2020 Day Trips! | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 Day Trips!

and this road 648 - Loop Road
is a nice rip
many places to get off the pavement and nose around

YnzFrM3.png
I ended up on this road by mistake this past Sunday. Was taking the 62 out of Bancroft and meant to take 127 up to Madawaska and the 60 but somehow ended up on this loop.

I really enjoyed it tho and ended up taking 48 back down to 118 to get back home.

Reactions: J_F
on day trips lately it's been fun to take gravel roads off the pavement

Is there a listing anywhere of good beginner gravel roads? Just got my first off-road capable bike and am anxious to try some gravel or fire roads after having done the SMART adventures dual sport training course.

Is there a listing anywhere of good beginner gravel roads? Just got my first off-road capable bike and am anxious to try some gravel or fire roads after having done the SMART adventures dual sport training course.

I'm not aware of anything, I'm sure you'll get some ideas on that course

pretty easy to find them as you explore
like I said, boat launch signs are a good start

road is usually pretty good all the way to the end, no mudholes etc.
can be 2 km long or 30, never know until you get to the end
and you're usually rewarded with a good spot to smell the roses for a few minutes

Ride around farm country (or wherever there are farms), most of the side roads are gravel. I have no idea what the difference between beginner and advance though.

So yesterdays ride went totally sideways for me with the weather. Somehow I missed seeing this nasty rainstorm in the forecast. I guess that explains why I didn't see too many other riders out. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I had intentions to get up to Burk Falls and explore around there and maybe up to North Bay. But my day started late, and well I found myself on some unusal back raods which took longer then I thought.

Here is how it kinda went. Part Southwood, part Old Muskoka road, Old Novar rd, 592, and 518, HWY 11 for the return.

View attachment 44852

Stop in Gravenhurst
View attachment 44853

Had to see the Dinosaur in Bracebridge.
View attachment 44854

They also had a Snowbird!
View attachment 44855

Found myself on some unusual back roads, but my off road Harley seems ok with it. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
View attachment 44856

Pit stop in Kearney
View attachment 44857

So you can see the weather is starting to turn to shite. I needed to fill up the best option was to go to Burk Falls just a quick hop north and this storm was just starting. Got fuel and immediately headed south, and to what I though was a clearing in the storm...

View attachment 44858

Nope somewhere after Huntsville that light totally disappeared and everything go much much worse.
View attachment 44859

I got totally soaked and there was no break from this all the way home, about 4 hours of it. I did eventually stop in Egypt, at the community centre, which had driveway with a overhang. Made a quick stop swapped out some clothes and continued.

Bike handled great, honestly It runs so smooth in this stuff, the engine is even quieter, I think it likes it....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ya I know I am not the first to ride in rain, but that was a real soaker for me. Very happy with the mesh jacket with the rain liner, worked well!!
Burks falls is great. 518 is a wicked road and make sure you hit up the perogie food truck for lunch in BF.

Ride around farm country (or wherever there are farms), most of the side roads are gravel. I have no idea what the difference between beginner and advance though.

Thanks. By beginner i mean simple gravel roads...not something that turns into a river crossing half way through lol.

Thanks. By beginner i mean simple gravel roads...not something that turns into a river crossing half way through lol.

it's easy to get in too deep for your bike/skills
you get carried away as the road become a trail gradually

don't realize until the cat tails are over your head sometimes
it's an oh-**** moment as you look for somewhere to turn around

Ah gotcha. Makes sense. Try the farm areas. What part of the city/GTA are you in?

On my last bike I spent a little bit of time searching out some stuff that I could feel comfortable riding alone on 80/20 tires.

This is one ride I did on the west side of Algonquin: Gravel and Forest Roads with no problem.

After that one I explored a bunch of the gravel roads and fire access roads on either side of the 507 and they are pretty easy and lots of fun. These two areas: 1-141 Pencil Lake Rd to 2903-1903 Fire Rte 72 and 100-2 Fire Access Rd to 2-108 Salmon Lake Rd will keep you busy for a day. Kennaway Rd near Wilberforce is nice and there's an old streetcar buried in there about halfway up the road.

There's a lot of really nice riding in and around Algonquin Park if you are decent with a GPS and first look into the the allowance of bikes on these east side trails: Bonnechere to Madawaska

Here's a couple that Mike posted up: Great Gravel Roads

There's also ones closer to Sudbury like Ranger Lake Rd, Sultan Industrial Highway, Capreol Rd and tons more.

Lastly, there's always this: Gravel Travel Canada - Home

Have fun!

Thanks all! This is exactly the stuff i was looking for.

Once i get a couple more kms in the new saddle, I'm going to get some more capable tires and try these out.

Last edited:
nice afternoon taking it easy and appreciating the fall colours
leaves sure have turned in the past week

if anyone's looking for an alternative to the traffic and hordes @ Algonquin
I accidentally ended up on Centennial Lake Rd after missing a turn home from 'bogie

would highly recommend this road for a scenic rip
hilly, twisty, very little traffic and mostly good pavement
excellent ride for fall viewing

65.PNG

Last edited:
The fall colours are quite nice...even better with the warm riding weather we are having.
Yesterday I rode up to Port Carling and basically did a loop around Lake Muskoka. Then on my way back home I headed west around Innisfil to River Rd and then down to Forks of the Credit then home.
Hands down, a nice riding day except for the morning fog so I didn’t get on the road until 9am.
Put 352 miles (566km) on the old CB350F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nice afternoon taking it easy and appreciating the fall colours
leaves sure have turned in the past week

if anyone's looking for an alternative to the traffic and hordes @ Algonquin
I accidentally ended up on Centennial Lake Rd after missing a turn home from 'bogie

would highly recommend this road for a scenic rip
hilly, twisty, very little traffic and mostly good pavement
excellent ride for fall viewing

View attachment 45094
Centennial Lake road is one of my eastern Ontario favs. That whole area is tops for riding.

You guys are inspiring me to plan and take much longer rides .

Who says a 55 yr old can’t do a multi-day trip on a small displacement 47 yr old bike. What could possibly go wrong???

First step is to come up with a catchy ride report thread title...hmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did 518 today. Fall colours are peaking now. Stunning.

Back
Top Bottom