Why abuse the situation? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Why abuse the situation?

tk1ng

"It sounds like the Indy downtown tonight. If folks are racing motorcycles and cars on city streets like Bloor, Bathurst, Ossington and Davenport in broad daylight, it’s because they don’t fear getting caught."

That's from Matt Galloway, the CBC presenter. Dude has 93k twitter followers and hundreds of thousands of listeners coast to coast in Canada. It has already prompted enough response to prompt the Toronto police to look into it.

I'll ask the same question here I did on Twitter, "why aggravate the millions of people living under a never ending quarantine?" This isn't going to end well for anyone on two wheels.

Hard to buy the whole racing on the streets in downtown
sounds like a case of the mankarens

Also LOL at those who decide to live downtown and complain about noise and traffic.

I like to hear the engine on my bike running down the road, But i don't need to be chattering my teeth from the loudness i hear on some bikes

Could it be NIMBY?

"This isn't going to end well for anyone on two wheels"
?

I've had my fair share of missed accidents by distracted drivers in vehicles.
I cannot imagine what the situation would be if I had a silent exhaust.

Not saying that I fully agree that loud pipes save lives - but on such a small vehicle atleast they can hear me (for the most part) when I'm a car length or so away from them.

Sure - a lot of young guys (maybe girls too?) racing up and down tonight...but I'd rather have them on bikes (not the racing portion) than get into gangs, alcohol and drugs lol.
I mean like - what else are they going to do in order to get rid of that pent up testosterone filled energy?

I wonder what the repercussions will be - since a public figure like him tweeted this.
But for now I doubt this will overtake Covid in the media.

I call ******** on that post.

Unless you're ramping on the DVP, and even then you're looking at 12AM to 6AM which means no lights and raccoons crossing the highway, there's no place to "race" downtown that wouldn't end with death very fast.

Me thinking it's loud noises and ignorant normies.

was down by lakeshore at like 6pm tonight and there were definitely bikers racing from the lights. they were racing some car cause there was definitely squealing off the line. loud and annoying as ****.

but on the city streets? i doubt its racing during the day (at night is a different matter as there are definitey packs of bikers blasting around at like 1am) but just dudes jerking off their throttles for no reason.

this isnt just "oh if you live in the city you deal with noise!" crap. construction is basically legal 24 hours now and everyone is stuck at home.

Neighbors are complaining about street racing. Someone said they heard a loud vehicle and made the assumption.
More likely it's people who forgot to shift, or who need a new muffler.
They're all phoning the city, the police, and the Councillor. There'll be speed traps put up, some of them will get upset when they're the ones caught, and nothing will be done about the actual problem. More than likely the perpetrators are local, unless it's a meet up at the local mall. I want to tell them that they're wasting their time, and the city's resources, but I don't know of a polite way to do so, so I probably won't. Maybe we'll get speed bumps everywhere, and 20 kph limits.

Another example of how quickly things escalate.

Neighbors are complaining about street racing. Someone said they heard a loud vehicle and made the assumption.
More likely it's people who forgot to shift, or who need a new muffler.
They're all phoning the city, the police, and the Councillor. There'll be speed traps put up, some of them will get upset when they're the ones caught, and nothing will be done about the actual problem. More than likely the perpetrators are local, unless it's a meet up at the local mall. I want to tell them that they're wasting their time, and the city's resources, but I don't know of a polite way to do so, so I probably won't. Maybe we'll get speed bumps everywhere, and 20 kph limits.

Another example of how quickly things escalate.
The city should just keep a stock of those temporary speed humps. When locals complain about speeding, throw out the humps for a few weeks until the complaints about the humps exceed the complaints about speeding then say you tried and people need to be less whiney.

My stock exhaust is notoriously quiet, like sewing machine level. Yet just in the last week I experienced:

- Dad's 4 beers deep, yelling at me from the front porch to "slow the f@#$ down this is a neighborhood", while their kids race past me on the road with their 10 speeds and razor scooters

- OPP following me through a dozen distinct side road turns, presumably running my plates and then waiting for me to creep a few kph above the speed limit (after 20 wasted minutes they finally gave up)

- passing a radar trap on Snake road, DEAD ON THE SPEED LIMIT because I know they are frequently setup there. The officer still felt compelled to step into the roadway and give me an emphatic "slow down" hand motion as I rolled by.

Noise complaints probably aren't helping, but I don't know how they could make it much worse than the hate for motorcycles that already exists.

I have always wondered about down town Montreal.
There are signs disallowing motorcycles after 10:00pm
I have always wondered if this is legal.

Could this happen in Toronto.

I honestly don't think it constitutional.

what right is being infringed?

Read the HTA - driving is a privilege not a right, therefore the constitution has no bearing in the argument.
All of Toronto could make a bylaw that bans everything except public transit if they wanted to and be perfectly within their rights to ticket people who are breaking that bylaw.

Back
Top Bottom