What's your plans (or dreams?) in retirement? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's your plans (or dreams?) in retirement?

Florida is kind of boring for riding though
but agree there are some nice communities

I'd be getting a weapon and stay current at the range
nickel plated Colt 45 ACP kinda turns my crank

Does the right to bear arms apply to Canadians?

Does the right to bear arms apply to Canadians?
no

EDIT: oh i see what you meant.

Yes, assuming you can legally acquire one.

I think you'd have to establish residency
that's for it to be legal
and if you want the option of standing your ground
best to make sure you're 100% legal

I think you'd have to establish residency
that's for it to be legal
and if you want the option of standing your ground
best to make sure you're 100% legal

Would def have to consult a florida lawyer and see what counts as resident, if you live there for 12 weeks out of the year, can you for the 12 weeks be strapped?

Here is the full list of legal requirements:

A dream is just a wish unless you put a date on it, i would suggest people put a date on that retirement to make it real

agree it's good to have goal
the definition of that goal can vary

go from flat out to to ass-mode?
that's how dudes end up dead 6 months after retiring

You will know when it's time.
When you hate the thought of going to work on Monday and it is affecting your health it's time to retire.

I retired this summer. 58 and wanted out before I turned 60. The prospect of teleworking helped me decide. No debt, owned property, grown up kid, no worries. Bought a second motorcycle as a retirement gift, since I can’t travel, I ride. A lot. Bicycle too.
Pandemic aside, my eventual plans are to travel to exotic places to spend long periods of time while I’m still healthy enough to do it. And ride motorcycles as much as I can, while I can.

You will know when it's time.
When you hate the thought of going to work on Monday and it is affecting your health it's time to retire.
Now is not yet the the time for me, I'd be bored at home. I tell myself that if I wake up 5 days in a row not wanting to go to work -- it's time. If that doesn't happen, then Jan 1 2015 is my first day of full time retirement.

For me at this point I've got 3kids in uni and one in college. soon as they are done I'm done. been working since i was 14 I've had almost enough

:unsure: 2015 ?

you missed the boat.

I retired this summer. 58 and wanted out before I turned 60. The prospect of teleworking helped me decide. No debt, owned property, grown up kid, no worries. Bought a second motorcycle as a retirement gift, since I can’t travel, I ride. A lot. Bicycle too.
Pandemic aside, my eventual plans are to travel to exotic places to spend long periods of time while I’m still healthy enough to do it. And ride motorcycles as much as I can, while I can.
amen.

i'm getting all the travelling done now, later may be..too late!

amen.

i'm getting all the travelling done now, later may be..too late!
Ya - that's what I did. I Travelled when I was young enough to enjoy every moment, these days I don't have any real desire to travel. When I head out now, I mostly do it by MC, and usually with a time to return and a rough idea about where I'm going - the rest just unfolds.

It was also easier on the budget as I didn't need fancy accommodations (or at least as fancy I my minimum standards today).

I actually have no plans for retirement, i would be way too bored. I'll keep grinding away at something.

I hear the "I'd be bored" thing so often, but I don't know, I don't think I'd ever fall prey to that. There's soooooo much stuff I'd love to do that there is just not time for. I'd love to get back into model airplanes - that's an endless hobby there between building and long leisurely days at the field flying and chatting with other hobbyists. I'd love to get back into horse ownership and riding. I'd love to get into photography. I'd love to be able to throw my tent and some food in a cooler and take off on the bike and camp here, there, everywhere. I'd love to do the same and take off for the west coast...just because.

There's just so much tumbling around in my head that I could fill 20 years with it all in a heartbeat.

I'm moving out of Canada and retiring in Central America. I already scoped out the places and its a paradise. Cute young women everywhere, sunny 280 days of the year, hot and humid everyday. New townhouses are only $40,000 dollars with all the amenities that a Canadian townhouse has. I'm planning in having a pick-up truck and 2 motorcycles, a trailer and a Sea*Doo. There are NO property taxes over there, so after spending the $40k for a townhouse I don't have to worry about anything except water, hydro and internet. I already scoped all that too.

I think that's a dream that many people think of that doesn't end up working out. We had friends in our riding group who did that about 6 or 8 years back - sold everything, left their jobs, and went to somewhere in that area. Less than 2 years later, they were home again - the cost of living was more than they were led to believe, they missed their family, they said that they never could acclimatize to the overpowering sweltering temperatures, and the crime was something that they said always had them on edge, and as well-heeled "foreigners" like it or not, you do always have a target on your back. They said it was exhausting at times if you actually wanted to live life, and not just drink yourself to death in your gated community. I'd go bonkers.

Florida for me. Inexpensive, great healthcare, lots of safe communities and the have ocean. Downside is bugs.

Well, as others have mentioned, the crazy people and the fact your house and many of your belongings might get flooded or blown away every year or three from a hurricane...and that's only getting worse at the years go on.

And one only need Google "Florida Man" to see how batshit crazy some people are there.

Not on my list of places I'm interested in going. There are other in the south that are much better options in my mind in many ways.

I tell myself that if I wake up 5 days in a row not wanting to go to work -- it's time.

Geezus, I'd have retired 10 years ago by that logic. :LOL:

What keeps me at my current employer is a few realities:

- I can work 8 hours a day (no matter how much the company dislikes it, it's in our contract) in an industry where 10 hours would be considered the bottom end of a normal work day, and 13-15 hours is typical.
- I have a pension that I'm still building, and also has clauses with massive clawbacks if I start collecting it before 65.
- I'm not even 50 yet so it's too early to retire. House is paid for, not a lot of debt, but now we're improving the house, enjoying ourselves with a lot of travel and indulgements, and putting our kids through school. Once that's over, sock away money into more retirement savings.

On the topic of indulging ourselves with travel and buying "Wants" vs "Needs" more often now than before, well, I have also seen first hand people spend all their lives saving every penny and living on shoestring budgets with intentions to live large after retirement. And then not make it to retirement, or only a year or two into it. Sure, we might have less money every month when we retire because we took 2 or 3 big vacations every year, or had 2 motorcycles in the garage, and spent money eating out a lot, blah blah blah....but we'll have had the experiences. If I drop dead at age 60, well, it won't have been a waste. Who knows anymore.

I hear the "I'd be bored" thing so often, but I don't know, I don't think I'd ever fall prey to that. There's soooooo much stuff I'd love to do that there is just not time for. I'd love to get back into model airplanes - that's an endless hobby there between building and long leisurely days at the field flying and chatting with other hobbyists. I'd love to get back into horse ownership and riding. I'd love to get into photography. I'd love to be able to throw my tent and some food in a cooler and take off on the bike and camp here, there, everywhere. I'd love to do the same and take off for the west coast...just because.

I think my issue is, the current job is so demanding, so "go go go" that it's feeding my need to focus. I don't see much in retirement offering the same. Even on staycation days i play a little PC or PS4, maybe read a book and a few hours later i'm just bored.

Good thing i take interesting vacations a few times a year!

Even on staycation days i play a little PC or PS4, maybe read a book and a few hours later i'm just bored.

I wish I had that problem. Or maybe I don't, actually. Each and every single day I have off I have a thousand things I'd love to do with it.

Just today I spent about 3 hours reprogramming the christmas lights on the house to do some cool new light shows - I can dive into fiddly little electronics projects like that and be like a giddy kid in a candy store for hours and hours. I wanted to install more lights. I wanted to take my drone and do some cool photos of a certain area in town and have ideas for about 25 other locations I'd love to do the same, but each one would be a full day adventure. I wanted to clean the motorcycle a little and work on some more repairs on my wifes. I looked at my sole remaining 30+ year old old model plane in the basement while going to do laundry (what made me bring it up earlier) and remember all the endless days I spent (almost sun up to literally sun down some days) in my careless teen years having fun with them at the local flying field. I heard the train go by down by the lake and would like to get back into rail watching, I've dabbled with it, and I think trains are cool. I'd like to buy an old boat and fix it up - I'm good with that sort of stuff, and I have the knowledge and patience, but just not the time. While on my phone earlier I stumbled across a great lakes freighter/ship page and realized I'd like to go to the Oshawa harbour and spend a day watching the ships come and go, or go out to Welland and spend a day (or three) watching them transit the locks.

In the summer I come home from work and hop on the bike and ride.

On weekends we day trip all over the place, and on weeks off we travel.

I could go on and on and on.

I try to squeeze so much into the weekends, but feel like I've actually done so little when it's all said and done, and still feel like I just snapped my fingers and here we are, 8PM on Sunday night with another week of work staring me down before the next 2 precious days off.

I think retirement would fit me well. The 3 months voluntary layoff I had during peak Covid was like heaven - I slept until I felt like waking up in the mornings. I sat and actually relaxed while enjoying my morning coffee because I didn't feel like I needed to get moving as soon as possible to not waste a "precious day off". I cooked good meals. I sat out in our backyard and relished just sitting and doing nothing without feeling like I was wasting time not accomplishing more important/necessary things. I tooled around with little projects and hobbies and enjoyed every minute of it knowing that the other stuff could wait. And I got that other stuff done as well eventually.

I wish I had that problem. Or maybe I don't, actually. Each and every single day I have off I have a thousand things I'd love to do with it.

Just today I spent about 3 hours reprogramming the christmas lights on the house to do some cool new light shows - I can dive into fiddly little electronics projects like that and be like a giddy kid in a candy store for hours and hours. I wanted to install more lights. I wanted to take my drone and do some cool photos of a certain area in town and have ideas for about 25 other locations I'd love to do the same, but each one would be a full day adventure. I wanted to clean the motorcycle a little and work on some more repairs on my wifes. I looked at my sole remaining 30+ year old old model plane in the basement while going to do laundry (what made me bring it up earlier) and remember all the endless days I spent (almost sun up to literally sun down some days) in my careless teen years having fun with them at the local flying field. I heard the train go by down by the lake and would like to get back into rail watching, I've dabbled with it, and I think trains are cool. I'd like to buy an old boat and fix it up - I'm good with that sort of stuff, and I have the knowledge and patience, but just not the time. While on my phone earlier I stumbled across a great lakes freighter/ship page and realized I'd like to go to the Oshawa harbour and spend a day watching the ships come and go, or go out to Welland and spend a day (or three) watching them transit the locks.

In the summer I come home from work and hop on the bike and ride.

On weekends we day trip all over the place, and on weeks off we travel.

I could go on and on and on.

I try to squeeze so much into the weekends, but feel like I've actually done so little when it's all said and done, and still feel like I just snapped my fingers and here we are, 8PM on Sunday night with another week of work staring me down before the next 2 precious days off.

I think retirement would fit me well. The 3 months voluntary layoff I had during peak Covid was like heaven - I slept until I felt like waking up in the mornings. I sat and actually relaxed while enjoying my morning coffee because I didn't feel like I needed to get moving as soon as possible to not waste a "precious day off". I cooked good meals. I sat out in our backyard and relished just sitting and doing nothing without feeling like I was wasting time not accomplishing more important/necessary things. I tooled around with little projects and hobbies and enjoyed every minute of it knowing that the other stuff could wait. And I got that other stuff done as well eventually.
sounds like we both need to keep busy, i just need that mental challenge; once i figure stuff out i get bored, go ADHD!

Back
Top Bottom