why do bikes seem to have a "cool" factor? | GTAMotorcycle.com

why do bikes seem to have a "cool" factor?

ducati rider

i remember when i was younger, i see a biker and i was like woah so cool. i dont think anyone taught me to think that way.

wut's up with bikes and the cool factor? now that i ride a bike, i really don't think it's THAT cool, but more fun than driving.

Motorcycle is to this generation, as the Knight on a Horse is to the middle ages generation. Its cus we RUN THIS SHIZZ YO

Nothing says manliness better than straddling 100 - 200 horses between your legs.

^ hey Mr.Sherin, when are you gonna get your bike out? :p lol

dont mean to thread jack..

the thing is, you are wearing all this gear, you got something that can destroy ferraris and lambos, its pretty cool :p lol plus consider it being a huge toy

Motorcycle is to this generation, as the Knight on a Horse is to the middle ages generation. Its cus we RUN THIS SHIZZ YO

Nothing says manliness better than straddling 100 - 200 horses between your legs.
Or maybe just 75 horses? Like, 75 is pretty manly too eh? YO

Anyone can drive a car, your 80-year nana can drive a car. Not everyone can ride a motorcycle, it takes a certain combination of skills and courage to ride, especially in traffic.

i remember when i was younger, i see a biker and i was like woah so cool. i dont think anyone taught me to think that way.

wut's up with bikes and the cool factor? now that i ride a bike, i really don't think it's THAT cool, but more fun than driving.

I think it's mostly a North American thing. Anywhere else you'd see scooters mopeds and small bike everywhere, all the time. Bikes there make people go 'meh'.

Here at home they are very uncommon so they stand out a little more, plus their look & sound clearly associates them with speed and risk. But there are also clues that are pervasive in culture and media that kind of romanticize motorcycles, and we pick up on those clues naturally from a very early age.

Not everyone can ride a motorcycle, it takes a certain combination of skills and courage to ride, especially in traffic.

Really? Riding isn't the realm of supposedly elite operators that some here make it out to be. There are plenty of places in the world where two wheels is the standard mode of transport, where four wheels is a luxury, and where everyone and their cousin's grandfather are day-in day-out riders without benefit of track day training or any formal training at all.

If not that many people ride here, it's not so much a commentary on supposed skill sets or fears, but more a reflection of our climate and a society that is affluent enough that most people can afford to ride in the all-weather comfort of four wheels, heating and air conditioning.

When you're really young and your older brother rides his bicycle on two wheels and you're still stuck using training sets, THAT's when you realize that 2 wheels is cooler than 4 wheels.

Then you grow up and realize that being in control of a machine (engine) gives a huge sense of empowerment.

Put the two together and motorcycles become some of the coolest things on this planet.

I had the same experience as a kid. Anything motorcycles was the coolest. I had to have motorcycle toys, posters, games, shirts, anything.

To me, motorcycles are so cool for 3 reasons:

1) Motorcycles defy gravity! Don't believe me? Put the side stand up and let go of the bike and see what happens. Every time we ride we are defying gravity.

2) When you ride a motorcycle you are exposed to all of the elements. In a car you are in a bubble. Between you and the rest of the world is steel, glass, sound deadening material, air filters, and climate control. Basically cars are designed to separate you from the outside world and create a bubble. Heaven forbid you smell something or get hit by bug! On a bike you are completely exposed to the wind, rain, sun, bugs, rocks, smells etc and it is awesome!

3) When you ride a motorcycle it takes your entire body to move the bike. When you are in a car, you can literally slump over and control the thing with one hand and one foot. With some modification you can install a hand operated throttle and break, so you only need your two hands to drive. With a motorcycle your whole body comes into play. The way you sit, the way you shift your weight, hand inputs, foot inputs all coordinated in order to control the bike. Much cooler!

When your mom forbids you from associating with those hooligans on two wheels, because she knows you will kill yourself if you merely get on for a test ride, the coolness factor goes up. Donor cycles. What is forbidden makes you want it more.

