Who pays for the safety/certification | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who pays for the safety/certification

"11.1 (1) Every person who sells, offers for sale or transfers a used motor vehicle shall provide a valid used vehicle information package in respect of the vehicle for inspection by proposed purchasers or transferees and shall deliver the package to the purchaser or transferee at the time of sale or transfer of the vehicle. 1993, c. 13, s. 1."

"34.2 Fail to deliver valid information package at time vehicle transfer 11.1(1) $140.00"

The seller is legally required to provide the uvip. Often that doesn't happen, but technically that is an HTA violation. I always pull my own so I know it is legit. I don't do it often enough to spot fake UVIP's.
If you buy a bike and do your own UVIP when registering what if you find a lien on the bike and the seller has gone underground?

"Yeah, Joey is my wife's cousin's kid. He moved yesterday, somewhere out west. I'll let you know if I hear from him."

The safety is a judgement call but if your mechanic does it he reports to you, the rotors pass but only by one thou. If the seller has his mechanic do it the mechanic might be encouraged to let a marginal part pass.

If you buy a bike and do your own UVIP when registering what if you find a lien on the bike and the seller has gone underground?

"Yeah, Joey is my wife's cousin's kid. He moved yesterday, somewhere out west. I'll let you know if I hear from him."

The safety is a judgement call but if your mechanic does it he reports to you, the rotors pass but only by one thou. If the seller has his mechanic do it the mechanic might be encouraged to let a marginal part pass.
I pull the uvip before buying the bike. If the bike is close, I look at the bike, pull the vin, go get uvip and back to seller with cash. If the bike is far, when I explain why I want the vin, sellers have provided it as none of them had bought it anyway. Get uvip, then go see the bike.

Reactions: TK4
2 wrongs make a right ? Come on Peggy, try again.
There ain't 2 wrongs man, Ted Rosey does his job. The 3 essential things of a motorcycle safety check are brakes, tires and steering. The other stuff is peripherals you can take care of later. Ted even tells you, "Get it done you donkey, as soon as possible" ?. He is a no non-sense mechanic, just the way I like them. Fast and productive.

I remember this useless bike mechanic who is the owner (I presume by his attitude) of this bike shop at Rogers rd near Old Weston rd, I took my bike there and the conversation turned sour quickly. I went there so he could fix my motorcycle, it had lost power. The guy meets me outside and tells me he won't touch it until I go and power wash it, that it's too oily. I said to him "What kind of mechanic are you that you don't want to get your hands oily?". The guy says "Power wash it or take your bike away". I said; "I will take my bike away, I thought there were real mechanics here not office girls". Took my bike to Daytona Motor Sports on Steeles ave W/Pine Valley rd area.

There ain't 2 wrongs man, Ted Rosey does his job. The 3 essential things of a motorcycle safety check are brakes, tires and steering. The other stuff is peripherals you can take care of later.
Please don't break any forum rules or guidelines that would get you banned.
Posts like this are hilarious and great entertainment as long as no one takes them seriously.

Posts like this are hilarious and great entertainment as long as no one takes them seriously.
If only they published an easily accessible guide that listed things that were legally required to be checked during a safety :/ I don't know why it took them so many pages to state brakes, tires steering. Things like a throttle return spring are highly overrated, that is the simplest form of cruise control. (In case it wasn't obvious, lots of sarcasm on all of the above).

Wingboy, a cracked fender is part of the safety inspection? Or a dented gas tank? Please tell us man. I have bought cars that have been certified by dealerships themselves and they have overheated 2 hours later from a cracked manifold. When I got OMVIC involved they told me that safety inspections are just that, for safety on the road, not major engine flaws, and guess what? The dealership wasn't even warned.

Like the guy below you said, give us a list of what involves a safety inspection before you say you are going to ban people. I thought forums like this were to educate people? So educate me if I'm wrong man.

I know a dealer that will fail a safety if the footpeg feelers have any wear.
I wouldn't let Ted change the wind in my tires.

Wingboy, a cracked fender is part of the safety inspection? Or a dented gas tank? Please tell us man. I have bought cars that have been certified by dealerships themselves and they have overheated 2 hours later from a cracked manifold. When I got OMVIC involved they told me that safety inspections are just that, for safety on the road, not major engine flaws, and guess what? The dealership wasn't even warned.

Like the guy below you said, give us a list of what involves a safety inspection before you say you are going to ban people. I thought forums like this were to educate people? So educate me if I'm wrong man.
Why are you asking me? I am no more a certified mechanic than you are.

