guaranteed someone will join in.
Awesome thanks - imma look that one up!

And seems it was started in Kelowna:

Ah ha!

That explains why there are so many local riders on the app. I've seen Jason's name pop up on many of the groups I'm in. Makes sense now.
It’s a pretty cool app!
I just joined up and see there is about 100 riders that are on it from Mississauga.

No idea about rides being posted but curious to check it out more in detail. Thanks again for posting that:)

Back
Top Bottom