Really? Riding isn't the realm of supposedly elite operators that some here make it out to be. There are plenty of places in the world where two wheels is the standard mode of transport, where four wheels is a luxury, and where everyone and their cousin's grandfather are day-in day-out riders without benefit of track day training or any formal training at all.

Well we're talking about riding here, not Thailand or Brazil. How about seeing it this way: Here everyone has a choice of what to drive. How many here choose to drive cars and wouldn't never even consider riding a motorcycle because they are far too dangerous? I'd say most. So choosing to do something that the vast majority of people perceive as incredibly dangerous is pretty "cool".

Well we're talking about riding here, not Thailand or Brazil. How about seeing it this way: Here everyone has a choice of what to drive. How many here choose to drive cars and wouldn't never even consider riding a motorcycle because they are far too dangerous? I'd say most. So choosing to do something that the vast majority of people perceive as incredibly dangerous is pretty "cool".

Some may see it as dangerous, but the bigger argument is practicality. A motorcycle is a poor all-round transportation choice not only because of climate reasons, but also because all the "stuff" we tend to load in our cars and trucks (including friends, family, children) simply wouldn't fit very well on most motorcycles. As a result, for most people a motorcycle's only practical value is one of recreational transportation. That means that motorcycles are and will remain a niche market in Ontario. Anything "niche" will tend to be viewed as "cool" by some, "pointless" by others, and not even given a second thought at all by the vast hordes.

As far as motorcycles being dangerous, much of that danger rests on the shoulders of the operator. There are a lot of long-time riders out there, myself included, whose riding careers over decades have involved no injury to speak of, and no crashes other than driveway drops either, and this despite all the supposedly poor drivers we share the roads with. I wouldn't call motorcycles inherently dangerous, but I do recognize that they expose a rider to more risk and adjust my riding to suit.

The "motorcycles are dangerous" thought really comes into play only when some hooligan intent on becoming an organ donor is seen hurtling through traffic as if it was a race. No doubt there is a pinhead contingent who thinks that kind of operation is cool, just as there is a pinhead contingent who thinks that Fast'n'Furious style street running in cars is cool. However, the majority of people out there just see it as stupid and uncool.

Back to the riders with relatively unblemished riding careers. If these people and their bikes are somehow cool, it's because they're "cool" in the same way that a convertible is "cool" on a nice day. Bikes, uncommon. Convertibles, uncommon. Jeeps, the real CJs with roof off, uncommon. Old classic cars and restored street rods, uncommon. Coolness comes from being uncommon, not from being seen as doing something stupid or incredibly dangerous.

Last edited:
Okay turbodude, what's the most frequent initial reaction when telling a non-rider that you ride a motorcycle? Is it, "Oh, that's so impractical. I would never ride a motorcycle because I wouldn't be able to take my kids to soccer practice and pick up the groceries" or is it, "Oh, that's so dangerous. I would never ride a motorcycle because my uncle Norbert was killed on a motorcycle"? I say it's the latter.

Okay turbodude, what's the most frequent initial reaction when telling a non-rider that you ride a motorcycle? Is it, "Oh, that's so impractical. I would never ride a motorcycle because I wouldn't be able to take my kids to soccer practice and pick up the groceries" or is it, "Oh, that's so dangerous. I would never ride a motorcycle because my uncle Norbert was killed on a motorcycle"? I say it's the latter.

I've never had anyone suggest "oh that's so dangerous".

The most I've had people comment on is "But it's raining and you'll get soaked", or "Isn't it too cold to ride in the winter". I've also had people comment on where I put stuff when I go to Home Depot on it. All those comments reflect on practicality.

as a kid i always thought it was cool, for a few reason i think

1 it defies gravity as someone said
2 its differnt from all the cars you see all the time so it stands out
3 its fast!!! as a kid you always wanna win races, have the fastest car, bike ect
4 cool looking gear
5 even as a kid you can appreciate a sexy motorcycle body
6 awsome movie scenes like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xluf64yFUYo&NR=1

Back
Top Bottom