There ain't 2 wrongs man, Ted Rosey does his job. The 3 essential things of a motorcycle safety check are brakes, tires and steering. The other stuff is peripherals you can take care of later. Ted even tells you, "Get it done you donkey, as soon as possible" ?. He is a no non-sense mechanic, just the way I like them. Fast and productive.
If you have ever looked on the back of a motor vehicle fitness certificate there are something like 50 things that MUST be inspected and pass in order for the safety to be issued.
If these things are not being inspected, or are being overlooked the inspecting mechanic is negligent. She or he, and the inspection station owner (if it's a different person) can be held responsible if something related to that inspection goes wrong within the first 36 days.
You started talking about Ted, then jumped to car dealers - most of the same rules apply in both instances. Play by rules or take a chance on paying the price.

Last edited:

I apologize for the long post. Law of what is required for safety below.

SCHEDULE 6
INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS FOR MOTORCYCLES EXCEPT MOTORCYCLES WITH TWO FRONT WHEELS
BODY WORK

1. (1) The motorcycle shall have,

(a) where they were originally installed, securely mounted fenders, mudguards and operative footrests;

(b) every seat thereon securely mounted so as to maintain its position and adjustment; and

(c) every component thereof securely mounted and not interfering with the safe operation of the motorcycle.

(1.1) A motor tricycle shall not have more seating positions than it had when originally manufactured.

(1.2) A motor tricycle originally manufactured for sale in Canada shall not have more than two seating positions unless the motor tricycle,

(a) was originally manufactured with more than two seating positions; and

(b) bears the manufacturer’s compliance label issued under section 6 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada) specifying the type of vehicle as “TRI” for motor tricycle.

(1.3) An imported motor tricycle shall not have more than two seating positions unless the motor tricycle,

(a) was originally manufactured as a motor tricycle with more than two seating positions; and

(b) bears a compliance label or other label to prove conformity as provided for in section 12 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada).

(2) In the case of a motorcycle manufactured on or after the 1st day of September, 1974, the stand or stands shall automatically fold rearward and upward if the stand or stands contact the ground when the motorcycle is moving in a forward direction.

(3) No part of the motorcycle shall have a broken, bent or sharp edge that protrudes in such a way as to constitute a hazard to persons or vehicles.

(4) Every compartment door or cover shall,

(a) be securely attached;

(b) function properly; and

(c) be equipped with a lock, latch or spring device capable of holding it closed.

(5) No frame member shall, on a visual inspection, appear bent or cracked or have loose or missing connecting fasteners that may degrade the safety of the vehicle or jeopardize its handling characteristics.

(6) Where a frame component has been repaired, it shall have been repaired in a proper manner.

(7) No guard, where originally fitted, that protects against contact with the chain, belt or other moving drive component shall be missing or insecurely mounted.

(8) The chain, belt or driven sprocket shall not be excessively worn, frayed or loose and no fasteners in connection with those parts shall be missing, loose, cut or damaged.

(9) The motorcycle shall be fitted with the number of mirrors prescribed and,

(a) each mirror shall be securely mounted and maintain a set adjustment; and

(b) no mirror shall be cracked, broken or have any significant reduction in reflecting surface owing to deterioration of the silvering.

(9.1) A motor tricycle shall meet the requirements of clauses (9) (a) and (b) and shall be fitted with at least two mirrors that conform to the requirements set out in Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 111 under the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada).

(10) Where the motorcycle is fitted with a windshield,

(a) the windshield shall be secure in its attachment to the vehicle;

(b) the windshield shall not be crazed, clouded, fogged or damaged, so as to materially impair the operator’s vision;

(c) any manufacturer’s marking on the windshield shall be AS1, AS6 or AS10; and

(d) no material that obstructs the operator’s view of the highway or an intersecting highway shall be fitted on the windshield.

(11) The fuel system shall have,

(a) all required mountings and attachments secured;

(b) all required filler caps secured;

(c) no leakage; and

(d) fuel lines properly routed so as to not pose a potential safety hazard.

(12) The exhaust pipe, muffler and tail pipe shall be complete and securely mounted.

(13) No component of the exhaust system shall be so located as to cause charring or other heat damage to any wiring, fuel line, brake line or combustible material of the motorcycle.

BRAKES

2. (1) No hydraulic hose or tube shall be abraded, restricted, crimped, cracked, broken or be so located as to chafe against any part of the motorcycle or have damaged or missing clamps or supports.

(2) No hydraulic hose, tube, valve, switch or fitting shall show any indication of leakage.

(3) The hydraulic brake fluid level in any reservoir shall not be below the minimum level as specified by the manufacturer or, where no specification is available, no master cylinder shall be less than one-half full.

