Why I quit riding motorcycles. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why I quit riding motorcycles.

I would hazard a guess that since he's a journalist, his editor asked him to write the article. Something that wasn't a product review, ruffle a few feathers maybe (which he clearly did).

I didn't think it was fear-mongering, since he didn't advocate banning motorcycles and clearly loves them. Pointing out that statistics, chance and physics don't go away because you THINK you're competent isn't a bad lesson to offer.

He reassessed the risk after the accident and came to his own conclusion based on his own changing priorities. It's difficult for people to accept in a society drenched in marketing, but sometimes consumer products aren't as important as we think.

Interesting that he thinks racing around on public roads in a car is ok, but not on a motorcycle. A jagged rock wall can still kill you in a car. More importantly, screwing up on a bike will probably just kill you, do it in a car and you are more likely to kill someone else and leave their kids without a mother or father and still have the potential to kill yourself.

That guys story is my life in reverse. All my life i was against motorcycles, had no real interest, could drive by a dealership without ogling them, and couldn't care less if i ever rode one. Then a few years ago i tagged along to one of the bike shows with a buddy and it all changed, plus i turned 40, that might have had something to do with it... midlife crises? :confused::lmao:

He shouldn't have rode like a GP racer in local roads in the first place, espeically around spadina and college.... oh well

Personally, I thought it was a well-written article. I enjoyed reading it. The man made a choice. I admire and respect that.

I believe there are riders on this forum who will continue to ride and endanger themselves (and others) when clearly they should hang up their bike keys. "Attitude is everything".

The papers are only supposed to write about gang shootings in the Eaton Centre, aren't they??

I'm 25, when I get engaged I'm going to sell my bike as well. So I still have about 3-5 years of riding left at a minimum.

That article only makes me wants to buy a second bike :confused2:

I'm 25, when I get engaged I'm going to sell my bike as well. So I still have about 3-5 years of riding left at a minimum.

Are you nuts? Ever since I got married and had kids I ride even MORE just to get away from my house and the constant screaming.

Are you nuts? Ever since I got married and had kids I ride even MORE just to get away from my house and the constant screaming.

+1. I didn't start riding until I got married and had two kids. Need to escape sometimes. Don't give up riding just cause you are getting married. It'll be much harder to get back into when you realize your mistake.

So he quits riding because he's afraid he'll die in a crash and leave his kids behind? :rolleyes:

Why doesn't this bozo stop getting into cars and walking in sidewalks, he might get hit by a vehicle and die too.

I think the point he was making is he's 35 times more likely to do it on a motorcycle, and with a wife and kids he decided the risk finally outweighed the reward. Everyone is entitled to make their own choices about riding a motorcycle (or not riding one), and come to their own conclusions about whether it is worth the risk for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I thought it was a well-written article. I enjoyed reading it. The man made a choice. I admire and respect that.

Agreed. I think some guys are just scared that their wife is gonna read that and say "see honey, you should sell the bike!" lol Or maybe they've thought about this before and now they feel like their own opinion is "threatend" by this article.

And LOL at people for calling this guy irresponsible and saying "if he rode speed limit...". Come on, I bet there isn't a single person here that hasn't gone over the speed limit ever on their bike.

I think the point he was making is he's 35 times more likely to do it on a motorcycle, and with a wife and kids he decided the risk finally outweighed the reward. Everyone is entitled to make their own choices about riding a motorcycle (or not riding one), and come to their own conclusions about whether it is worth the risk for

Well said! I got my M2 in August, 2009. My then 18 y.o. son asked if he could get his license. If my son had gotten his M2, I would have stopped riding. My choice. End of.

+1. I didn't start riding until I got married and had two kids. Need to escape sometimes. Don't give up riding just cause you are getting married. It'll be much harder to get back into when you realize your mistake.
What did you guys get married and have kids for if you didn't want to spend time with your fam?

If it can't kill me then I dont want to ride it.....I would rather die living life having fun riding, then live life like Im already dead.....Everyone has the right to do what they want, and I can respect someone decision to stop riding if they are scared. I personally was almost killed by a motorcycle 6 months ago...I have been through a lot in my recovery, 13 hour reconstructive surgery on my skull with 60 titanium implants in my face, lost my sense of smell and about 50% of my eye sight in one eye. And still I could not wait to get back on a bike and ride again, so even after actually coming close to death because of motorcycles, I could never stop riding. The fear or excitement of the speed and danger these machines create is part of what drives me to ride them....If its not dangerous its not fun.....

Back
Top Bottom