Will the real Pierre Poilievre please stand up? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Will the real Pierre Poilievre please stand up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

timtune

Site Supporter
987 defeated by Liberals
889 defeated by liberals
140 defeated by liberals

So what’s the point here? All I can make of that list is PP occassionally votes with the Liberals.

He’s not going to solve any crisis. He’s going to keep the doors open to rampant immigration according to his last few interviews that I saw.

He’s not going to solve any crisis. He’s going to keep the doors open to rampant immigration according to his last few interviews that I saw.
He's 'promised' to cut red tape and tie municipal funding to housing targets. Don't hit 15% housing growth every year? Then you don't get federal money.

It’s easy to be critical of the current government. You can even be good at it and resonate with the public or at least the voting base of your political stripe. It’s a different ball of wax to actual have policy and strategies that benefit the people and country.

I think PP would be a great guest on Fox News. But, he does nothing to win votes from the NDP or Libs.

I think the focus on affordable housing is a fool‘s errand. There are huge public housing vacancies across the country. However, no municipalities have the budgets or governance to bring them back to living conditions or ability to maintain public housing. The focus is on federal government to create affordable new housing.

There are good and bad tenants. However the bad brings everything down and makes them a dump in short order.

It’s no fun being a property manager or landlord. And I lived in public housing during a period in my life and have friends that still do.

ok, back to PP. Will the cons rein in spending? Can they get the economy back on track? I think population growth is important but, we can’t be an unlimited sanctuary to all refugees. We need skilled trades and professionals in areas of high demand.

I think PP would be a great guest on Fox News. But, he does nothing to win votes from the NDP or Libs.
The polls since the summer say otherwise.

Agreed with mimico.
He's 'promised' to cut red tape and tie municipal funding to housing targets. Don't hit 15% housing growth every year? Then you don't get federal money.
yeah, but you cant talk about the supply side of housing while completely(and conveniently) ignoring the demand side(like he does), and expect things to improve.

Im not just talking housing here, infrastructure, healthcare and services, traffic on the highways, its all affected across the board.
he does nothing to win votes from the NDP or Libs.
I've been seeing a bunch of the polls, and let me tell you, they disagree with you, the federal liberals are looking more and more like the ontario liberals.

It’s easy to be critical of the current government. You can even be good at it and resonate with the public or at least the voting base of your political stripe. It’s a different ball of wax to actual have policy and strategies that benefit the people and country.

I think the focus on affordable housing is a fool‘s errand. There are huge public housing vacancies across the country. However, no municipalities have the budgets or governance to bring them back to living conditions or ability to maintain public housing. The focus is on federal government to create affordable new housing.

There are good and bad tenants. However the bad brings everything down and makes them a dump in short order.

It’s no fun being a property manager or landlord. And I lived in public housing during a period in my life and have friends that still do.

ok, back to PP. Will the cons rein in spending? Can they get the economy back on track? I think population growth is important but, we can’t be an unlimited sanctuary to all refugees. We need skilled trades and professionals in areas of high demand.
When PCs win anything, it’s usually on a common sense platform and after Liberals or NDP have had a prolonged inept period of governing.

That’s where we are today. Pollsters will tell you the secrets - voters are worried about crime, govt waste, eroding freedoms, punitive and rising taxes, inflation, record deficits, housing costs and healthcare.

All PP needs to do is feed that into megaphones on a daily basis across the country and he will be the next PM.

Like Wynn Liberals did for Ford, JTs Liberals are doing the heavy lifting for PP.

Agreed with mimico.

yeah, but you cant talk about the supply side of housing while completely(and conveniently) ignoring the demand side(like he does), and expect things to improve.

Im not just talking housing here, infrastructure, healthcare and services, traffic on the highways, its all affected across the board.

I've been seeing a bunch of the polls, and let me tell you, they disagree with you, the federal liberals are looking more and more like the ontario liberals.
Much of that is not in the hands of the federal government, at least not solely. Dictating to the Premiers is what JT has been doing, ask him how that’s going.

As for immigration, I’m fairly certain he’s spoken about this; last I heard he thinks it’s a joke we have doctors from India mopping floors.

Agreed with mimico.

Why can’t you talk about just the supply side? You’re fixing this problem by increasing supply, not quelling demand.

You may have a future argument that says quell demand by reigning in immigration. But that doesn’t get considered until all the immigrant framers, block layers and roofers get here to solve the housing deficit first.

As for immigration, I’m fairly certain he’s spoken about this;
nope, never brings it up, ducks basic questions about reducing immigration like Mayweather did punches.

Last edited:
nope, never brings it up, ducks questions like Mayweather did punches.
That’s because he’ll probably rein it in.

No political need to talk about that, sometimes silence is golden.