(4) In the case of a motorcycle equipped with hydraulic service brakes,

(a) the hydraulic master cylinder push rods shall be properly adjusted;

(b) each service brake pedal or lever shall be capable of sustaining the application of,

(i) moderate force for ten seconds without moving towards the applied position, and

(ii) heavy force without travelling more than 80 per cent of its available travel; and

(c) on a vehicle manufactured on or after the 1st day of July, 1981 equipped with a split service brake system, the red brake failure indicator light shall activate when,

(i) the ignition switch is turned from the “OFF” to the “ON” position and deactivate when the engine is started, or

(ii) the ignition switch is turned from the “OFF” to the “START” position and deactivate when the switch is turned to the “ON” position.

(4.1) A motorcycle shall be equipped with two independently actuated service brake systems, one applying at least the front wheel brakes and the other applying at least the rear wheel brakes, unless the motorcycle was manufactured solely with a split-service brake system, within the meaning of Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 122 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada), and the split-service brake system,

(a) met the requirements of that Standard at the time it was manufactured;

(b) has a single actuator; and

(c) has been maintained in its original condition.

(5) All mechanical components of the service and parking brake systems that are external to the wheel shall have no mechanical part misaligned, insecure, excessively worn, broken, binding, seized, missing, frayed or disconnected.

(5.1) In the case of a motor tricycle originally equipped with an anti-lock type braking system, there shall be no indication of malfunction of the system, including those parts of the system designed to advise the rider of system status or to warn of a malfunction.

(6) When moderate force is applied to a brake control, the travel shall not exceed 80 per cent of its available travel.

(7) With the service brakes properly adjusted, the service brake system shall be tested by stopping the motorcycle on a substantially level, dry, smooth, paved surface free from loose material and, from a rate of speed of not less than 30 kilometres per hour, with heavy pedal or, where applicable, heavy pedal and lever control force,

(a) the motorcycle shall come to a complete stop within seven metres;

(b) no component shall fail; and

(c) each wheel brake shall release immediately after the control force is removed.

(7.1) Every motor tricycle shall have a parking brake.

(8) With the parking brake properly adjusted, the parking brake shall be tested by fully applying the control and then releasing it and,

(a) the brake, while set in the fully applied position and not held by foot or hand force, shall hold the motorcycle stationary against the engine at a light throttle setting for a few seconds both in low forward gear and in reverse; and

(b) the brake shall fully release when the release control is operated.

(9) Each wheel on which a brake assembly operates shall be rotated and, while rotating, the brake shall be applied, and if there is an audible or visible indication that a defect may exist that cannot be rectified except by removal of the brake drum or other component, that drum or component shall be removed.

(10) In respect of a foundation brake assembly, where a brake drum or component has been removed under subsection (9), and in all other instances where the matters set out in clauses (a) to (p) can be determined without demounting a wheel,

(a) no mechanical or structural part of the assembly shall be misaligned, badly worn, excessively scored, cracked, broken, binding, seized, disconnected or insecure;

(b) no grease retainer shall be missing or leaking;

(c) no bonded lining shall be thinner than 1.5 millimetres when measured at the thinnest part;

(d) no riveted lining surface shall be closer to the rivet head than the dimension specified by the vehicle manufacturer and in no case shall it be less than 0.8 millimetres;

(e) no lining of a disc brake assembly shall be worn to the extent that a wear indicator is in contact with the rotor;

(f) no brake lining shall be broken or loose on its pad or shoe;

(g) no brake lining shall show evidence of contamination that would affect braking performance;

(h) no hydraulic brake cylinder shall show evidence of leakage;

(i) no hydraulic brake piston shall fail to move when moderate pressure is applied to the brake control;

(j) all brakes shall be adjusted for minimum lining-to-drum clearance without brake drag;

(k) no inside diameter of a drum shall be greater than the dimension stamped on the drum, or where the dimension is not stamped on the drum, the vehicle manufacturer’s wear limit;

(l) no thickness of a rotor shall be less than the dimension stamped on the rotor, or where the dimension is not stamped on the rotor, the motorcycle manufacturer’s wear limit;

(m) no ventilated disc shall have broken or visibly cracked cooling fins;

(n) no drum or rotor shall have any external crack or cracks on the friction surface, other than normal heat-check cracks, that reach the edge of the drum bore or periphery of the disc;

(o) no drum or rotor shall have any mechanical damage to the friction surface, other than that attributable to normal wear; and

(p) in the case of a motor tricycle originally equipped with wheel speed sensors or similar devices, no wheel speed sensor or similar device shall be missing, excessively worn or damaged.

