What's for dinner? | Page 69 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

so a decent chef's knife is a must-have for us home culinary artists
I've had a bunch over the years
and used some decent cutlery when I did it for a living

if anyone is looking for a decent chef's knife without spending a bunch of dough
I found one a year ago at WallyWorld of all places

German stainless blade, nicely balanced
steel carries right through the handle and is triple rivited- good safety feature
been using this knife now for over a year - pic will show you that I keep it sharp on the whetstone
and it still is doing very well in the kitchen, although I figured it would be disposable

it's WallyWorld branded with the Home Trends logo
don't know how they sell it for only $15 ??

NeyjJyq.jpg

That doesn’t look bad for $15. There’s a Victorinox one that’s popular on red flag deals when on sale so I got one last time, it was about $40 I think and it’s a game changer. Only issue is a small slip with this thing could mean a small amputation. I got a butchers steel with it and it’s dangerously sharp.

Thx @JavaFan, I want to pick up a decent inexpensive option. I do recommend premium knife options as well. I picked up some high end Japanese Shun Elite kitchen knives a few years back. They're rare premium SG-2 steel. Incredibly sharp. Amazing.

What is SG2 Steel? - Knife Up
SG2, the super steel that never caught on.

kasg0404$01-kai-shun-elite-chefs-knife-d1.jpg

kasg0403$02-kai-shun-elite-santoku-d2.jpg

More food pics here. I'm still enjoying charcuterie plates
yes.gif
. This one has Coppa di Parma (dry cured pork), soppressata, oka cheese, red/green grapes, a mandarin orange, antipasto, PC garlic & herb pita crackers and Raincoast fig & olive crisps. Tasty.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Nice knife, @kwtoxman! I’m also a fan of Japanese knives (and whetstones). One of my knives is SRS-15, which is similar to SG2 in terms of manufacturing process, composition, and hardenability. It’s probably my favourite knife for how easy it is to sharpen and how well it holds an edge. Have you tried any of the high-end Japanese carbon steels? One day I will, but for now I only have stainless.

Nice @ljtenkor! They're great knives
thumbup2.gif
. I've long wanted some high end japanese carbon knives as well but my disposable income has been going elsewhere and that will likely continue ;). If I had the room to use those knives as art in the home I'd be even more tempted to buy. Beautiful pieces.

More knife talk here.
I didn't watch the video, but a few yrs ago I held my nose, and dove into a 14 piece Wüsthof Classic set, and the Wüsthof sharpener. NO regrets!
These are phenomenal knives. I've used henckels, and many more. There's no comparison. The 11° angle on the blades feel surgical.
I got the set for 60% off, and found the sharpener on sale somewhere.
Highly recommended.

Slightly off topic...I find sharpening knives to be quite a zen like experience. I have a lansky system and a heavy Japanese double sided whetstone. They do a really good job on most blades. The lansky system puts the correct angle on your blade. A butchers steel keeps them honed in between sharpening.

Mmmmn. Just had some wagyu beef hotdogs. Really tasty. No fillers or crap in them. Hadn’t seen them before and found them at our local Farmboy grocery store.

Just saw this.
Bay.com
2a28f1230bc2df747705f54e4f9cc120.jpg

Sent from my Purple LGG4 using Tapatalk

so my daughter is dating a chef, and she is on her way to becoming one
not a bad guy, even though he is dating my sweetie

we had a decent conversation about knives, and he raised a good point
the steel should carry right through the handle to the end, for balance
and also for safety, as the plastic handle ages, it can become brittle
especially if you put them in a dishwasher, a chef's knife should never go in the dishwasher

when the handle becomes brittle it can separate from the blade at a bad moment
steel right through to the end and riveted handle pieces prevent this

I stopped using any knives with a one piece handle after hearing this
all of them are now one piece steel to the end and triple riveted handle segments
the $15 WallyWorld knife is assembled in the fashion as above

Thx @JavaFan, I want to pick up a decent inexpensive option.

try the WallyWorld one KW
I think you'd be pleasantly surprised
you can use it on the Weber and not muck up one of your good knives

There’s a rosewood handle version of the Victorinox with a full tang I think but the plastic handle version is for sanitary reasons. The Henckels look good too. As long as it is sharp/can be sharpened easily, doesn’t chip too much, is balanced....I think it’s all good. It’s the user not the knife in most cases anyhow.

One thing I’m missing is a nice heavy cleaver for heavy duty chopping.

Yes @JavaFan, It nice to have less expensive quality knife as well for general and high wear use. I was happy I picked up the Shun Elite steak knife set too. They're excellent.

SGS400-set.jpg

Back to food pictures.

I found fresh corn at the local grocer
thumb_up.gif
. It was in the husk and looked very fresh. I picked a bunch up at 59 cents per cob. I went the same ultimate microwave cook, added butter and then pinches of salt and sugar.
attachment.php

in_love.gif

Red wine and shallots marinated chicken kabob grilled on the Weber summit.
attachment.php

I'll be eating and enjoying a lot of kabobs this year, and I get them on sale
wink.gif

Started with garlic, ginger, gr onions, mango, cilantro and a bit of heat (flakes from my peppers). Pureed and added a curry paste. Good olive oil whipped in and it's marinating in fridge to be BBQ over chx pieces.

My hands smell so good. Happy dancing in kitchen. Thanks for the knife info guys, just about to buy at least two new ones, my parer and cleaver need to be replaced.

Ahh. Monday afternoon long weekend BBQ prep. Life is good isnit?

Reactions: J_F
Fresh strawberries with a fresh hot cheese biscuit with hot garlic herb butter
lick.gif
attachment.php

Coffee and Black pepper chicken kebabs grilled on the Weber summit
lick.gif
attachment.php

Fresh toasted garlic bread with fresh chopped cilantro (added prior to the cook)
lick.gif
attachment.php

More perfectly cooked (microwave) fresh peaches and cream sweet corn with (unsalted) butter and a pinch of sugar and salt. Best I've had this early evah
lick.gif
attachment.php

Started with garlic, ginger, gr onions, mango, cilantro and a bit of heat (flakes from my peppers). Pureed and added a curry paste. Good olive oil whipped in and it's marinating in fridge to be BBQ over chx pieces.

My hands smell so good. Happy dancing in kitchen. Thanks for the knife info guys, just about to buy at least two new ones, my parer and cleaver need to be replaced.

Ahh. Monday afternoon long weekend BBQ prep. Life is good isnit?

there's very low probability anything that starts with those ingredients
will not turn out delicious
a friendly suggestion: add some lime juice to that combo

where's the corn from KW ?
PEC corn that is my fave is way behind this year
poor farmers haven't been able to plow last year's crap into the fields yet
they should have been planting by now

Puréed sun dried tomatoes add a really nice flavour to sauces and marinades too. I cooked some fingerling potatoes on the bbq (roasted off direct heat) smothered in a sauce made from a purée of sundried toms, fresh toms, olive oil, garlic, fresh basil and some pickled jalapeños for a kick. They were delicious. They were also supposed to last the week as sides but we kind of ate them all.

fiddleheads showed up in the market today
a spring delicacy

will boil then saute lightly
serve with hollandaise

Back
Top Bottom