Who here wears an air-bag jacket/vest as im looking for advice on buying one | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who here wears an air-bag jacket/vest as im looking for advice on buying one

But like I said before Helite hiviz vented jacket looks very nice.. I more and more think that it can be ok to have it tethered especially considering recharging cost..
its caught my eye.

how often are you guys crashing on the street that repacking cost is a concern??
lol, I hope never : ) but I actually would like to test the airbag system. If it's $50 to recharge it then I would probable test it out just to see how it feels..

On the other side, I don't like that some brands require send the jacket/vest back to them in order to recharge it. Want more money for a recharge, just sell the cartridges for e.g. $150. But I don't want to send the jacket to US and then wait all that time to get it back..

how often are you guys crashing on the street that repacking cost is a concern??

none. they're just looking to nitpick and pick at any and every possible trivial thing and just find ways for "but i dont like it because _____________"

none. they're just looking to nitpick and pick at any and every possible trivial thing and just find ways for "but i dont like it because _____________"
So where do you draw the line on having an opinion? If you just made a blanket statement about not liking something odds are someone would ask what you don't like about it.

I bought a spare gas cartridge for mine just in case. I kind of like the tether. Less things to go wrong. Seriously though, if you can agree on a manufacturer work out a group deal. These things aren’t cheap and I bet a dealer would be happy to sell 5 + of these things in a go.

So where do you draw the line on having an opinion? If you just made a blanket statement about not liking something odds are someone would ask what you don't like about it.
This is the internet, say what you want and disregard any hurt feelings (within reason).
I like this tech, just feel like I'll wait for the 3rd generation tech to iron out the bugs and come at a more affordable price level.

That or wait for a Chinese company like xiaomi to come with their version at 50% the price of current offerings.

update for those of u interested besides me

it appears the electronic helite vest has not been released yet in usa or canada. only in germany and some other european countries.

supposedly supposed to be released in august-september in north america. cost will be about $900cad

Thanks for the update and very interested and I know at least 2 friends waiting for the electronic Helite.

Unfortunately COVID shutdowns impacted the launch of many airbag vests including those mentioned already.

The 2 other units I am interested are the Klim and Alpinestars Tech Air 5 as they are worn on the inside. Both are currently out of stock.

Last edited:
After looking at options and trying a bunch of things I bought the d-air vest. Less protective possibly but the weight and ventilation were the deciders also the fact the there is no hard shell built in. I can see actually see myself wearing this when the others would sit on the shelf.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

After looking at options and trying a bunch of things I bought the d-air vest. Less protective possibly but the weight and ventilation were the deciders also the fact the there is no hard shell built in. I can see actually see myself wearing this when the others would sit on the shelf.

Sent from my KFONWI using Tapatalk

Guess that beats riding around with a shelf on your back
Lol.

The newer Alpinestars air bag looks more comfortable.
FAST FORWARD TO 14:07 IN THE VIDEO FOR A LOOK

Love all the goodies the MotoGP, 2 and 3 bikes have!

I got the dainese smart jacket (vest). I don't notice it much while on the bike. Ventilation is decent. Kreiga R25 backpack doesn't work well with it but I usually ride with my R15. Worth the hassle in my opinion. Battery life is pretty good. I wear my Merlin hoody or Dainese MIG jacket over top.

I'd be interested in a group buy, if we can get one going!

Do y'all think it's worth investing in for someone like me, who owns a smaller R3, and doesn't do track days? I mostly ride local rode's so my speed isn't too high..but I feel like this would be nice to have?

Thoughts?

I'd be interested in a group buy, if we can get one going!

Do y'all think it's worth investing in for someone like me, who owns a smaller R3, and doesn't do track days? I mostly ride local rode's so my speed isn't too high..but I feel like this would be nice to have?

Thoughts?
In a really high speed crash (or more correctly in an event with a rapid change in speed), even the best gear can't work miracles. Most gear mitigates injuries at moderate speed. These airbags seem like they might help riders in the far too common left-turning vehicle crash.

The Dainese smart jacket and A* tech 5 are both for the street. Obviously will help prevent injuries if worn. Another layer of gear is not ideal in the hot heat. Neither are cheap. I would say buy a really good helmet first before spending money on an airbag.

The Dainese smart jacket and A* tech 5 are both for the street. Obviously will help prevent injuries if worn. Another layer of gear is not ideal in the hot heat. Neither are cheap. I would say buy a really good helmet first before spending money on an airbag.
There isn't much difference in protection between full face helmets regardless of price some cheap ones are actually more protective. I bought the air bag vest as I think it could make a major survivability difference in a lot of crashes I have had 2 friends die from massive internal injuries and think these possibly could have saved both of them. In both accidents the riders were talking after the accident and died in the ambulance.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

There isn't much difference in protection between full face helmets regardless of price some cheap ones are actually more protective. I bought the air bag vest as I think it could make a major survivability difference in a lot of crashes I have had 2 friends die from massive internal injuries and think these possibly could have saved both of them. In both accidents the riders were talking after the accident and died in the ambulance.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk

Every little helps.

The airbags help with a few things depending on model:

1. help prevent hyperextension of neck and a little/lot more protection for the neck area
2. protection for major organs from impact
3. extra padding generally on a fall
4. high vis ones add conspicuity
5. gives me (and my wife) a little more confidence/ease of mind generally when I'm wearing one

That's worth the minor discomfort of wearing one for me.

In a really high speed crash (or more correctly in an event with a rapid change in speed), even the best gear can't work miracles. Most gear mitigates injuries at moderate speed. These airbags seem like they might help riders in the far too common left-turning vehicle crash.

this is not true at all lol. saw a video the other day of a guy doing 200km+ and wasn't wearing a helmet. he claims theres no point of him wearing a helmet at that speed as it wont help -- was that you?

you can go see guys doing over 200km in motogp that crash with full gear and walk away. theres also a video of a female rider who was going about 200km and had a full crash and basically walked away. imagine that without a helmet, she'd either be dead or brain-dead for the remainder of her life.

gear and a helmet will make a huge difference in any crash, including a high speed crash. your logic if it were just your logic i wouldn't care about, as you would only be killing/injuring yourself and thats your business... but you're here on a public forum all but encouraging ppl to not wear helmets and gear... basically insinuating that its pointless at high speeds. lol.

Back
Top Bottom