ENGINE CONTROLS AND STEERING

3. (1) The complete throttle control system shall be inspected and tested while the engine is running and the motorcycle is stationary with the transmission in neutral and,

(a) the engine speed shall drop to idle when a spring return throttle control is released;

(b) where the motorcycle was originally equipped with a supplemental engine stopping device, the engine shall stop from idle and remain stopped when the control is actuated;

(c) the engine speed shall not change with the movement of the steering from lock to lock; and

(d) in the case of a motor tricycle originally fitted with an electronic stability control system, such system shall not be missing and there shall be no indication of a malfunction in the system.

(2) No part of the steering system shall be bent, broken, loose, worn or have any missing parts that could jeopardize the safe handling of the vehicle and,

(a) the steering column shall not be loose in its mounting to the frame;

(b) all required bolts and nuts shall be securely in place;

(c) no steering head bearing shall give indication of excessive wear or damage when the steering is rotated from lock to lock nor shall it be maladjusted so as to result in excessive play or binding;

(d) the handlebar shall not be loose or damaged in such a way as to interfere with the safe operation of the motorcycle; and

(e) no part of the handlebar shall exceed a height of 380 millimetres above the uppermost portion of the operator’s seat when the seat is depressed by the weight of the operator.

SUSPENSION, WHEELS AND TIRES

4. (1) Front and rear springs, shock-absorbers, swing arms, their supports and attachments shall not be loose, bent, cracked, broken, excessively worn, disconnected or missing.

(2) The swing arm and forks of the motorcycle shall be visually inspected for proper alignment and the wheels shall not track improperly so as to adversely affect control of the vehicle.

(3) Each tire shall be inspected for depth of tread, tread and sidewall defects, regrooving, proper size and application, and,

(a) no tire shall be worn to the extent that in any major groove at three equally spaced intervals around the circumference of the tire,

(i) the tread wear indicators contact the road, or

(ii) less than 1.5 millimetres of tread depth remains;

(b) no tire shall have exposed cord;

(c) no tire shall have tread or sidewall cuts or snags deep enough to expose the cords;

(d) no tire shall have any abnormal visible bump, bulge or knot;

(e) no tire shall have been regrooved or recut below the original new tire groove depth;

(f) no tire shall be of a smaller size than the motorcycle manufacturer’s specified minimum size or be sufficiently oversized as to contact any vehicle component so as to affect the safe operation of the vehicle; and

(g) no vehicle shall be fitted with a tire that,

(i) bears the wording “not for highway use”, “farm use only”, “competition circuit use only” or any other wording or lettering indicating that the tire was not designed for highway use, or

(ii) bears the letters “SL”, “NHS” or “TG” after the tire designation.

(4) Wheel bearings shall be tested by rotating each wheel and no wheel bearing shall,

(a) give any indication of excessive wear or damage; or

(b) be maladjusted so as to result in excessive play or binding.

(5) No wheel assembly fastener shall be loose, missing, damaged, broken, mismatched or have insufficient thread engagement.

(6) No wheel shall have any visible crack, elongated bolt hole, indication of repair by welding, or be so bent or damaged as to affect the safe operation of the motorcycle.

(7) No wheel spoke shall be missing, broken or visibly loose.

ELECTRICAL

5. (1) The horn shall be secure on its mounting and shall function as intended.

(2) The neutral safety starting switch, if originally fitted, shall not have been removed and shall function as prescribed by the manufacturer and the neutral indicator light shall operate only in neutral.

LIGHTING

6. (1) Prescribed lamps and reflectors shall be inspected and tested and,

(a) each circuit shall light the filaments of all lamps on the circuit when the appropriate switch is in the “ON” position, and each indicator lamp shall indicate correctly;

(b) the operation of any lighting circuit shall not interfere with the operation of any other circuit;

(c) each lens and reflex reflector shall be correctly installed and shall not be discoloured or missing in whole or in part;

(d) each lamp and reflector shall be securely mounted on the vehicle and none shall be missing;

(e) the turn signal lamps and the flasher unit shall operate properly;

(f) the brake light shall operate when the appropriate control is actuated;

(g) no headlamp shall be coated or covered with a coloured material except as permitted by section 4.1 of Regulation 596 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990;

(h) no headlamp shall be modified so that the effective area of the lens or brightness of the light is reduced;

(i) each headlamp shutter or retracting headlamp shall operate over the full range of movement or shall be secured in the fully open position; and

(j) no lens or lamp assembly shall bear markings that indicate “not for highway use” or a similar meaning.

(2) The headlamp, tail lamp and licence plate lamp on a motorcycle manufactured on or after the 1st day of January, 1975 shall be continuously illuminated when the engine is operating and each forward gear is engaged.

