What's for dinner? | Page 88 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

Made homemade pierogies (pick the spelling you want). Sorry no pics, boiled then fried with bacon and onions. On another note, Metro, down here at least, will have Prime Rib on sale this Thursday. I always pick up a few for on the grill.

I suspect we are going to see some killer deals on red meat, then pork and chicken. Restaurants are closed, those nice steaks and roasts that often go into commercial product have to go someplace. When the cow is ready to go to market you cant really just leave him standing around in the field.

Made homemade pierogies (pick the spelling you want). Sorry no pics, boiled then fried with bacon and onions. On another note, Metro, down here at least, will have Prime Rib on sale this Thursday. I always pick up a few for on the grill.

Try that method as a last nights left over.
If you take them out of the fridge and fry them on a pan they will turn a nice toasty brown and a little crunchy. Sometimes they are better then freshly boiled. ? ? ? ? ?

Sometimes they are better then freshly boiled.
Gonna have to ask you to bite your tongue.
I miss my mom's. Old Uke. No one made them better. I can't get the dough like she made it. Nothing like "fresh / never frozen" boiled!
I'm so sick af cheemo, I tossed 1/2 box in the bin 3 days ago.

I miss my mom's. Old Uke. No one made them better. I can't get the dough like she made it. Nothing like "fresh / never frozen" boiled!

Everyone will claim their mom's or even grandmas are the best pierogi they have ever had. No argument there.

Bottom line is that any home made pierogi are better than any of the supermarket (Superstore, Longos etc) crap you buy.
If not home made by wife, mom or grandma (it is a time and labuor intensive process) than at least from someone that does make them at home to order.

Now, do we want to debate the origin of pierogi? Poland, Ukraine, Russia, etc . Each culture seems to claim that they are theirs. :unsure:

Everyone will claim their mom's or even grandmas are the best pierogi they have ever had. No argument there.

Bottom line is that any home made pierogi are better than any of the supermarket (Superstore, Longos etc) crap you buy.
If not home made by wife, mom or grandma (it is a time and labuor intensive process) than at least from someone that does make them at home to order.

Now, do we want to debate the origin of pierogi? Poland, Ukraine, Russia, etc . Each culture seems to claim that they are theirs. :unsure:
I still remember putting in the hours, helping her, as a kid. We'd swing for the fences, making roughly 24 dozen at a time, to freeze. Those were long days.........I miss them.
I don't care who invented them, I just want some similar to the ole days.
Has anyone tried them from the perogy store in stoney creek yet?

I still remember putting in the hours, helping her, as a kid. We'd swing for the fences, making roughly 24 dozen at a time, to freeze. Those were long days.........I miss them.
I don't care who invented them, I just want some similar to the ole days.
Has anyone tried them from the perogy store in stoney creek yet?

I too remember making them. Mom still does sometimes. But often prefers to have the "lady" make them.

No I have not tried.
I somewhat avoid those places as I am afraid of being disappointed.

I have to try some real, fresh perogies.
Because I like them a little pan fried after boiling. (Cheemo etc)

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

There are a couple Orthodox churchs around Hamilton , and one on trafalgar rd in Oakville that do a Ukranian food sale usually Thurs or fridays. Cabbage rolls, peirogies, sometimes a snitzel thing. Not inexpensive , but made by a whole kitchen full of Bubbies and better than I can crank out.

The peirogie is a Chinese invention, they called it a dumpling. Like the Italians stole the idea for spagetti...

I can show myself out..........lol

There are a couple Orthodox churchs around Hamilton , and one on trafalgar rd in Oakville that do a Ukranian food sale usually Thurs or fridays. Cabbage rolls, peirogies, sometimes a snitzel thing. Not inexpensive , but made by a whole kitchen full of Bubbies and better than I can crank out.

The peirogie is a Chinese invention, they called it a dumpling. Like the Italians stole the idea for spagetti...

I can show myself out..........lol

Drive by those churches often but never been inside. Actually look at the Croatian church hall as an option for our wedding 11 years ago.

Anyone know where Bagels originated? No googling.

Last edited:
Kraków ,Poland.

A bagel (Yiddish: בײגל‎ beygl; Polish: bajgiel), also historically spelled beigel, is a bread product originating in the Jewish communities of Poland. It is traditionally shaped by hand into the form of a ring from yeasted wheat dough, roughly hand-sized, that is first boiled for a short time in water and then baked.

It only originated there. It is not a known staple of Polish cuisine.

Last edited:
Montreal has bagels figured out, not sure if its technique or style but I've eaten them all over the planet and for me its montreal

Have not had any specifically from Montreal.

But I did have a "Montreal Style" bagel the "The Bagel House"
Bozo Bagel toasted, with plain cream cheese. ? ? ?

My dough probably sucks compared to your mom's. If you can, please give me her recipe; best ones I ever had were when I was living in Edmonton and went to a Ukranian couple's house.

My dough probably sucks compared to your mom's. If you can, please give me her recipe; best ones I ever had were when I was living in Edmonton and went to a Ukranian couple's house.

That's the trick, there is no precise recipe.

Mark and Nancy, in Edmonton?
My mom would have been 100 this year. She didn't write the recipe down, damnit.

Mark and Nancy, in Edmonton?
My mom would have been 100 this year. She didn't write the recipe down, damnit.
No, Not Mark and Nancy. Can't even remember their names, it was 40 years ago. He was the former boss of my boss, lived out somewhere between Entwistle and Drayton.

No, Not Mark and Nancy. Can't even remember their names, it was 40 years ago. He was the former boss of my boss, lived out somewhere between Entwistle and Drayton.
Haha...exact same time frame too..... I was think'n 'small world' story.

Out past Draytoin ?? that was Paul and Francis if I remember right, they bought sour cream from the Russian orthodox folks out near Plomondon .

Back
Top Bottom