Will the real Pierre Poilievre please stand up? | Page 15 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Will the real Pierre Poilievre please stand up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest is the size of the civil service. Do like a big business - hey managers, 10% reduction in budgets, figure it out. Or we’ll get someone capable to do it for you ( get the hint?).
When I worked for a window manufacturer someone from the office was stretching their legs and wandered through the shop. In light conversation they mentioned that when glass was ordered for a job 10% extra was order in case of breakage. That got around the shop.

Suddenly the receiver got clumsy unloading trucks. The cutter wasn't as diligent with optimizing. The labourers were careless shifting the glass to the assembly area. The assemblers used a bit more brute force.

We ran out of glass.

My accountant figures they lose an hour a day to net surfing and personal texting, shopping etc. That's like losing a day a week from each employee. IMO grab a bunch of out of date computers and put them in the lunch room, disconnected from the company system. Do you shopping and personal browsing on your lunch and coffee breaks.

They shop and surf , or stand around the coffee pot and talk about hockey . It’s been that way for years . If the work is getting done , so what . Making people more productive is by incentivizing them not limiting access to the internet.
Yes I have been an owner and senior manager for a number of years .

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

They shop and surf , or stand around the coffee pot and talk about hockey . It’s been that way for years . If the work is getting done , so what . Making people more productive is by incentivizing them not limiting access to the internet.

Oor shop is staffed for fast turnaround of small volume simple industrial products. We have way more staff than a production line, most days they are done the days orders an 30 min to an hour before the whistle blows.

Well send them off early. No good comes from idle workers waiting out the clock.

Oor shop is staffed for fast turnaround of small volume simple industrial products. We have way more staff than a production line, most days they are done the days orders an 30 min to an hour before the whistle blows.

Well send them off early. No good comes from idle workers waiting out the clock.

Having a little bit of slack in your normal schedule is valuable. For example, it means you can handle a bigger spike in orders before having to turn business away, or force customers to wait on the phone on hold, or have to start paying overtime. And less stress is a good thing.

Having a little bit of slack in your normal schedule is valuable. For example, it means you can handle a bigger spike in orders before having to turn business away, or force customers to wait on the phone on hold, or have to start paying overtime. And less stress is a good thing.
The biggest challenge is making sure staff don’t start looking at packing up 30 min early as an entitlement rather than a perk.

We’re looking at a modern 52 week 4 day (4x9) workweek. So far it’s being received well.

The biggest challenge is making sure staff don’t start looking at packing up 30 min early as an entitlement rather than a perk.

We’re looking at a modern 52 week 4 day (4x9) workweek. So far it’s being received well.
I'd go for it but for the company the output has to match the demand schedules.

I’m seeing a lot of my customers moving to a 7-5 /4 day , some staff doing 6-4 some 8-6 . And a few 8-4 half day Fridays. Really depends on the industry but having hours that provide life/work balance keeps employees. If your company needs a guy to put stuff in a box , that’s one thing , machining a part to go into a box , that’s different, you need to keep that guy.

Casual conversations around the water cooler are good as problems and frustrations can often be dealt with informally. However productivity can't be ignored. Where my wife worked there were self appointed full time cheer leaders that barely did any work. One supervisor read pocket books.

What do we do with low end workers doing simple tasks that can be done cheaper offshore if domestic production drops? The plant and the office are different.

In some cases a few percent in labour costs is the tipping point for a major change.

He says a lot of things. Makes a lot of claims about how bad others are doing, and how he'll fix everything.

What he often doesn't say is how he plans to actually accomplish those fixes. A magic wand, I'm guessing, in a lot of cases.

His constant cries about housing affordability and inflation are two good examples. He's somehow apparently got some sort of magic solution to these issues, one of which is a global issue that apparently only he fan somehow fix in Canada. But good luck getting him to tell you what those solutions are, and how they work.

This is my personal biggest issue with him. I'm fvcking tired of politicians who scream the loudest to all that will listen with how bad the other guys are doing, but don't actually want to meaninfully sit down and discuss what *their* plans are, or how they're actually going to fix all the things they say are wrong, particularly in the case of PP who has people legitimately believing that he, and only he, can fix things that are effectiving the entire world right now, not just Canada.
I would think it's obvious how to correct the housing market. Start by pausing immigration for 5 years. Next, PP has suggested "removing the gatekeepers" many times. There is way too much red tape in building new houses.

It's strange to see you saying PP never proposes a solution because that's Trudeau's and his media's argument. They criticizes PP for not doing Trudeau's housing ministers's job. But I've heard PP propose solutions on YouTube. He seems to be getting the "anti-vaxxer" treatment from Trudeau's media.

My worry about PP is that he is saying things that will get him elected, then we'll find out he's also working for Schwab and didn't mean any of it. Trudeau often lies outright and gets away with it, so maybe PP is doing the same, hence a Trojan Horse. Schwab has been planning this for 30+ years, so it's not hard to believe that they'd have Trudeau openly destroying the country knowing PP would be seen as a saviour and win a majority and take over. Doug Ford is a Conservative, but is working with the WEF, so why would PP be any different?

The bond market (free enterprise...) has Bank of Canada 10-year yield at a smidge over 3% and it has been coming down. (Peaked at 4.26 in early October). That says international investors aren't worried about Canadian government debt, and also means future direction of short-term rates is probably down.

Careful with that... reading Bond Market tea leaves is full of this and that. For example, falling bond yields happen with declines in inflation, but they also fall when investors see economic headwinds.

We have both, one good (declining inflation) and one bad (broad market economic headwinds) - how would we weigh this out?

I would think it's obvious how to correct the housing market. Start by pausing immigration for 5 years. Next, PP has suggested "removing the gatekeepers" many times. There is way too much red tape in building new houses.

It's strange to see you saying PP never proposes a solution because that's Trudeau's and his media's argument. They criticizes PP for not doing Trudeau's housing ministers's job. But I've heard PP propose solutions on YouTube. He seems to be getting the "anti-vaxxer" treatment from Trudeau's media.

My worry about PP is that he is saying things that will get him elected, then we'll find out he's also working for Schwab and didn't mean any of it. Trudeau often lies outright and gets away with it, so maybe PP is doing the same, hence a Trojan Horse. Schwab has been planning this for 30+ years, so it's not hard to believe that they'd have Trudeau openly destroying the country knowing PP would be seen as a saviour and win a majority and take over. Doug Ford is a Conservative, but is working with the WEF, so why would PP be any different?

I would imagine the PP would work with WEF just like Harper did. Just like every Canadian leader has since it started. It's a forum for national and business leaders to meet and make sure that their economic strategies are aligned.

It doesn't mean that he controls everyone that goes to his convention. What it does is coordinate the nations/businesses with the money so that leaders are pressured to get onside or go-it-alone.

4x9...sign me up! I do 5x9 anyway so 4x9 for the same pay....sign me up!

Although it's difficult in the construction industry, but if we can stagger the 4x9 into alternating Monday / Fridays off...I'd be all over that.

Plus in my industry you're never really 100% 'off the clock'.

Most people have zero understanding of how much too low rents are in Ontario the whole thing is a disaster. If house prices double rents need to as well and rents haven't doubled from 2020 yet. I have no solution but the 5000 1 bdr apartment can't be far away. We need a major housing correction to fix this.

Sent from the future
There will be no major housing correction in the GTA anytime soon as there is really nothing to correct.

Corrections happen when prices are not at an equilibrium between supply and demand. Too much supply and the prices will fall, too much demand and prices will rise. There is no realistic scenario that would have demand falling in the GTA for the foreseeable future, and the resources that increase supply will run at their redlines for a decade without catching up to demand growth.

Some small changes might help, fixing the LTB might make landlords more comfortable in increasing rental stock.

Cutting development costs and red tape will incentivize smaller re-developers and enterprising homeowners to invest in growing housing stock, I've given my example before. My suburban lot is zoned for a single-family dwelling only 900-6000sq'. Replacing the house with a 6,000 sq' customs would yield a small builder $500K profit. 100M from my house is a different 'zone', that would allow 6000sq' but in 6 1000sq' units. I could do a zoning change, plan of subdivision, and pay development fees x6 which would cost about $1.5M. Those units would sell for about $800K each or $4.8M for about $100K profit.

The single 6000sq' house is good for 1 wealthy couple and would not increase the housing supply. The $800K units would house 6 families and add 5 modest homes to the supply side. But that's not possible when the municipal costs and red tape are >1.5M and 2 years.

So... let me build the sixer on my lot free of municipal redevelopment taxes and I'll get started tomorrow. I'll make 6 units that are by GTA standards 'affordable' and increase the housing stock by 5 units. Leave things as they are an I'm selling to a builder who puts up the single McMansion.

There will be no major housing correction in the GTA anytime soon as there is really nothing to correct.

Corrections happen when prices are not at an equilibrium between supply and demand. Too much supply and the prices will fall, too much demand and prices will rise. There is no realistic scenario that would have demand falling in the GTA for the foreseeable future, and the resources that increase supply will run at their redlines for a decade without catching up to demand growth.

Some small changes might help, fixing the LTB might make landlords more comfortable in increasing rental stock.

Cutting development costs and red tape will incentivize smaller re-developers and enterprising homeowners to invest in growing housing stock, I've given my example before. My suburban lot is zoned for a single-family dwelling only 900-6000sq'. Replacing the house with a 6,000 sq' customs would yield a small builder $500K profit. 100M from my house is a different 'zone', that would allow 6000sq' but in 6 1000sq' units. I could do a zoning change, plan of subdivision, and pay development fees x6 which would cost about $1.5M. Those units would sell for about $800K each or $4.8M for about $100K profit.

The single 6000sq' house is good for 1 wealthy couple and would not increase the housing supply. The $800K units would house 6 families and add 5 modest homes to the supply side. But that's not possible when the municipal costs and red tape are >1.5M and 2 years.

So... let me build the sixer on my lot free of municipal redevelopment taxes and I'll get started tomorrow. I'll make 6 units that are by GTA standards 'affordable' and increase the housing stock by 5 units. Leave things as they are an I'm selling to a builder who puts up the single McMansion.
I've had a similar discussion with the inlaws. They have a decent sized pie lot and the neighbour has a huge lot (house plus pool plus basketball court backing onto a park). In scarborough and both side-splits. Neighbour plans on selling in next few years. Aggregate the two lots and you can probably get two blocks of townhouses. MIL is very against the plan as she loves her house and doesn't want to see it knocked down. I highly suspect the next owner (or maybe the one after that) will knock it down. House size is fine but too small to maximize land use (too much lawn and trees, not enough house) and not many people love side-split.

reduction in housing costs is not feasible, increase in housing is. and the federal government is directly responsible for the demand portion of S&D
I think a reduction in housing costs is feasible.

Turn the clock back on municipal dev fees to year $2000 when we didn't collect $200K/lot because our civil infrastructure was practical and efficient -- not opulent and poorly utilized. I remember when Markham Transit used small buses because they were economical and with 5 or fewer passengers 90% of the time. Now we have 80-seat articulated monsters with 2 of their own dedicated lanes, still carrying less than 5 people 90% of the time.

Also, as you reduce prices, the demand for lux finishes and features is also reduced which is a win for the buyer and for the builder. Building 12'span is considerably cheaper than a 20' span, carpet cheaper than hardwood, siding cheaper than stonework, and American Standard cheaper than Kholer.

I've had a similar discussion with the inlaws. They have a decent sized pie lot and the neighbour has a huge lot (house plus pool plus basketball court backing onto a park). In scarborough and both side-splits. Neighbour plans on selling in next few years. Aggregate the two lots and you can probably get two blocks of townhouses. MIL is very against the plan as she loves her house and doesn't want to see it knocked down. I highly suspect the next owner (or maybe the one after that) will knock it down. House size is fine but too small to maximize land use (too much lawn and trees, not enough house) and not many people love side-split.
That's identical to me and my adjoining neighbour, we have nice-sized pies with good frontages. If we could rezone together, we'd get 16 units, individually only 12 (6 each).

We've had the discussion already and agreed not to sell without looking at the upside of offering the properties together.

Also, as you reduce prices, the demand for lux finishes and features is also reduced which is a win for the buyer and for the builder.
I would agree but personal experience indicates otherwise. When people are at their max budget (which is reasonably accurate for most people looking at housing), they expect (and often demand) show homes. Laminate countertops are functional and last for the life of a kitchen but they are the kiss of death for many buyers. Completely write off the home because it doesn't have stone. It's crazy but it happens often. You can probably get away with AS instead of Kohler in most builds but ime stone counters, hardwood and no siding are almost requirements to keep the full buyer pool interested in your house. It's crazy as those don't really matter in providing a safe space to live.

My parents house is mostly plaster but a few rooms (including the living room) are panelboard of some form. Lots of carpet and linoleum. Looks and works fine and they have no interest in changing those facets. When they decide to sell, I will probably rip out carpet and panel board and replace with hardwood and drywall. I suspect selling it as is would be a very tough sell as buyers are stupid and short sighted. Hell, even a bad paint colour can scare away most buyers even though the change is trivial (and you can probably get the RE agents to pay for a colour change before you take possession).

I would agree but personal experience indicates otherwise. When people are at their max budget (which is reasonably accurate for most people looking at housing), they expect (and often demand) show homes. Laminate countertops are functional and last for the life of a kitchen but they are the kiss of death for many buyers. Completely write off the home because it doesn't have stone. It's crazy but it happens often. You can probably get away with AS instead of Kohler in most builds but ime stone counters, hardwood and no siding are almost requirements to keep the full buyer pool interested in your house. It's crazy as those don't really matter in providing a safe space to live.

My parents house is mostly plaster but a few rooms (including the living room) are panelboard of some form. Lots of carpet and linoleum. Looks and works fine and they have no interest in changing those facets. When they decide to sell, I will probably rip out carpet and panel board and replace with hardwood and drywall. I suspect selling it as is would be a very tough sell as buyers are stupid and short sighted. Hell, even a bad paint colour can scare away most buyers even though the change is trivial (and you can probably get the RE agents to pay for a colour change before you take possession).
I'm harking back to when I bought my first house. The fancy new ones in Markham had hardwood, 9' ceilings, and granite counters. For $25K (20%) less, you could head up the road to Stouffville and get the builder grade carpet, 8' ceilings, and a Canac factory kitchen. I'm guessing that appeal still exists, but the lux route will always win when supply is tight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom