Your winter maint. plans..? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Your winter maint. plans..?

I loved my Bing :|
it liked to be tickled once in a while and that was all it ever asked for.

more project parts:
IMG-5149.jpg

That’s a lot of Tupperware removed for a coolant change!

I have no idea what you mean by that.... B'sides, there is no way my wife would allow me to borrow her Tupperware for motorcycle maintenance.

Edit: Oh... Yeah I get it now. Yeah, I'm told by my fellow FJR-nuts that the coolant change "can" be done without removing the side fairings, but... 'Looking at it I can't see how.
'Fairing(s) come off easily and I kinda wanted to get in behind there anyway to get a look at what's there.
You know what's there?

Bugs.

Lot's of bugs.

Last edited:
Torque specs are important..
I think without using a torque wrench the tendency is to over tighten...

Yep - I have a regular torque wrench. I was doing a 1200 conversion to my sportster and when I had to torque the headbolts down to inch pounds, I realized very quickly how much you over estimate that kind of measurement.

Clutch fluid flush/hange.
Brake fluid flush/change incl. ABS flush.

'Only problem I ran into wasn't really a problem. 'Just me being dumb.

Part of the procedure to initialize the manual ABS activation includes turning the ignition "on", with the side stand down so the bike won't actually start when you hold down the start button for the required 4 seconds to switch the ABS into diagnostic mode.

How flummoxed I was when, with the side stand "down" and the ignition switched "on" and the start button pressed... the bike started...

Wasted ten minutes taking the side stand off to check the kill switch before realizing...
The bike was in Neutral.

#### me.

Put her in gear, dropped the side stand and successfully completed the the ABS flush

I

It's Spring now, the Winter maint. window is closed.

Bumping this.

Winter is upon us...

Wr250r/x

Swapped the tank to an 18L IMS.

pulled out my Power Commander 3... wouldn't turn on. Bike wouldn't start... might be cooked.

Probably still get a couple rides in. I'll take what I can get.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

I loved my Bing :|
it liked to be tickled once in a while and that was all it ever asked for.

more project parts:
IMG-5149.jpg
The red one looks like a little Suzuki, the black one has me stumped - Maico?.

The beast already had its oil change. Good to go next spring.
The street FZR already got new tires. Good to go next spring.
My old race bike got a rebuilt front brake master cylinder, already installed. It's rideable once again.
The R3 race bike got a new chain, a broken fairing mount sorted out, and an oil change. I have not decided whether I will install a "rain light" (basically just a tail light) so that it would meet CSBK regulations, and it's not a bad idea elsewhere.
The 125 got new tires and spark plug recently, I just now replaced a burned out marker-light bulb. May get a ride in next week.
I have not decided whether the zx10r needs new tires, or a new bike. (Almost 115,000 km on it) May ride that this Friday.

May have a car project coming up. 166k, needs new strut mounts, and if I'm going to pull the (original) struts in order to change the strut mounts, I'm not putting the original ones back in. Needs front brakes, too, but I already have a new set ready to go on.

The beast already had its oil change. Good to go next spring.
The street FZR already got new tires. Good to go next spring.
My old race bike got a rebuilt front brake master cylinder, already installed. It's rideable once again.
The R3 race bike got a new chain, a broken fairing mount sorted out, and an oil change. I have not decided whether I will install a "rain light" (basically just a tail light) so that it would meet CSBK regulations, and it's not a bad idea elsewhere.
The 125 got new tires and spark plug recently, I just now replaced a burned out marker-light bulb. May get a ride in next week.
I have not decided whether the zx10r needs new tires, or a new bike. (Almost 115,000 km on it) May ride that this Friday.

May have a car project coming up. 166k, needs new strut mounts, and if I'm going to pull the (original) struts in order to change the strut mounts, I'm not putting the original ones back in. Needs front brakes, too, but I already have a new set ready to go on.

Are you going to go with a quick strut replacement assembly or risk death and use the spring compressor? :ROFLMAO:

Are you going to go with a quick strut replacement assembly or risk death and use the spring compressor? :ROFLMAO:
With great power comes great responsibility. Knock on wood, spring compressors and I have not had a fight before.

With great power comes great responsibility. Knock on wood, spring compressors and I have not had a fight before.
Not much in the way of bike mechanical projects this winter, but I am going to paint a couple of bikes. After searching for 2 years for 75 Honda Antares Red, I found the holy grail. There are a few places with enamel color matches, but they look like **** compared to the original color and finish -- nothing that matches the factory candy paint.

The local PPG rep shipped my GL1000 tank cover to PPG's color lab to have the paint analyzed and matched. They came back telling me they figured out the OE 3 stage candy -- it looks perfect on the spray sample. Here's hoping I can figure out how to spray a 3 stage candy.

Not much in the way of bike mechanical projects this winter, but I am going to paint a couple of bikes. After searching for 2 years for 75 Honda Antares Red, I found the holy grail. There are a few places with enamel color matches, but they look like **** compared to the original color and finish -- nothing that matches the factory candy paint.

The local PPG rep shipped my GL1000 tank cover to PPG's color lab to have the paint analyzed and matched. They came back telling me they figured out the OE 3 stage candy -- it looks perfect on the spray sample. Here's hoping I can figure out how to spray a 3 stage candy.
Do you have a booth in your garage? How do you deal with ventilation spraying automotive paint in the winter? Bike parts are small so you spray and get out?

Do you have a booth in your garage? How do you deal with ventilation spraying automotive paint in the winter? Bike parts are small so you spray and get out?
I don't have a booth, I hang dollar store shower curtains off my garage door tracks to make a 3 sided enclosure to contain overspray. I only do small stuff in the garage, a tank or fairing piece, so I can shoot the part then jump outside till it flashes.

I don't have a booth, I hang dollar store shower curtains off my garage door tracks to make a 3 sided enclosure to contain overspray. I only do small stuff in the garage, a tank or fairing piece, so I can shoot the part then jump outside till it flashes.
A trick I learned ages ago when I first tried to paint in my garage was to keep the floor wet while setting up and painting to prevent dust from getting kicked up in the air. Worked great and the spray can job turned out looking pretty close to factory.

My new (to me) bike only had about 800km on it when I got it. So I'm taking it in for its 1000km service. Which will get some fresh oil in there, filter as well. Various "checks" and a few "lubes".

Then once back home, planning a quick wash/rinse. Clean + lube chain. Fuel stabilizer. Battery tender. Install dust cover. And that's all she wrote.

Proceed to count down the days to Spring 2021.

Actually, I'm moving in March/April. So instead of counting down, I'll be praying it's not still snowing then.

Back
Top Bottom