Who here wears an air-bag jacket/vest as im looking for advice on buying one | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who here wears an air-bag jacket/vest as im looking for advice on buying one

Phalanx

im trying to research and narrow it down to which one i'm going to purchase. I don't like the dainese or whatever one or the alpinestars one because they have no neck support which to me is ridiculous, and i don't really wanna break or injure my neck

It's always amusing to me that everyone and their grandmother after buying a bike gets a new 'cool' exhaust for like $1200 but start crying and whining when it comes to purchasing an air-bag vest for like $350-$900. So surprised that these aren't more common, and that most riders or regular people don't even know they exist

looking at ht-air ca right now or Helite.com

for those of you who know them or wear them which do you recommend to stick with and which to stay away from, as from what i know they now have electronic ones that don't require the pin to be attached to the bike

I had a small mishap last year whilst wearing an inflated jacket. (Car hit me) Jacket did it`s job. The funniest part was when I tried to get up. As the jacket had inflated I was like a bouncy man. Rocking and very difficult to get up immediately. When I explained to the lovely young Lady that stopped to help me. I said the wrong words. That my jacket exploded. She went white and stepped away very quickly. was sort of a funny Benny Hill moment.
Got a replacement from Mike in Burlington. Great service. Highly visible in the yellow fluorescent/ Which matches one on my jackets.
The one that is not attached to the bike is a different kettle of fish. Google it.
With the model I have now, when it goes off I insert another 0`2 chamber and instantly good to go..

Hope this helps.

I got the Hi Vis e turtle vest.

I had a small mishap last year whilst wearing an inflated jacket. (Car hit me) Jacket did it`s job. The funniest part was when I tried to get up. As the jacket had inflated I was like a bouncy man. Rocking and very difficult to get up immediately. When I explained to the lovely young Lady that stopped to help me. I said the wrong words. That my jacket exploded. She went white and stepped away very quickly. was sort of a funny Benny Hill moment.
Got a replacement from Mike in Burlington. Great service. Highly visible in the yellow fluorescent/ Which matches one on my jackets.
The one that is not attached to the bike is a different kettle of fish. Google it.
With the model I have now, when it goes off I insert another 0`2 chamber and instantly good to go..

Hope this helps.

I got the Hi Vis e turtle vest.

????

They're amazing aren't they?

how much and where did u buy it from? do u still use it?

for the manual attached ones, what happens if a car hits u or u crash, and the wire doesn't disconnect due to not enough force. does the vest still go off?

the dianese ones are cool , but for the life of me, i cant figure out why they decided to not add neck protection? and hip protection near the tail bone

So, dare i ask what happens if you forget to detach and walk away from the bike?

I was thinking the same thing.

there may not be enough "jolt" when just walking away and it may not explode

But I'm curious to hear a more technical explanation.

been using them at the track for the past 3 years, crash tested both the hit air and A-star.

Hit air pros:
- cheap
- easy and cheap to recharge after you crash
cons:
- tether must detach in order to activate, so if you are sliding with the bike it will not do much for you
- mine ripped when I hit the ground and the inner tube got damaged

A-star pros:
- gives the most protection (area) out of all systems as far as I know
- you get 2 charges (in track mode) before you have to get it repacked
cons:
- initial cost
- cost of service
- needs to be sent to the states to get repacked

So, dare i ask what happens if you forget to detach and walk away from the bike?

nothing would happen. they have specifically designed it so that walking away doesnt trigger it. you'd have to pull super hard on it, imagine pulling a pulley to start a lawn mower thats old and it wont start on the first 2-3 pulls. theres videos of them showing how it would work.

if you got off the bike and walked away it would tug at you and wouldn't deploy

been using them at the track for the past 3 years, crash tested both the hit air and A-star.

Hit air pros:
- cheap
- easy and cheap to recharge after you crash
cons:
- tether must detach in order to activate, so if you are sliding with the bike it will not do much for you
- mine ripped when I hit the ground and the inner tube got damaged

A-star pros:
- gives the most protection (area) out of all systems as far as I know
- you get 2 charges (in track mode) before you have to get it repacked
cons:
- initial cost
- cost of service
- needs to be sent to the states to get repacked

so did the hit air help u or protect u in any way?when u say cheap do you mean cheap as in the costs to purchase it are cheap, or cheap as in the actual product is cheap materials and quality?

but how can astar give most protection area? it doesn't have any neck protection, and doesnt give any lower torso protection, as well, no hip or lower tailbone/spine protection... Helite now is offering electronic ones, u think i should go for that one over the manual pulley system one?

you just feel really silly....

I've done it a few times....you feel the tug and then have a “doh” moment. It doesn’t go off that way. Now...falling off the bike while stationary is a different matter...not done that either though.

So...here‘s a big plus for these vests/jackets. Safety gear sails past your partner way easier than many other things. My wife didn’t blink and was all for it!

The vests are heavy but it’s weight I only feel off the bike. Once on they are fine. I have a really good feeling of extra security when riding with mine.

????

They're amazing aren't they?

how much and where did u buy it from? do u still use it?

I bought it from Mike in Burlington. I have his site on my earlier post.

Yes, I use it all the time. Even in this heat. Has become a habit to hook it up to the loop. It is now part of my post check. Click and it`s done. simple.
Watch, wallet, balls air bag. Lol.

for the manual attached ones, what happens if a car hits u or u crash, and the wire doesn't disconnect due to not enough force. does the vest still go off?

the dianese ones are cool , but for the life of me, i cant figure out why they decided to not add neck protection? and hip protection near the tail bone

I have had a few occasions when I went to get off the bike. Quickly reminded when it holds you back. As soon as you leave the bike from a crash no question it will go off. I am the proof with a previous vest model.

Do your research on the Helite as it does full back and neck protection.

There are quite a few examples how it works on U Tube.

I was thinking the same thing.

there may not be enough "jolt" when just walking away and it may not explode

But I'm curious to hear a more technical explanation.

Quite right . Not enough of a jolt. I think the companies have taken this into account.
There is an special model that a hand extends from the vest , grabs you by the balls and you go, "Oh, I nearly forgot"

I sorted out a group buy for my airbag vest I seem to remember. You might want to look into doing that if you’re thinking of getting one. It’s pretty simple, ask what the best price would be if you can get x people to buy.

Back
Top Bottom