Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2020 Edition) | Page 16 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall & Winter 2020 Edition)

And am back, after a couple of hours. Didn't ride too long, just enough to silence the urge for another week. It was cold, and icy. A few kms of a road wasn't cleared and hence was iced out. Rode on ice after years; brought back old memories and associated horrors :)

Did the following, with the snowed out section encircled:

Screenshot 2020-12-28 at 13.54.49.png

Halton - 1 (1).jpeg

I want to get out, but not bad enough to get my bike covered in brine. I'm not one of those "but there's still salt on the road!" sorts when it comes to loose rock salt in a corner or whatever (one can go around that in the wheel tracks the same as you'd go around sand in a corner in the summer) but wet brine...well, that **** gets everywhere, and I'm not wanting to ride bad enough as to want to turn on the water to the garage and drag out the garden hose again right now.

And am back, after a couple of hours. Didn't ride too long, just enough to silence the urge for another week. It was cold, and icy. A few kms of a road wasn't cleared and hence was iced out. Rode on ice after years; brought back old memories and associated horrors :)

Did the following, with the snowed out section encircled:

View attachment 46319

View attachment 46320
Azzhole! JK!! (I want to be out there :(). Amazing you got out.

Nice ride, curious how well does it block any wind, doesn't look like there is much protection except front/center?

saw a Grom braving it around Mississauga yesterday ....all bundled up. (y)
Extracted the bikes from the moving debris in the garage

Saturday seems rideable and the CB500x is not bothered by the cold for starting. The CBF shall sleep until I return from Australia in the spring.
Screen Shot 2020-12-28 at Dec, 28    2020    11.23.26 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like another good ride day here, sure glad I didn't buy a new snowmobile, snow season hasn't even started yet. At this rate motorcycle season is 10 months long and snowmobile season is 2 months long unless you plan to get one fast enough to ride open water.

I used to be a snowmobiler back in the day with my dad. Those days of being able to go a half hour north to our old cottage on Scugog and ride all day are gone - now for the most part if you live anywhere within an hour of the 401 corridor you're going to have to trailer somewhere to actually ride.

That was the biggest reason I bought Jetskis years ago - was having trouble finding snow. Never had trouble finding water.

I used to be a snowmobiler back in the day with my dad. Those days of being able to go a half hour north to our old cottage on Scugog and ride all day are gone - now for the most part if you live anywhere within an hour of the 401 corridor you're going to have to trailer somewhere to actually ride.

That was the biggest reason I bought Jetskis years ago - was having trouble finding snow. Never had trouble finding water.
jetskis are my next toy purchase, you and i shall discuss!

Going up to 5*c in KW this week

Hmm :rolleyes:

edit: nope I lied

-__-"

Last edited by a moderator:
jetskis are my next toy purchase, you and i shall discuss!

I intentionally owned 2 older machines - a Polaris Virage and a Yamaha GP1200.

The Virage was a 3 up couch-on-water that was perfect for my wife to learn on, quiet, super stable, 3 seater (so could legally tow things), and would run all weekend on a tank of gas.

The GP1200 was pretty much the polar opposite of that...noisy (but a sweet 3 cylinder burble), abrasive at times (it could be a handful), drank fuel at an insane rate, not particularly stable as it was designed to go like stink, not be stable or beginner friendly.....but fun as **** to ride.

Both were carbureted (what I wanted, I like simple....minimal electronics), 2 stroke (but oil injected, didn't need mix) and were reliable. Had to rebuild the top end of the GP1200 at one point as I had an oil injection line fall off, but that's another story - did it in the garage. My own fault for not checking the things often enough.

I bought the Polaris and a blown up SeaDoo (XP, they were known for blowing up) as well as basically a brand new dual trailer on eBay from a guy in Michigan for $2400USD. Brought them home, sold the XP for $950 as is (they have a following and guys want the hulls I discovered) so even after the trip to Michigan, the taxes etc etc I had a brand new dual trailer and a perfect running Polaris for basically $2K. Bought the GP1200 from a guy in Bowmanville.

I would own both of those old machines again in a hearbeat.

Only reason I sold them is that we got back into 2 wheels again and the skis were just sitting. Rode them for a few hundred hours each over our period of ownership and still ended up *making* money on the deal when I sold them.

So how often does that river crossing go wrong?
:LOL: I never have a problem with it,
the KTM guys don't think much of it.

Total tortoise and the snow hare scrambles today, three of us cleared and marked a lot of trail today and then rode the loop twice in a row. Getting tons of ride time in this year, awesome practice, if you can ride this **** you can ride anything.

Hows this one, this is a 2 hour build from last week ? it's the bridge over river kwai
bridgeoverriverkwai.jpg
was an interesting approach and exit today once your brakes iced up.

I need to sort out a front brake ice up problem :unsure: it can get very scary on the steep downs with only about 10 percent of your front brake and it's hard to ride them enough to keep it hot, I think I need a front brake heater or maybe remove the disc guard for the winter, cut some groves across the brake pads or something crazy like that.

Hows this one, this is a 2 hour build from last week ? it's the bridge over river kwai
View attachment 46346
was an interesting approach and exit today once your brakes iced up.

Will that support a fat guy on a 1000# cruiser? ?

I need to sort out a front brake ice up problem :unsure: it can get very scary on the steep downs with only about 10 percent of your front brake and it's hard to ride them enough to keep it hot, I think I need a front brake heater or maybe remove the disc guard for the winter, cut some groves across the brake pads or something crazy like that.
Brakes only slow you down

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Will that support a fat guy on a 1000# cruiser? ?
You'd need a winch to get either one up the hill on the other side ;) ... if you want to try it we can arrange it, I'll take the video.

Brakes are handy when you are aimed down a hundred foot ice log and rock covered beaver slide that is about as steep as a double diamond ski hill. There is only so much engine braking available on a 300cc engine :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom