2020 Day Trips! | Page 14 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 Day Trips!

Did 518 today. Fall colours are peaking now. Stunning.

518 was in the plan for yesterday’s ride north. Unfortunately I left Oakville 2 hours later than I had planned (due to fog) so I had to cut that part out.
Next time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this 600km, counter clockwise loop on my own yesterday. Fantastic! Beautiful weather, lovely fall colours, lots of bikes out. The 507 was in better shape than I expected; they're in the process of resurfacing some of the top half. All was well once me and two others were able to get ahead of a dozen strong, dreadfully slow and very annoying Harley train.

Rever-09-26-2020.jpg

The ride included a run on a cottage road which spans Hwy. 62 and 41. It's gravel for much of the way, tight and narrow, lots of up and down, in good shape, no sand and few ruts, but keep your eyes peeled for rocks and potholes. It's a very lonely road, a few cottages at either end, but not much else. I saw two side by sides and one pick up the entire time. Don't count on any cell coverage. Experienced off road riders will have no trouble here. Those on big ADVs on street tires or idiots like me might find it challenging. On the other hand, our own @sburns would likely have no difficulty on his Harley. But he's braver than I.

62to41.jpg

And the Guzzi? What a machine! It never fails to deliver anything but pure pleasure. There's no music or audio books required here. The Italian soundtrack is a true delight.

IMG-20200523-113813376-1.jpg

IMG-20200926-094353759-HDR-1.jpg

Last edited:
Did a shorter ride yesterday 350 kms and basically a loop around Rice lake from a friend’s farm near Millbrook.

Stopped at the Muddy’s Pit (BBQ) in Keene for lunch on the North side of Rice Lake.

Muddy's Pit BBQ
3247 County Rd 2, Keene, ON K0L 2G0
(705) 295-1255

Returned home via Country Rd 10 and the Lakeshore route.

Last edited:
Really like the Red and white you have. over the trip-colour “Ronald McDonald” trim.

When I was shopping in 2018 they only had the tricolour or the grey.
Did you buy one?

No, I ended going with my 2017 BMW R1200r.

The Swiss Army knife, I have always wanted and have enjoyed it.

5F5626BD-585E-4F07-B3A1-7051641F8684.jpeg
Have always loved the Guzzi and had come close prior on a V7 but the lower HP numbers had put me off due to my riding requirements.

But once the V85 arrived with a. significant bump in power I was truly interested.

The V85tt reminds me very much of the original GS models.
I like it’s style, and blend of simplicity with modern and the ability to do some light gravel while being a comfortable travel bike.

4371B3CB-548A-4B92-9D81-B2AA10126901.jpeg

QUOTE="Jayell, post: 2703423, member: 32355"]
Did you buy one?
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
No, I ended going with my 2017 BMW R1200r.

The Swiss Army knife, I have always wanted and have enjoyed it.

View attachment 45119
Have always loved the Guzzi and had come close prior on a V7 but the lower HP numbers had put me off due to my riding requirements.

But once the V85 arrived with a. significant bump in power I was truly interested.

The V85tt reminds me very much of the original GS models.
I like it’s style, and blend of simplicity with modern and the ability to do some light gravel while being a comfortable travel bike.

View attachment 45120

QUOTE="Jayell, post: 2703423, member: 32355"]
Did you buy one?
[/QUOTE]

Does that particular one have telelever suspension or normal front forks?

The name "Bunny Trail" sounds interesting. I'll read about it.
And while you’re reading, check out Screaming Heads. Old Nipissing Road is a perfect road for your bike and the sticky in this forum has a bunch of good roads as well.

And while you’re reading, check out Screaming Heads. Old Nipissing Road is a perfect road for your bike and the sticky in this forum has a bunch of good roads as well.

Ok, so I decided to do the following route that you've highlighted in your thread here. Wonderful source of information, especially to someone like me who is new to the area, so thank you!

Should be doable to and from Burlington under 12 hours.

Screenshot 2020-10-09 at 10.56.01 AM.png

Last edited:
Ok, so I decided to do the following route that you've highlighted in your thread here. Wonderful source of information, especially to someone like me who is new to the area, so thank you!

Should be doable to and from Burlington under 12 hours.

View attachment 45291
Looks good. Be mindful if you have never been on Southwood Rd 13 (near Bala), that it is quite twisty with pretty crap road quality. Expect to have frost heaves in mid corner as well as gravel, sand and potholes. Slow right down for the two railway crossings - they are in poor condition.

I still say go for it to experience it, but if that is the last twisty road on your ride, then maybe take a quick break before in Bala, so your mind will be alert.

I drove Southwood going northbound in a 2021 SUV mid-summer. It was horrible and physically draining. I would scratch it from the route...even more so because of the falling leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom