When did pick up trucks turn into cars? | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

When did pick up trucks turn into cars?

LV2tGZY.jpg

It's not till you see the original 911 and the current iteration side by side to realize just how much larger it's grown over the last 50 years:

1964-porsche-901-vs-2020-porsche-911-105-1580474361.jpg

1964-porsche-901-vs-2020-porsche-911-102-1580474359.jpg

The HiAce up until a couple years ago was the cab-over-engine style. Not so good in crash tests ...

When I was in Australia on a group motorcycle trip, the support van was a HiAce. It "functioned". Driver reported that it had awful handling, and we could feel it getting blown around in cross-winds.
Drove a (company provided) HiAce in the desert interior while working for a mid-east oil co. Good for hauling capacity and reliability, but the first to get stuck in sand drifts and easily swayed off-course in a shamal. Still, (in four-wheel guise) a preferred option over the other two alternatives, the (old) Land Rover Defender which steered like a truck and broke down quite often and the Toyota Dyna which very easily overturned and had an under-seat motor which meant no protection and almost certain death in a frontal.

Last edited:
Land cruisers are a commodity back home. 20yr old ones with 300k can still go for $30k kangaroo dollars.

Here's a nice 2018 gxl with a "couple" mods. 240L fuel tank gives it over 2000km range.

Cheap cruiser

Back in 2003 my (now) wife and I spent 10 months travelling around Australia and sleeping in the back of this beauty (modified 1980 model):

AqbIIqg.png

After an accident with a Holden Jackeroo, we bought the Landcruiser - what an amazing way to see an amazing Country. Proud to say I crossed the Nullarbor in that thing!

Back on track to penis enhancers.

LV2tGZY.jpg

sorry about your small weewee.
Definitely don't get lifted trucks. handles like crap and forget about loading stuff into the bed easily.
I'm the opposite and want to lower mine.

Yeah, I could do with a less steeper angle on the ramp, for sure.
Didn't Ram go with air ride to lower/tilt the bed? It seemed like a reasonable solution to the ridiculous growth of pick ups (and people only buying them if they are tall and therefore useless).

Didn't Ram go with air ride to lower/tilt the bed? It seemed like a reasonable solution to the ridiculous growth of pick ups (and people only buying them if they are tall and therefore useless).

OMG Ram.

I would actually like to take the truck back and forth to the trails, opposed to back and forth to the service centre.

OMG Ram.

I would actually like to take the truck back and forth to the trails, opposed to back and forth to the service centre.
I didn't say the truck was good. Just they had a single good idea that I believe others should copy. At least as an available option for people that actually use their trucks.

Yeah, I could do with a less steeper angle on the ramp, for sure.
Tacoma, right? I wish my Tacoma was 4" lower. Even with my dirt bike only 145lb, it's still kinda dumb.

I've seen lifted 4X4 pickups with low profile tires on spoke alloy rims. The make me think of football players in high heels.
Not quite that bad but I know a guy that bought a lifted Jeep with the usual great big tires, but the original rims and tires also came with it. He now drives around for most of the year on the original tires (looks stupid) but the difference in gas consumption is substantial. Didn't realize that when he fell in love with the "look" at purchase time.

Not quite that bad but I know a guy that bought a lifted Jeep with the usual great big tires, but the original rims and tires also came with it. He now drives around for most of the year on the original tires (looks stupid) but the difference in gas consumption is substantial. Didn't realize that when he fell in love with the "look" at purchase time.
Not to mention the noise. A buddy had a Grand Cherokee that he lifted and put mudders on (to be fair, he did do a lot of real off-roading), and the drone on the highway was deafening. It drove me completely mental. An hour and a half in there had me scrambling for the exit with my hands clapped over my ears...

Yeah. Every generation they get taller, wider and longer.
Yeah, I had a '80 F150. Almost exactly 16 feet long, with 8' of that being the bed.
Edit. Just checked, and supposedly a new one with a standard cab and 8' bed( if you can buy one) is almost 19'.

Yeah, I had a '80 F150. Almost exactly 16 feet long, with 8' of that being the bed.
Edit. Just checked, and supposedly a new one with a standard cab and 8' bed( if you can buy one) is almost 19'.

With my 1978 you often hit your head on the rear window getting in. It didn't have a lot of crash protection IIRC. I don't know how that figures in. Nice long straight six FWIW.

I was just going through the motions at the dealerships about buying a truck for work. I do a lot of HWY driving and haul cargo a few hundred KM's from a manufacturing plant back to the city etc..

I went to Toyota first, and had a look, they were not willing to budge on their price, even though their Tundra is way out of date. The large crew cab only offered the baby bed (5.5). I need at LEAST the short bed (6.5) as an option, and they only offered it on their smaller cabs. I need to account for space for 3 men as well. The reliability is why I was entertaining them, but not willing to move on the price broke that conversation down quickly. We all know the new tundra will affect the price of the current models, so I was hoping they would work with me. Not even a little.

I had a chevy before and did not have good luck with that brand or dealers so I avoided that brand entirely. I also do not like they physical look of their trucks currently.

Ford was the only other brand I looked at. They came out with a refresh this year, most importantly for me is a bunch of safety features that mimic what Toyota has had on their vehicles for a little while. They also offered a large crew cab with the option of a 6.7 foot bed. Lots of little packages and options to choose from can drastically increase the price of the base truck. The demand is very high for this vehicle from what I gathered visiting several Ford dealers spread across the city. I got to test out the Powerboost version, and was very impressed. They told me it would take 3 months to get the truck I want (with my strange choice of the bigger bed) if I ordered it today. This is still the best choice for a truck, for my needs, and some wants. I will likely be placing an order for this in the next couple weeks or so.

I was just going through the motions at the dealerships about buying a truck for work. I do a lot of HWY driving and haul cargo a few hundred KM's from a manufacturing plant back to the city etc..

I went to Toyota first, and had a look, they were not willing to budge on their price, even though their Tundra is way out of date. The large crew cab only offered the baby bed (5.5). I need at LEAST the short bed (6.5) as an option, and they only offered it on their smaller cabs. I need to account for space for 3 men as well. The reliability is why I was entertaining them, but not willing to move on the price broke that conversation down quickly. We all know the new tundra will affect the price of the current models, so I was hoping they would work with me. Not even a little.

I had a chevy before and did not have good luck with that brand or dealers so I avoided that brand entirely. I also do not like they physical look of their trucks currently.

Ford was the only other brand I looked at. They came out with a refresh this year, most importantly for me is a bunch of safety features that mimic what Toyota has had on their vehicles for a little while. They also offered a large crew cab with the option of a 6.7 foot bed. Lots of little packages and options to choose from can drastically increase the price of the base truck. The demand is very high for this vehicle from what I gathered visiting several Ford dealers spread across the city. I got to test out the Powerboost version, and was very impressed. They told me it would take 3 months to get the truck I want (with my strange choice of the bigger bed) if I ordered it today. This is still the best choice for a truck, for my needs, and some wants. I will likely be placing an order for this in the next couple weeks or so.

That experience mirrors mine in the toyota/honda camp. "We are the best. we sell at full price. Why would you even consider cross-shopping other brands". We were looking at a rav4 that was easily 5 years behind the competition and they refused to budge at all so we walked and have never been back.

Have had a similar experience at Honda/Toyota before. Kia was the worst as I spent 10min in the dealership and no one came up, or even wanted to talk when I went to look at their minivan offering. So we ended up buying a used Odyssey. Much better experience at the used section of Honda than the new sales department.

I think Honda/Toyota are forgetting that they're no longer the cat's ass when it comes to features, reliability, and overall offerings out there.

Back
Top Bottom