WTF is going on with Motorcycle deaths? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

WTF is going on with Motorcycle deaths?

I have only ever had one collision with a car. It was a Camaro sitting stopped on the shoulder with the right turn signal and brake lights on. Tractor trailer passing me on my left (nowhere to go). A couple car lengths away from the car, he pulls out in front of me. Bam! I hit his left rear fender with my front wheel. No damage to me or my bike.
Car had a big dent and scratch.
No amount of skill or sixth sense would have helped.

I have always felt to ride as you are invisible is the best approach. If your thing is blinding old folks with your fancy lights so be it.

You can do both at the same time, try to be as visible as possible while still riding cautiously

I have not seen a worst start of the riding season than this spring. I hope this is the worst of it.

If I'm approaching a vehicle with bright daytime running lights, I usually retaliate with my high beams.
Very bright lights are my pet peeve.

If I get a flash of very bright lights in the day, it can trigger a migraine.

That makes me very unhappy

Nonsense. I have ridden over 240000KM with driving lights on in the daytime. I have never had a close call with a car pulling a left in front of me.

I have been riding for almost 50 years now. I rode in California with no helmet and shorts (I was dumb) But I have never seen the things that cars do now to motorcycles in the last 5 years. Turning left in front of you, coming into your lane... It's like they just stopped looking for bikes, or just stopped caring. But it has certainly changed. But I'm old, get off my lawn you kids.

I have been riding for almost 50 years now. I rode in California with no helmet and shorts (I was dumb) But I have never seen the things that cars do now to motorcycles in the last 5 years. Turning left in front of you, coming into your lane... It's like they just stopped looking for bikes, or just stopped caring. But it has certainly changed. But I'm old, get off my lawn you kids.

Over the years, I've had lots of co-workers who hate bikers, to the point they're okay hurting them (most also admit that they can blame the biker for speed or just say they didn't see them and laugh it off, since that stigma is their defence, they have 0 remorse for life and think its the bikers fault since they should be in a car like everyone else). I knew one guy who said if he see's bikers cut him off or go faster in slow traffic, he will open he's door or slam them purposely, because they should suffer the commute just like him.

One thing I liked about my last job was the amount of bikers at the workplace, even the owner had a bike in the reception area and owned 3 bikes, was just nice talking to such people and felt like right away we have something in common.

I’m a big advocate for auxiliary lighting.
I have Denali’s on the FJR.
Expensive but what’s being seen on the bike worth to you.
They are slightly pointed down as per their directions.

b881553616a44343b032993b71ff233b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think people become dumber when motorcycles are around. I know I have been a little surprised when I have seen a sport bike behind me it almost feels like they are on top of your trunk. I know better now. I also believe drivers think bikes are all about speed and either try to keep up or do other dumb things when they are around. Otherwise the left turners, right turners, tailgaters, and excessive speed is the growing impatience of drivers for whatever reason everyone is in a hurry to get someplace. With more drivers displaying bad habits like this it influences other drivers habits and amplfies the problems. The lack of police presense is also a factor, they are never around to target these drivers or manage these conditions.

I knew one guy who said if he see's bikers cut him off or go faster in slow traffic, he will open he's door or slam them purposely, because they should suffer the commute just like him.

This is why some of the guys I used to ride with four score and xxx years ago used to carry a hammer. A few side windows smashed and fenders got dented back then. When these dorks are stuck in traffic there's nothing they can do.

Next time you are helmet shopping go for white instead of black....
Even better is Shoei RF. The come in FJR silver, mine is perfect paint match to my bike.

Do you guys think, next year they will significantly up insurance for riders? I'm getting devastated to see a rider in the fallen section everyday now ?

Do you guys think, next year they will significantly up insurance for riders? I'm getting devastated to see a rider in the fallen section everyday now ?

Premiums have been high for a while now, there's no point in trying to understand why in ontario.

It's the same feeling every year. Turbodish gathered the stats for most of a decade and although every year seemed to be the worst at the time, IIRC, it didn't change all that much.

A dead rider does not affect rates much at all. They are cheap. A substantial life-altering injury (TBI,paralysis, etc) costs the insurance company a fortune (especially if it was a pedestrian).

They don't need a good enough reason to raise them as is. The daily accidents are not helping. Although (not to sound cold) having a dead motorist is MUCH cheaper for the insurer than having one that needs extensive rehab.

I remember when adding my dad to the policy, inquiring why it was so much cheaper even though we got the licenses at the same time, and read since he is older, if they have to pay anything out, it will be for a shorter time frame (aka, he will die sooner). Also when studying engineering, we had a professor tell us that harsh reality, its better someone dies in a wreck vs pay them out

A dead rider does not affect rates much at all. They are cheap. A substantial life-altering injury (TBI,paralysis, etc) costs the insurance company a fortune (especially if it was a pedestrian).
Sad but very true ?

Back
Top Bottom