2020 Day Trips! | Page 17 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2020 Day Trips!

The weather this weekend seems surprisingly warm! I am taking a day off lest my vacation days lapse, and thinking of doing the following roads beginning Sunday. I may break it down in two days:

Screenshot 2020-11-04 at 9.41.07 PM.png

Any suggestions/tweaks to be made on the route are welcome. Have not done any of these routes (barring highways) except the 507.
Ideas obtained again from Best roads in Ontario

Last edited:
The weather this weekend seems surprisingly warm! I am taking a day off lest my vacation days lapse, and thinking of doing the following roads beginning Sunday. I may break it down in two days:

View attachment 45681

Any suggestions/tweaks to be made on the route are welcome. Have not done any of these routes (barring highways) except the 507.
Looks like a good run, the only thing which bothers me this time of year is the low hanging sun in the west, and riding back from East to West is quite blinding.

View attachment 45681

envy you v strom riders and your all day comfort

View attachment 45681

That’s a nice route.

Be mindful of South Lavant Rd. It’s fairly twisty and hilly with some pretty poor pavement stretches. Asides from that it’s quite fun. This would not be a good road to be riding on while being blinded by the sun in the morning or afternoon.

If you want a fun little gravel stretch, then take Kennaway Rd northbound from the 118, not far from Wilberforce. About 10km in, you will see an old TTC streetcar buried off the road in the bush.

Elephant Lake Road / Peterson Rd may still be in poor condition now, so be aware of that, although I haven’t been on it this season.

Heading south of Barry’s Bay is a road called Siberia Road which leads to Kartuzy Road. This is a fun stretch worth checking out and pairs well as a loop with Old Barry’s Bay Road, which itself is amazing.

Both the 512 and the 514 are nice roads, as well as that 511 and Tatlock Rd combo you have planned.

Have an awesome ride!

I might do a bit of the top of that route. Haven't been out in ages it seems. The only difference is I'll be coming from the east, which should make the sun more bearable, although it can also be south that gets you in trouble for visibility.

Yup this wkd looks to have some fantastic weather.
From what I can see the Kitchener area is going to have the nicest weather.
But I would love to get away for a couple of days and was thinking Belleville area as a base.
Then maybe do this loop?

Thoughts?

Looks like a good run, the only thing which bothers me this time of year is the low hanging sun in the west, and riding back from East to West is quite blinding.
That’s a nice route.

Be mindful of South Lavant Rd. It’s fairly twisty and hilly with some pretty poor pavement stretches. Asides from that it’s quite fun. This would not be a good road to be riding on while being blinded by the sun in the morning or afternoon.
Right!

Position of the sun - This is an important bit of information that I did not think of earlier. I would be riding east, yes. I am now anticipating starting off earlier than planned (around 5am), do the fast paced highway stretch till after Peterborough in the darkness, and begin the backroads at the break of dawn, where the speed will be more sedated. The sun will still be an issue, but I do hope that with less traffic, it will be manageable.

Elephant Lake Road / Peterson Rd may still be in poor condition now, so be aware of that, although I haven’t been on it this season.
If you want a fun little gravel stretch, then take Kennaway Rd northbound from the 118, not far from Wilberforce. About 10km in, you will see an old TTC streetcar buried off the road in the bush.

Cool. I am looking for gravel or even poorly managed roads. Added this detour.

Heading south of Barry’s Bay is a road called Siberia Road which leads to Kartuzy Road. This is a fun stretch worth checking out and pairs well as a loop with Old Barry’s Bay Road, which itself is amazing.

Added

Have an awesome ride!

Thanks!

envy you v strom riders and your all day comfort

Mine's currently all stock. Hopefully with a few mods next year, all day comfort wouldn't be out of reach yes - A setup similar to Shane's.

Cool. I am looking for gravel or even poorly managed roads. Added this detour.
Well then you may want to hit up those roads around Kennaway something like this. Be careful on the road at the northeast end of it - some parts can sneak up on you, but very enjoyable.
1604598268303.png

Slight change in plans. I have been told with subtlety to drag myself home the same day! :)

Thus I will have to revise my extravagance and trim off a few sections. Also, I'll plan the loop the other way round. Ride East on the 401early morning to Belleville, then up Lanark, and then loop back west. This is what I have come up with:

Screenshot 2020-11-05 at 6.04.30 PM.png

The idea is to ride on the Calabogie route. I have read interesting things about the section, which peaks my interest.

I wonder if they have finished paving the 401 just east of DVP to around Markham. Lots of construction going on for that stretch.

Are we sure this is November?? I wasn't planning on doing much today as it was suppose to be cloudy, but once I got out there I just kept going. Someone in another thread @Evoex mentioned HWY 518, so It was in my head so I went that way. Road were soggy in Markham and Richmond Hill, but after that it was great. Some sand up and around Kearny.

Started out by way of Sharon, I don't mind passing by the temple.
sharon.jpg

Saw this guy in Beaverton, I think he is good for all seasons
all season.jpg

Scenic view near Novar
novar.jpg

Kearney, I wanted to do a loop of some sort around to Burk Falls, but with the short daylight, and some construction in the area I headed back to HWY592 north to Burk Falls
kearney.jpg

Pitstop at Hanna Chute on the way home
hanna chute.jpg

So nice out even the Good Ol Boys were out for a spin!
good ol boys.jpg

Got out exploring today on the T7. Finally got around to checking out Old Wagon Rd.
I had to finally turn around as I was solo and the last water crossing was too deep to risk alone.
I raced the sun to get out of the woods and back to 118. Followed Prospect lake rd (fun dirt road, very hilly and twisty) to Uffington to Doe Lake rd then hit 11 to get home.
Fun day all in all and the Yamaha works really well in the loose stuff.
ead335fa81c492bc330dfc53f7cf4b73.jpg
6f82900a2a18026ddf7baec10f679a9d.jpg
21d2621c187d369fb3e5d593547ab1c0.jpg
58bb1e0f9c77f43b515d8a43fcfcecbc.jpg
165388368da02f07ec6974df5428ea56.jpg

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

Hmmph - damn detours ...aimed for Dover ended in Dunville...not so busy and terrific latte.

Excellent cafe .

The Minga - Cafe - Dunnville, Ontario - 29 Reviews - 1,405 Photos | Facebook

one of the best lattes I've had anywhere and certainly the best falafel sandwich.

1604788040812.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom