Who pays for the safety/certification | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who pays for the safety/certification

I don't preach, I state what I know from personal experience.

Sounds like preaching to me.

Taking one of my bikes in for a safety vs. phoning in the VIN nets the same result. When it get's pushed out of the garage for the first ride it's 99.99%* safe.

* nothing is 100% safe. If 100% safe was a truth, there would have been no mass manufacturer recalls on cars for what amounts to Claymores stuffed into the steering wheels............that were sold as "safe".

Last edited:
Taking one of my bikes in for a safety vs. phoning in the VIN nets the same result.
And against the MOT rules. The inspection station owner and the inspecting mechanic can get in big trouble - enough to be fined and get their tickets pulled. If your ride is 99.99 % safe then why not get it done right ? Whether you're buying or selling it's in your best interest ?

Last edited:
And against the MOT rules. The inspection station owner and the inspecting mechanic can get in big trouble - enough to be fined and get their tickets pulled. If your ride is 99.99 % safe then why not get it done right ? Whether you're buying or selling it's in your best interest ?

I guess you glossed over the italicized my. What Ted does is Ted's business. It doesn't affect me in the least.

When I bought the bike I have now it was an out of town bring your trailer situation. I had sold my car with the hitch on it, so I called up my buddy who I've been riding/racing/drinking/carousing and generally hanging out in our garages together for the last 45 years to drive me to get it with his car + trailer. While I was in the house doing weird estate paperwork with the previous owner's widow, he was out in the garage with her BF checking out the bike and gathering up all the spare parts. When we were loading it up he said to me "dude, you got a screaming deal. This thing is mint. Just get rid of all the goofy crap the guy put on it and fix the rat's nest (wiring)". Spent a few weeks sorting everything out and changing it over to SM trim. When it was almost done I called my buddy up. "It's going to be done mid next week and I'm gonna need the safety so I can get the ownership/sticker sorted out". "Read the VIN off to me and swing by the shop Saturday". Kinda pointless for him to come and trailer my bike to the shop to safety it then trailer it back when he'd been in my garage numerous times while I was working on it over the course of the what I'd done on it and knew exactly what he was signing off on.

That reminds me. I still haven't put a horn on it. Hope the MTO doesn't find out.

Last edited:
Get it towed, or rent/borrow a trailer and DIY.
You can also get a temporary "T" transit plate which is good (I think) for 10 days, but you have to have insurance.

Don't try this at home, but not too many people know about this legal loophole in Ontario Highway Traffic Act:

Temporary use of plates

(3) Despite section 12, a person to whom number plates have been issued under subsection 7 (7) for a vehicle the person no longer owns or leases may affix the number plates to a similar class of vehicle that the person owns or leases where it is done in accordance with the prescribed requirements. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 11 (3).
(4) Despite section 7 and clauses 12 (1) (d) and (e), a person may drive a motor vehicle or draw a trailer on a highway within six days after becoming the owner of the motor vehicle or trailer where the person complies with the prescribed requirements.

NOTE - S. 7(7) just refers to a properly registered vehicle.
Issuance of permits and number plates
(7) The Ministry may issue a permit of any prescribed class, number plates and evidence of validation to any person who meets the requirements of this Act and the regulations.

Not saying you will not get ticketed, but you will win in court (if you get caught riding with plate from your other bike ). But just get it done properly, less hassle.

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I guess you glossed over the italicized my. What Ted does is Ted's business. It doesn't affect me in the least.

When I bought the bike I have now it was an out of town bring your trailer situation. I had sold my car with the hitch on it, so I called up my buddy who I've been riding/racing/drinking/carousing and generally hanging out in our garages together for the last 45 years to drive me to get it with his car + trailer. While I was in the house doing weird estate paperwork with the previous owner's widow, he was out in the garage with her BF checking out the bike and gathering up all the spare parts. When we were loading it up he said to me "dude, you got a screaming deal. This thing is mint. Just get rid of all the goofy crap the guy put on it and fix the rat's nest (wiring)". Spent a few weeks sorting everything out and changing it over to SM trim. When it was almost done I called my buddy up. "It's going to be done mid next week and I'm gonna need the safety so I can get the ownership/sticker sorted out". "Read the VIN off to me and swing by the shop Saturday". Kinda pointless for him to come and trailer my bike to the shop to safety it then trailer it back when he'd been in my garage numerous times while I was working on it over the course of the what I'd done on it and knew exactly what he was signing off on.

That reminds me. I still haven't put a horn on it. Hope the MTO doesn't find out.
Yes, it's YOUR bike and YOUR friend who knows you etc., but as a LICENSED MECHANIC he's being negligent and putting his livelihood at risk.

I'm not going to list all the potentially disastrous "if's" that could happen, but worst case scenarios DO happen.

Thanks, Karen.

Back
Top Bottom