Why I quit riding motorcycles. | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why I quit riding motorcycles.

That little roundabout thing is kind of cool on a bike though...

You think that's cool? Try a real roundabout at Townline Road/Can-Amera pkwy south of 401 near Cambridge :D

Normal person: *casually does 30+ over the speed limit on the highway*
Person with kids: "OMG YOU MANIAC, YOU COULD KILL MY KIDS!!!"

You think that's cool? Try a real roundabout at Townline Road/Can-Amera pkwy south of 401 near Cambridge :D
If you're ever in Halifax and rip the roundabout there, let me know the date and time and I can copy the private recording from the traffic camera there. It only keeps the video for a week, so you have to let me know quick :D

http://www.ourston.com/index.php?id=78

-Jamie M.

What did you guys get married and have kids for if you didn't want to spend time with your fam?

I've wanted to ride As far back as I can remember, it just never worked out before that point. Don't take it as I don't want to spend time with my family, I do. Just need to spend time alone doing something I love as well.

Here's a better story. My dad stopped riding after I started wanting my own bike at 16. Almost 20 years later at age 68, this weekend he bought a 1984 Goldwing. After his first ride he said "I feel like a new man".

/thread.

Last edited:
What I got form that story is the author decided to stop riding because he was scared to death after riding a GSXR1000 on twisty roads, really who could blame him?! :D

If it can't kill me then I dont want to ride it.....I would rather die living life having fun riding, then live life like Im already dead.....Everyone has the right to do what they want, and I can respect someone decision to stop riding if they are scared. I personally was almost killed by a motorcycle 6 months ago...I have been through a lot in my recovery, 13 hour reconstructive surgery on my skull with 60 titanium implants in my face, lost my sense of smell and about 50% of my eye sight in one eye. And still I could not wait to get back on a bike and ride again, so even after actually coming close to death because of motorcycles, I could never stop riding. The fear or excitement of the speed and danger these machines create is part of what drives me to ride them....If its not dangerous its not fun.....

Wow, I have the same philosophy of how to live life.
If you are not living life on the edge, you are just taking up space!

I've wanted to ride As far back as I can remember, it just never worked out before that point. Don't take it as I don't want to spend time with my family, I do. Just need to spend time alone doing something I love as well.

I can relate to this. Always wanted a bike when I was in my 20's. I turned 50 this year and decided to do it. I got my M1 last month and I did the training. My 17 year old daughter and 21 year old son are excited with the former asking if she can get a motorcycle. My wife isn't too pleased but she has had no issues when we've been on vacation and I have rented a scooter or in some cases a motorcycle. I also have a friend who had a very bad car accident in the 80's who is totally against my decision and tried to talk me out of it. In my short stint as a bike owner, I have already experienced my first ignorant driver (note - as a driver for many years, I have noted the level of ignorance and selfishness on our roads has reached an all-time high). However, I will continue to enjoy two wheeling. It is my personal roller-coaster!

I didn't bother reading the article but I would beg the question, whats the point of writing it in the first place? and so what really. To me there are only two reasons for writing such an article, 1. To justify ones actions 2. To convince others to do the same in a similar situation.

Really who cares. I prefer Turkey to chicken and I don't drink homo milk but who really gives a rats.

I thought it was a good article, Some points I took away from it (Being an older rider with over 35 years in the seat)

1. He rode like an *** on the street when he also spent time on the track and could have kept the "stupid" limited to the track
2. He had no self control.
3. I look at like what he wrote as "Falling out of Love"........ He over time was no longer really happy with his relationship but the thought of it kept him alive and was not ready to "Change"....... then he finally realized it was time, got the divorce and re-married into cars instead of bikes.

To each, their own.

Though motorcycling is hard passion to stay away from. I stopped riding then came back to it.

So he quits riding because he's afraid he'll die in a crash and leave his kids behind? :rolleyes:

Why doesn't this bozo stop getting into cars and walking in sidewalks, he might get hit by a vehicle and die too.

It's common knowledge that motorcycling is inherently more dangerous than driving a car, let alone walking on a sidewalk.

Just because he's not in denial of the risks associated with the sport, doesn't make him a bozo.

Though perhaps he might have found that a smaller bike or a cruiser would have made him more comfortable on the road and able to keep riding?

Quitting motorcycling is not wrong - but what grates on me is why does he need to write a story justifying why he doesn't ride anymore? When I'm comfortable with my decisions I don't feel the need to justify them or have them validated. I wouldn't skydive or bungee jump - but I don't go out to those venues and preach to people who do those activities that they are dangerous - or apologize because I don't feel I have the courage to do them. But it seems I can't stop anywhere on my bike without hearing a story about someone who use to ride and gave it up because .... insert reason here.

And I don't get any sense in the story that even after all these years, he's accepted that the accident was his fault. I've had an accident - I've been hauled off the side of a mountain road by ambulance and it was definitely my fault. I was going too fast on a slick unfamiliar road and the back tire slid out in a tight corner at the top of a hill. I was also lucky to only have broken my shoulder blade. So accepting it was my fault, I take responsibility. By taking responsibility you take back control.

Really there is nothing groundbreaking in this article that I see making it worthy of publication - its just the same, tired old story we've all heard dozens of time.

Why I quit riding motorcycles? Who cares?
Obviously you do to have posted that long comment

..............And I don't get any sense in the story that even after all these years, he's accepted that the accident was his fault...............

I don't even buy the 'dumped gravel' bit.

Crashing from incompetence is not at all cool, and he is VERY cool.

Interesting how so many people have such a strong reaction to a story about someone giving up motorcycling. Why do you take it so personally ? There's more to life than motorcycles even though some of you may think otherwise. I love bikes and generally have two or three at any given time but I love other things to.Life isn't one dimensional guys. Take the story for what it is. An interesting experience through the eyes of someone thats had a change of priorities.Nothing more.

Really there is nothing groundbreaking in this article that I see making it worthy of publication - its just the same, tired old story we've all heard dozens of time.

Why I quit riding motorcycles? Who cares?

Pretty much sums it all up

Interesting how so many people have such a strong reaction to a story about someone giving up motorcycling. Why do you take it so personally ? There's more to life than motorcycles even though some of you may think otherwise...Life isn't one dimensional guys. Take the story for what it is. An interesting experience through the eyes of someone thats had a change of priorities.Nothing more.

Very good insight, and maturity. I believe the latter is sorely lacking in this forum. I repeat. It all comes down to choice and respect. Plain and simple! Imagine how boring this world would be if we were all the same?

Back
Top Bottom