(3) The headlamp and dimmer switch shall be inspected and tested and, on a level surface after any noticeably deflated tires have been properly inflated, the headlamp alignment of the upper beam shall be inspected with a person seated on the operator’s seat and the front forks in the straight ahead position and,

(a) the headlamp shall be secure and the lens shall not be cracked or broken;

(b) the dimmer switch shall be operative; and

(c) the centre of the high-intensity zone of the beam shall be,

(i) not more than 100 millimetres above nor more than 100 millimetres below the horizontal centre-line of the lamp, and

(ii) not more than 200 millimetres to the left nor more than 200 millimetres to the right of the vertical centre-line of the lamp,

as measured on a screen placed eight metres in front of the lamp or by means of a headlamp testing machine.

(4) In addition to the lights and reflectors required to be inspected under this section, a motor tricycle shall be equipped with,

(a) two white or amber parking lamps or reflectors facing forward placed at the widest part of the vehicle, as far apart as practical, to indicate width; and

(b) two red reflectors facing rearwards placed at the widest part of the vehicle, as far apart as practical, to indicate width.

(5) The lamps and reflectors referred to in clauses (4) (a) and (b) shall be inspected and tested in accordance with subsection (1).

(6) Section 8 of Schedule 6.1, rather than this section, applies to a motor tricycle bearing a manufacturer’s compliance label issued under section 6 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada) specifying the type of vehicle as “TRI” for motor tricycle.

R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 611, Sched. 6; O. Reg. 214/03, s. 2; O. Reg. 114/08, ss. 4-7.

I literally just came from reading that, from the website. So cracked mudguards can fail a motorcycle safety? ?

Guys, c'mon look at those 100 lines of inspection points, do you really think a safety mechanic checks all of that when he has a full garage of customers and 20 bikes waiting for him. Yeah okay.

I literally just came from reading that, from the website. So cracked mudguards can fail a motorcycle safety? ?

Guys, c'mon look at those 100 lines of inspection points, do you really think a safety mechanic checks all of that when he has a full garage of customers and 20 bikes waiting for him. Yeah okay.
A responsible and diligent one does. You're in over your head Peggy, give it up.

The buyer. Who told you it was the seller? Even in used car lots when they offer the safety themselves it's a $500 standard price they tell you to pay. I remember one time this car salesman telling me there was nothing wrong with the used car I was buying, that it would pass the safety with no issues. I then asked if they offered it. He said yes. I told him to do it for me. He asked for $500 (just like the other car lots). I asked him why so much, he said if they have to change the brakes or things they will be losing. Then I told him why he lied to me 5 mins earlier that the car will pass with flying colors.

I got a friend who is a car mechanic and I take my vehicles to him. I can't trust any other mechanic, they are not there to pass your car, they are there to make money. Even if you don't need brakes they will tell you need brakes at back and front, there goes $600 dollars. My friend is the only one that is trustworthy, and when he tells me I need brakes it's because I really need brakes. In the case of motorcycles I take it to Rosey Teds, but because he is in the business of selling used tired he will surely make you buy one from him even if the one he is selling is as worn as the one you already have.
You’re dealing with horse traders, lots that buy and sell crap that good dealers don’t want. Legitimate car dealers safety their cars.

I apologize for the long post. Law of what is required for safety below.

SCHEDULE 6
INSPECTION REQUIREMENTS AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS FOR MOTORCYCLES EXCEPT MOTORCYCLES WITH TWO FRONT WHEELS
BODY WORK

1. (1) The motorcycle shall have,

(a) where they were originally installed, securely mounted fenders, mudguards and operative footrests;

(b) every seat thereon securely mounted so as to maintain its position and adjustment; and

(c) every component thereof securely mounted and not interfering with the safe operation of the motorcycle.

(1.1) A motor tricycle shall not have more seating positions than it had when originally manufactured.

(1.2) A motor tricycle originally manufactured for sale in Canada shall not have more than two seating positions unless the motor tricycle,

(a) was originally manufactured with more than two seating positions; and

(b) bears the manufacturer’s compliance label issued under section 6 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada) specifying the type of vehicle as “TRI” for motor tricycle.

(1.3) An imported motor tricycle shall not have more than two seating positions unless the motor tricycle,

(a) was originally manufactured as a motor tricycle with more than two seating positions; and

(b) bears a compliance label or other label to prove conformity as provided for in section 12 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada).

(2) In the case of a motorcycle manufactured on or after the 1st day of September, 1974, the stand or stands shall automatically fold rearward and upward if the stand or stands contact the ground when the motorcycle is moving in a forward direction.

(3) No part of the motorcycle shall have a broken, bent or sharp edge that protrudes in such a way as to constitute a hazard to persons or vehicles.

(4) Every compartment door or cover shall,

(a) be securely attached;

(b) function properly; and

(c) be equipped with a lock, latch or spring device capable of holding it closed.

(5) No frame member shall, on a visual inspection, appear bent or cracked or have loose or missing connecting fasteners that may degrade the safety of the vehicle or jeopardize its handling characteristics.

(6) Where a frame component has been repaired, it shall have been repaired in a proper manner.

(7) No guard, where originally fitted, that protects against contact with the chain, belt or other moving drive component shall be missing or insecurely mounted.

(8) The chain, belt or driven sprocket shall not be excessively worn, frayed or loose and no fasteners in connection with those parts shall be missing, loose, cut or damaged.

(9) The motorcycle shall be fitted with the number of mirrors prescribed and,

(a) each mirror shall be securely mounted and maintain a set adjustment; and

(b) no mirror shall be cracked, broken or have any significant reduction in reflecting surface owing to deterioration of the silvering.

(9.1) A motor tricycle shall meet the requirements of clauses (9) (a) and (b) and shall be fitted with at least two mirrors that conform to the requirements set out in Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 111 under the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada).

(10) Where the motorcycle is fitted with a windshield,

(a) the windshield shall be secure in its attachment to the vehicle;

(b) the windshield shall not be crazed, clouded, fogged or damaged, so as to materially impair the operator’s vision;

(c) any manufacturer’s marking on the windshield shall be AS1, AS6 or AS10; and

(d) no material that obstructs the operator’s view of the highway or an intersecting highway shall be fitted on the windshield.

(11) The fuel system shall have,

(a) all required mountings and attachments secured;

(b) all required filler caps secured;

(c) no leakage; and

(d) fuel lines properly routed so as to not pose a potential safety hazard.

(12) The exhaust pipe, muffler and tail pipe shall be complete and securely mounted.

(13) No component of the exhaust system shall be so located as to cause charring or other heat damage to any wiring, fuel line, brake line or combustible material of the motorcycle.

BRAKES

2. (1) No hydraulic hose or tube shall be abraded, restricted, crimped, cracked, broken or be so located as to chafe against any part of the motorcycle or have damaged or missing clamps or supports.

(2) No hydraulic hose, tube, valve, switch or fitting shall show any indication of leakage.

(3) The hydraulic brake fluid level in any reservoir shall not be below the minimum level as specified by the manufacturer or, where no specification is available, no master cylinder shall be less than one-half full.

(4) In the case of a motorcycle equipped with hydraulic service brakes,

(a) the hydraulic master cylinder push rods shall be properly adjusted;

(b) each service brake pedal or lever shall be capable of sustaining the application of,

(i) moderate force for ten seconds without moving towards the applied position, and

(ii) heavy force without travelling more than 80 per cent of its available travel; and

(c) on a vehicle manufactured on or after the 1st day of July, 1981 equipped with a split service brake system, the red brake failure indicator light shall activate when,

(i) the ignition switch is turned from the “OFF” to the “ON” position and deactivate when the engine is started, or

(ii) the ignition switch is turned from the “OFF” to the “START” position and deactivate when the switch is turned to the “ON” position.

(4.1) A motorcycle shall be equipped with two independently actuated service brake systems, one applying at least the front wheel brakes and the other applying at least the rear wheel brakes, unless the motorcycle was manufactured solely with a split-service brake system, within the meaning of Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 122 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada), and the split-service brake system,

(a) met the requirements of that Standard at the time it was manufactured;

(b) has a single actuator; and

(c) has been maintained in its original condition.

(5) All mechanical components of the service and parking brake systems that are external to the wheel shall have no mechanical part misaligned, insecure, excessively worn, broken, binding, seized, missing, frayed or disconnected.

(5.1) In the case of a motor tricycle originally equipped with an anti-lock type braking system, there shall be no indication of malfunction of the system, including those parts of the system designed to advise the rider of system status or to warn of a malfunction.

(6) When moderate force is applied to a brake control, the travel shall not exceed 80 per cent of its available travel.

(7) With the service brakes properly adjusted, the service brake system shall be tested by stopping the motorcycle on a substantially level, dry, smooth, paved surface free from loose material and, from a rate of speed of not less than 30 kilometres per hour, with heavy pedal or, where applicable, heavy pedal and lever control force,

(a) the motorcycle shall come to a complete stop within seven metres;

(b) no component shall fail; and

(c) each wheel brake shall release immediately after the control force is removed.

(7.1) Every motor tricycle shall have a parking brake.

(8) With the parking brake properly adjusted, the parking brake shall be tested by fully applying the control and then releasing it and,

(a) the brake, while set in the fully applied position and not held by foot or hand force, shall hold the motorcycle stationary against the engine at a light throttle setting for a few seconds both in low forward gear and in reverse; and

(b) the brake shall fully release when the release control is operated.

(9) Each wheel on which a brake assembly operates shall be rotated and, while rotating, the brake shall be applied, and if there is an audible or visible indication that a defect may exist that cannot be rectified except by removal of the brake drum or other component, that drum or component shall be removed.

(10) In respect of a foundation brake assembly, where a brake drum or component has been removed under subsection (9), and in all other instances where the matters set out in clauses (a) to (p) can be determined without demounting a wheel,

(a) no mechanical or structural part of the assembly shall be misaligned, badly worn, excessively scored, cracked, broken, binding, seized, disconnected or insecure;

(b) no grease retainer shall be missing or leaking;

(c) no bonded lining shall be thinner than 1.5 millimetres when measured at the thinnest part;

(d) no riveted lining surface shall be closer to the rivet head than the dimension specified by the vehicle manufacturer and in no case shall it be less than 0.8 millimetres;

(e) no lining of a disc brake assembly shall be worn to the extent that a wear indicator is in contact with the rotor;

(f) no brake lining shall be broken or loose on its pad or shoe;

(g) no brake lining shall show evidence of contamination that would affect braking performance;

(h) no hydraulic brake cylinder shall show evidence of leakage;

(i) no hydraulic brake piston shall fail to move when moderate pressure is applied to the brake control;

(j) all brakes shall be adjusted for minimum lining-to-drum clearance without brake drag;

(k) no inside diameter of a drum shall be greater than the dimension stamped on the drum, or where the dimension is not stamped on the drum, the vehicle manufacturer’s wear limit;

(l) no thickness of a rotor shall be less than the dimension stamped on the rotor, or where the dimension is not stamped on the rotor, the motorcycle manufacturer’s wear limit;

(m) no ventilated disc shall have broken or visibly cracked cooling fins;

(n) no drum or rotor shall have any external crack or cracks on the friction surface, other than normal heat-check cracks, that reach the edge of the drum bore or periphery of the disc;

(o) no drum or rotor shall have any mechanical damage to the friction surface, other than that attributable to normal wear; and

(p) in the case of a motor tricycle originally equipped with wheel speed sensors or similar devices, no wheel speed sensor or similar device shall be missing, excessively worn or damaged.

ENGINE CONTROLS AND STEERING

3. (1) The complete throttle control system shall be inspected and tested while the engine is running and the motorcycle is stationary with the transmission in neutral and,

(a) the engine speed shall drop to idle when a spring return throttle control is released;

(b) where the motorcycle was originally equipped with a supplemental engine stopping device, the engine shall stop from idle and remain stopped when the control is actuated;

(c) the engine speed shall not change with the movement of the steering from lock to lock; and

(d) in the case of a motor tricycle originally fitted with an electronic stability control system, such system shall not be missing and there shall be no indication of a malfunction in the system.

(2) No part of the steering system shall be bent, broken, loose, worn or have any missing parts that could jeopardize the safe handling of the vehicle and,

(a) the steering column shall not be loose in its mounting to the frame;

(b) all required bolts and nuts shall be securely in place;

(c) no steering head bearing shall give indication of excessive wear or damage when the steering is rotated from lock to lock nor shall it be maladjusted so as to result in excessive play or binding;

(d) the handlebar shall not be loose or damaged in such a way as to interfere with the safe operation of the motorcycle; and

(e) no part of the handlebar shall exceed a height of 380 millimetres above the uppermost portion of the operator’s seat when the seat is depressed by the weight of the operator.

SUSPENSION, WHEELS AND TIRES

4. (1) Front and rear springs, shock-absorbers, swing arms, their supports and attachments shall not be loose, bent, cracked, broken, excessively worn, disconnected or missing.

(2) The swing arm and forks of the motorcycle shall be visually inspected for proper alignment and the wheels shall not track improperly so as to adversely affect control of the vehicle.

(3) Each tire shall be inspected for depth of tread, tread and sidewall defects, regrooving, proper size and application, and,

(a) no tire shall be worn to the extent that in any major groove at three equally spaced intervals around the circumference of the tire,

(i) the tread wear indicators contact the road, or

(ii) less than 1.5 millimetres of tread depth remains;

(b) no tire shall have exposed cord;

(c) no tire shall have tread or sidewall cuts or snags deep enough to expose the cords;

(d) no tire shall have any abnormal visible bump, bulge or knot;

(e) no tire shall have been regrooved or recut below the original new tire groove depth;

(f) no tire shall be of a smaller size than the motorcycle manufacturer’s specified minimum size or be sufficiently oversized as to contact any vehicle component so as to affect the safe operation of the vehicle; and

(g) no vehicle shall be fitted with a tire that,

(i) bears the wording “not for highway use”, “farm use only”, “competition circuit use only” or any other wording or lettering indicating that the tire was not designed for highway use, or

(ii) bears the letters “SL”, “NHS” or “TG” after the tire designation.

(4) Wheel bearings shall be tested by rotating each wheel and no wheel bearing shall,

(a) give any indication of excessive wear or damage; or

(b) be maladjusted so as to result in excessive play or binding.

(5) No wheel assembly fastener shall be loose, missing, damaged, broken, mismatched or have insufficient thread engagement.

(6) No wheel shall have any visible crack, elongated bolt hole, indication of repair by welding, or be so bent or damaged as to affect the safe operation of the motorcycle.

(7) No wheel spoke shall be missing, broken or visibly loose.

ELECTRICAL

5. (1) The horn shall be secure on its mounting and shall function as intended.

(2) The neutral safety starting switch, if originally fitted, shall not have been removed and shall function as prescribed by the manufacturer and the neutral indicator light shall operate only in neutral.

LIGHTING

6. (1) Prescribed lamps and reflectors shall be inspected and tested and,

(a) each circuit shall light the filaments of all lamps on the circuit when the appropriate switch is in the “ON” position, and each indicator lamp shall indicate correctly;

(b) the operation of any lighting circuit shall not interfere with the operation of any other circuit;

(c) each lens and reflex reflector shall be correctly installed and shall not be discoloured or missing in whole or in part;

(d) each lamp and reflector shall be securely mounted on the vehicle and none shall be missing;

(e) the turn signal lamps and the flasher unit shall operate properly;

(f) the brake light shall operate when the appropriate control is actuated;

(g) no headlamp shall be coated or covered with a coloured material except as permitted by section 4.1 of Regulation 596 of the Revised Regulations of Ontario, 1990;

(h) no headlamp shall be modified so that the effective area of the lens or brightness of the light is reduced;

(i) each headlamp shutter or retracting headlamp shall operate over the full range of movement or shall be secured in the fully open position; and

(j) no lens or lamp assembly shall bear markings that indicate “not for highway use” or a similar meaning.

(2) The headlamp, tail lamp and licence plate lamp on a motorcycle manufactured on or after the 1st day of January, 1975 shall be continuously illuminated when the engine is operating and each forward gear is engaged.

(3) The headlamp and dimmer switch shall be inspected and tested and, on a level surface after any noticeably deflated tires have been properly inflated, the headlamp alignment of the upper beam shall be inspected with a person seated on the operator’s seat and the front forks in the straight ahead position and,

(a) the headlamp shall be secure and the lens shall not be cracked or broken;

(b) the dimmer switch shall be operative; and

(c) the centre of the high-intensity zone of the beam shall be,

(i) not more than 100 millimetres above nor more than 100 millimetres below the horizontal centre-line of the lamp, and

(ii) not more than 200 millimetres to the left nor more than 200 millimetres to the right of the vertical centre-line of the lamp,

as measured on a screen placed eight metres in front of the lamp or by means of a headlamp testing machine.

(4) In addition to the lights and reflectors required to be inspected under this section, a motor tricycle shall be equipped with,

(a) two white or amber parking lamps or reflectors facing forward placed at the widest part of the vehicle, as far apart as practical, to indicate width; and

(b) two red reflectors facing rearwards placed at the widest part of the vehicle, as far apart as practical, to indicate width.

(5) The lamps and reflectors referred to in clauses (4) (a) and (b) shall be inspected and tested in accordance with subsection (1).

(6) Section 8 of Schedule 6.1, rather than this section, applies to a motor tricycle bearing a manufacturer’s compliance label issued under section 6 of the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (Canada) specifying the type of vehicle as “TRI” for motor tricycle.

R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 611, Sched. 6; O. Reg. 214/03, s. 2; O. Reg. 114/08, ss. 4-7.

But I bought a couple cars that broke down after so that’s not true

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

A safety is not an evaluation of the mechanical condition of the vehicle. It is very simply a minimal standard for safe operation on ontario roads. It is the responsibility of the owner to maintain this. All of the standards revolve around the standards imposed on the manufacturer at the time of manufacturing. They must conform to the safety standards in order for the vehicle to be sold as new in Ontario.

A safety certification on a used vehicle means that it passed the minimal standard at time of inspection. Not that it will be that way for any length of time. The MTO allows 36 days for the certification to be valid for administrative purposes.

He is a no non-sense mechanic, just the way I like them. Fast and productive.

Good, Fast, or Cheap. Pick 2.

A crappy mechanic is fast and cheap, but not good.

You don't seem to understand the whole purpose behind a safety inspection....it's to actually check that said vehicle is safe, not to just check that 2 or 3 things kinda function, things that are threatening to fall off are duct taped or zip tied, and just ignore the rest.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom