Who here wears an air-bag jacket/vest as im looking for advice on buying one | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who here wears an air-bag jacket/vest as im looking for advice on buying one

Interested but am thinking electronic one I don't want a tether. Maybe just go fo a dainese jacket with the built in airbag.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
did u read the posts on this thread before commenting?

i already went over the dianese one. its ok, but offers no neck/collar protection or hip protection. also, is that actually u in ur avatar photo?

I sorted out a group buy for my airbag vest I seem to remember. You might want to look into doing that if you’re thinking of getting one. It’s pretty simple, ask what the best price would be if you can get x people to buy.

yeah i dont think anyone really needs to do that though, the prices on them have come down significantly in the last 3 years.. they're like $800 now thats pretty doable

did u read the posts on this thread before commenting?

i already went over the dianese one. its ok, but offers no neck/collar protection or hip protection. also, is that actually u in ur avatar photo?
I did but I would give up a bit of protection for no tether. The e turtle looks tempting but my wife thinks I should get a jacket so I actually use it rather than not bother on short rides.

so did the hit air help u or protect u in any way?when u say cheap do you mean cheap as in the costs to purchase it are cheap, or cheap as in the actual product is cheap materials and quality?

but how can astar give most protection area? it doesn't have any neck protection, and doesnt give any lower torso protection, as well, no hip or lower tailbone/spine protection... Helite now is offering electronic ones, u think i should go for that one over the manual pulley system one?

It did protect me, but was thrown in the garbage after that. I mean its cheap to replace the cartridge after a crash (around $30 per).

I probably should have been clearer, it offered the most protection area at the time I was purchasing it 2-3 years ago. not really up to date with what is being offered right now or how they compare.

Im my opinion electronic is better than tether, but that's only an opinion

Interestingly, I was just recently thinking that I need to buy a new jacket. This thread made me think that airbag jacket might be the best choice. I do like vented hi-vis from helite. Looks like it is a really nice option for riding in the summer that offers good protection. Sadly, this one uses tether..

Interestingly, I was just recently thinking that I need to buy a new jacket. This thread made me think that airbag jacket might be the best choice. I do like vented hi-vis from helite. Looks like it is a really nice option for riding in the summer that offers good protection. Sadly, this one uses tether..
I'm in the same boat.

they offer electronic as well now. not just tether. scroll to the top

Interested but am thinking electronic one I don't want a tether. Maybe just go fo a dainese jacket with the built in airbag.

the helite offers electronic ones too now. and more protection than the dianese

here is the electronic helite
75341046_2512945102156039_6157063488305889280_o.jpg

evGlM0v.png

75371653_2512960418821174_6420698506603790336_o.jpg

74887101_2512960535487829_5842704536875040768_o.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 7.53.39 PM.png

Last edited:
they offer electronic as well now. not just tether. scroll to the top
As far as I understand, only e-Turtle vests are electronic. All jackets still use tether. Also, to me, it looks like their vented jacket has better airflow for summer use but I might be wrong.

There is one more thing, it looks like Helite provides maybe the best coverage (I really like the neck protection) but I'm not sure about their collision detection algorithms. This is their first generation and it should work without issues but it's still the first generation. I just think that in some cases it might be slower than tethered version. Obviously, there are a lot of advantages of the electronics system (I would assume it should work much better in hi-side accidents when a bike flies after the rider).

Also, e.g. Dainese updates their algorithms via an app. Helite doesn't say anything about it or I just didn't notice it..

The reason why I personally want a jacket is that it will guarantee that I'm wearing it all the time.. If I would go with a vest then quite often I will need to put on a jacket, then vest and then a backpack (yeah, sadly but I'm often riding with a backpack).. It can be just too many things to put on every time when I'm going for a ride..

The reason why I personally want a jacket is that it will guarantee that I'm wearing it all the time.. If I would go with a vest then quite often I will need to put on a jacket, then vest and then a backpack (yeah, sadly but I'm often riding with a backpack).. It can be just too many things to put on every time when I'm going for a ride..
How do vest and backpack cooperate? You may need to strap the bag to the bike if you go with an airbag.

How do vest and backpack cooperate? You may need to strap the bag to the bike if you go with an airbag.
So, based on Helite videos of the jacket, I don't think that there will be any issues with my backpack as it inflates inside the jacket. In fact, I might test it if I will buy it especially because it is not that expensive to recharge it.

For the vest.. it's not clear.. I guess it should be ok because if it e.g. inflates under backpack straps then the backpack will just move higher. But I would agree that it might be a little bit awkward..

So, based on Helite videos of the jacket, I don't think that there will be any issues with my backpack as it inflates inside the jacket. In fact, I might test it if I will buy it especially because it is not that expensive to recharge it.

For the vest.. it's not clear.. I guess it should be ok because if it e.g. inflates under backpack straps then the backpack will just move higher. But I would agree that it might be a little bit awkward..
i think you and others in this thread being wayyyyyy too picky and whining too much. the vest is what it is. helite is not going to change certain aspects of the vest just to please you. of course anything in the world that is created can be created better.

the helite electronic vest even lets you just put in another c02 cartridge on your own after a crash and ur good to go.
with other companies like apine you have to take the vest, mail it to them, wait for them to reconfigure the system, then they send it back to you, and u have to do this after every crash.. others like klim vest are charging $150 per month for u to access the system chip. so i think helite is being very reasonable and from what i see its the only electronic vest where u urself can reload it on the spot and keep rolling

i think you and others in this thread being wayyyyyy too picky and whining too much. the vest is what it is. helite is not going to change certain aspects of the vest just to please you. of course anything in the world that is created can be created better.

the helite electronic vest even lets you just put in another c02 cartridge on your own after a crash and ur good to go.
with other companies like apine you have to take the vest, mail it to them, wait for them to reconfigure the system, then they send it back to you, and u have to do this after every crash.. others like klim vest are charging $150 per month for u to access the system chip. so i think helite is being very reasonable and from what i see its the only electronic vest where u urself can reload it on the spot and keep rolling

hm.. I guess I can be considered as picky.. it's just if I'm going to spend $1+k then I want something that works for me.. and I personally don't think that a vest is a good option for me. I would rather prefer a jacket. But like I said before Helite hiviz vented jacket looks very nice.. I more and more think that it can be ok to have it tethered especially considering recharging cost..

hm.. I guess I can be considered as picky.. it's just if I'm going to spend $1+k then I want something that works for me.. and I personally don't think that a vest is a good option for me. I would rather prefer a jacket. But like I said before Helite hiviz vented jacket looks very nice.. I more and more think that it can be ok to have it tethered especially considering recharging cost..
Recharge cost seem like a non issue to me if I use it chances are I will have bigger issues. But really think a jacket would be better and have a better chance of getting used. Tether is going to be a no go for me helite will probably broaden the use of the e actuator soon and bring it to jackets. Until then I think I may just buy a dainese jacket soon. Still cheaper than missing work or having an injury. If it helps me I will be more than happy to buy another after a accident.

Back
Top Bottom