Why I quit riding motorcycles. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why I quit riding motorcycles.

Free country

I'll sum it up for everyone who doesn't want to read the story.

Author loved bikes as a kid, raced as a young man, continued riding sportbikes after, had a wierd notion he was invincible, had a kid, got scared, quit riding.

He shares his experience in a matter of fact way. No bias.

The author has basically aged.....For guys who haven't had the taste of riding, it still remains a pursuit

For a second I thought it was you!

But I understand the writer's point, his priorities shifted in life and he became a changed man. He's better for stopping rather than holding onto a dream that he no longer could. He'd be danger to himself and to others on the road.

"Song of the Sausage Creature" is hardly an essay on the 900 Duc.Life is a constant balance of wants and needs for most people.This guy is just happy being squeezed out of a tube,rather than being shot out of a cannon.

This guy is just happy being squeezed out of a tube,rather than being shot out of a cannon.

I have to use this line in my own descriptions! Love it.

So he lacked self control and rode the bike as if he was on a race track, he had a near miss and it scared him out of riding....and this is surprising because???

I know lots of people who have left riding because of traffic tickets and licence suspensions...and some others who know they have no self control and will kill themselves on a MB.

Bottom line if he was riding the speed limit he probably would have never had his "accident", but lets face it we have all pushed it sometime or another....it his life... live and let live...

So he lacked self control and rode the bike as if he was on a race track, he had a near miss and it scared him out of riding....and this is surprising because???

Where does it say anyone was surprised? He is merely writing a story about his experience. Why is that wrong?

So he quits riding because he's afraid he'll die in a crash and leave his kids behind? :rolleyes:

Why doesn't this bozo stop getting into cars and walking in sidewalks, he might get hit by a vehicle and die too.

Where does it say anyone was surprised? He is merely writing a story about his experience. Why is that wrong?

Quitting motorcycling is not wrong - but what grates on me is why does he need to write a story justifying why he doesn't ride anymore? When I'm comfortable with my decisions I don't feel the need to justify them or have them validated. I wouldn't skydive or bungee jump - but I don't go out to those venues and preach to people who do those activities that they are dangerous - or apologize because I don't feel I have the courage to do them. But it seems I can't stop anywhere on my bike without hearing a story about someone who use to ride and gave it up because .... insert reason here.

And I don't get any sense in the story that even after all these years, he's accepted that the accident was his fault. I've had an accident - I've been hauled off the side of a mountain road by ambulance and it was definitely my fault. I was going too fast on a slick unfamiliar road and the back tire slid out in a tight corner at the top of a hill. I was also lucky to only have broken my shoulder blade. So accepting it was my fault, I take responsibility. By taking responsibility you take back control.

Really there is nothing groundbreaking in this article that I see making it worthy of publication - its just the same, tired old story we've all heard dozens of time.

Why I quit riding motorcycles? Who cares?

Last edited:
Really there is nothing groundbreaking in this article that I see making it worthy of publication - its just the same, tired old story we've all heard dozens of time.

Hahaha yeah man, really. The guy must be some piggo politician or someone with clout to be taken seriously and go as far as publishing his dumb story.

I stopped after those sentences:

I decided to take Spadina Avenue so I could run through the curves just north of College Street. I clicked down a gear and banked into the first section, carving through it like a low-flying plane.Then it happened. Someone had dumped a load of gravel at the exit, and I was going too fast to miss it. My training and race experience meant nothing now – I was a prisoner of physics, sliding out of control into oncoming traffic. I missed two cars, but clipped the back corner of a TTC bus.

Idiot enough to think the public road is a race track, but intelligent enough to quit. If he had ridden is bike like he should have done, he would have had no accident! A lot of people I know that crashed was because of their stupidity while riding.

I stopped after those sentences:

Idiot enough to think the public road is a race track, but intelligent enough to quit. If he had ridden is bike like he should have done, he would have had no accident! A lot of people I know that crashed was because of their stupidity while riding.

Why is he writing now about this ancient event? Last time that north of College on Spadina one could slide into oncoming and nearly miss a bus (not a street car or be stopped by the 2 boundary curbs), was nearly 20 years ago.

Regurgitating fear mongering to what end?

Back
Top Bottom