You're bang on here. We've officially reached the point, as we did in Ontario, where voters are so ready for change that the Conservatives could put forward a cardboard box as leader and they'd still win huge in the election. They will win the next one in a total landslide, guaranteed. I can see a similar rout to the Kim Campbell and Ignatieff losses. This one may be even bigger for the Conservatives because I think the NDP has given the optics of becoming the left wing of the Liberal party, and may get punished almost as much.

With inflation and interest rates combining to really put the squeeze on people's finances, it is inevitable that people will want change, and Poilievre will be the prime beneficiary. The sad part is people will draw all the wrong lessons from the massive victory, and it'll encourage more of the dumbed down populism flowing out of Alberta, and is yet another nail in the coffin for intellectual conservatism. Poilievre will get lots of credit for simply being in the right place at the right time, similar to Dougie.

What we need right now is smart and hard pragmatic leadership, willing to be honest about the things we can no longer afford and the hard decisions that will be required to get through this tough patch with minimal damage. What we'll get (based on past performance) is a lot of scapegoating, finger pointing, and simplistic thinking. Maybe Poilievre will be like Meloni in Italy, and surprise everyone with clear-eyed leadership that's less tied to right/left dogma and more focused on practical solutions. But I have my doubts, as I think ol' Pierre is about half as smart as she is, and the Alberta wing of the party will want their pound of flesh.

(If only the Canadian Future party didn't have such an insanely terrible name. I like their goals, but choosing that name really calls into question their judgement...)

You're bang on here. We've officially reached the point, as we did in Ontario, where voters are so ready for change that the Conservatives could put forward a cardboard box as leader and they'd still win huge in the election. They will win the next one in a total landslide, guaranteed. I can see a similar rout to the Kim Campbell and Ignatieff losses. This one may be even bigger for the Conservatives because I think the NDP has given the optics of becoming the left wing of the Liberal party, and may get punished almost as much.

With inflation and interest rates combining to really put the squeeze on people's finances, it is inevitable that people will want change, and Poilievre will be the prime beneficiary. The sad part is people will draw all the wrong lessons from the massive victory, and it'll encourage more of the dumbed down populism flowing out of Alberta, and is yet another nail in the coffin for intellectual conservatism. Poilievre will get lots of credit for simply being in the right place at the right time, similar to Dougie.

What we need right now is smart and hard pragmatic leadership, willing to be honest about the things we can no longer afford and the hard decisions that will be required to get through this tough patch with minimal damage. What we'll get (based on past performance) is a lot of scapegoating, finger pointing, and simplistic thinking. Maybe Poilievre will be like Meloni in Italy, and surprise everyone with clear-eyed leadership that's less tied to right/left dogma and more focused on practical solutions. But I have my doubts, as I think ol' Pierre is about half as smart as she is, and the Alberta wing of the party will want their pound of flesh.

(If only the Canadian Future party didn't have such an insanely terrible name. I like their goals, but choosing that name really calls into question their judgement...)
I don't think the voting public will like the roll back that is needed to fix things. Poilievre's bashing of Trudeau has about as much depth as a bumper sticker campaign. They're amusing because we don't like JT.

Housing in Canada is like Jesus feeding the multitude with five loaves and two fishes. Unless a politician can walk across Lake Ontario they can't house the multitudes with what is on hand. They too will eventually get nailed to a tree.

I don't think the voting public will like the roll back that is needed to fix things. Poilievre's bashing of Trudeau has about as much depth as a bumper sticker campaign. They're amusing because we don't like JT.

Housing in Canada is like Jesus feeding the multitude with five loaves and two fishes. Unless a politician can walk across Lake Ontario they can't house the multitudes with what is on hand. They too will eventually get nailed to a tree.
it will be interesting to see if he campaigns on cuts, if he does and gets a majority../shrug

Public never likes the rollbacks, but they become necessary in order to balance budgets. If it were mine to do, I’d do it like any pragmatic
manager with fiscal goals. 1) eliminate obsolete, redundant programs. 2) Trim fat from bloated programs. 3)Fund new programs with savings from other program adjustments.

The housing and health service crisis is a federal liberal created problem. You can’t double immigration rates without a plan to house and care for new Canadians. Perhaps their focus should have been on balancing immigration with health care and housing… instead of carbon tax and things like WE.

The housing and health service crisis is a federal liberal created problem. You can’t double immigration rates without a plan to house and care for new Canadians. Perhaps their focus should have been on balancing immigration with health care and housing… instead of carbon tax and things like WE.
Also target immigrants based on skills needed in canada not based solely on finances or sad pictures from their home country. Habitat for humanity scaled up? Bring in trades to build dwellings for five years as part of the agreement? After the five years is up, they are free to change careers if they want but they will be qualified and have work experience if they want to stay in their trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom