Why I quit riding motorcycles. | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why I quit riding motorcycles.

Amazing how everyone is harping on him. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see in the article where he advises others to stop riding, he's simply sharing his experiences. If you read any of his other articles, you'll see that's his regular subject matter. Clearly this was something important in his life and he felt the need to share it.

And who here hasn't gone a bit faster around a corner than was appropriate? I'm sorry, but I don't know a single rider that hasn't "clicked down a gear and banked into the first section, carving through it like a low-flying plane." I bet all you naysayers drive exactly at the posted speed limit as well

Last edited:
And who here hasn't gone a bit faster around a corner than was appropriate? I'm sorry, but I don't know a single rider that hasn't "clicked down a gear and banked into the first section, carving through it like a low-flying plane." I bet all you naysayers drive exactly at the posted speed limit as well

I know plenty of riders who go less then the speed limit when going around a corner and if you dont, you dont know very many riders.

No one has claimed to be perfect in this thread, and I am sure most here drive and ride over the speed limit, if you do not, you are not even keeping with the flow of traffic. I do not think that is the topic of Discussion. The problem is that the writer (Who was also a racer at the time) was treating the street like a race track, riding as if there was nothing that could possibly make him crash. He had NO room for error. Even in advanced riding classes we teach line selection, and other skills to help give you that safety margin for events such as he described. He was pushing at 10/10ths with no room for error, (As noted be another poster) on a blind corner with an intersectio. Sooner or later that will bite you.

The writer also talks about the risk and riding not being worth the risk, but he participates in other activites that are even more risky than riding. If he rode "normally" on the street he would have reduced his risk greatly. To write an article and make it look like its riding a bike that is dangerous and not how he was riding when he continues to participate in other risky activites.

Have anyone of you actually talked to the writer? Asked him about the article, what he was trying to say or why?

Some of the reply I got when I asked him and told him what I thought.

"but riding motorcyclesis dangerous. So are some of many of the other things I do, like flying andscuba diving.In each case, I haveassessed the risk / reward ratio, and made a judgement. That's why I'm stillflying gliders after 35 years.
Skilled motorcycleriders who use good judgement can reduce the risk considerably. But the risks willalways be higher than in a car. To me, it was no longer worth it. Sports carsand track driving are."

"- Idon't blame anyone but myself for that crash. I screwed up. Bikes aren'ttolerant of error. And even the best riders make them.
As to the discussion - I am always ready to listen andlearn."

Writers write to get a response as a response means someone is reading their article period. Viewership sells that's his only reason for writing it in the first place. He could hardly say "I have no disipline so I quite riding the end"

I mentioned all this too him and why I thought the article was crap. I mentioned also that it was his fault for riding like he was on a track and treating the road like a track and that he fails to make the fact that he had an accident that was a result of his riding a point, not the fault of being a rider.

By the way Gliders are far more dangerous than riding bikes.

Well poop. And I was thinking of taking that up this year. Seriously. I guess I should look into the risks a bit more. SCUBA I know.

Well poop. And I was thinking of taking that up this year. Seriously. I guess I should look into the risks a bit more. SCUBA I know.

LOL. I have a cousin who flies Gliders (Not my thing) he has crashed twice! Also have a cousin who I ride bikes with a lot who was flying a trike unit with a parachute and now flies a back pack unit. (He just got hurt during a landing) Just not my thing, but to each his own. He does not try to convince me how safe it is, we both know the risks.

Back
Top Bottom