What's for dinner? | Page 89 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

Out past Draytoin ?? that was Paul and Francis if I remember right, they bought sour cream from the Russian orthodox folks out near Plomondon .
Good one. Just outside of Entwistle, on a farm. Worked as a maintainer for CN Signals.

pan fried gnocchi
HrFcsiJ.jpg

left over smoked ribs
5zvDhOi.jpg

some sauce and fresh basil
omUSGtM.jpg

voila
EhFStVz.jpg

Ok..flame suit on. I bought 6lbs of vegan “meat” from Costco. The stuff is called Match Meat and you get 2 lbs each of “beef, chicken and Italian sausage” flavour for $99.

Tried the chicken tonight, I made schnitzels. Have to say, it’s really not too bad! Served it with home made vegan mushroom gravy, home made potato croquettes and some braised red cabbage and apple. Very tasty for a meatless meal.

Will try the other flavours soon and maybe take some pics. 1lb of the chicken flavour made 5 decent size schnitzels.

Ok..flame suit on. I bought 6lbs of vegan “meat” from Costco. The stuff is called Match Meat and you get 2 lbs each of “beef, chicken and Italian sausage” flavour for $99.

Tried the chicken tonight, I made schnitzels. Have to say, it’s really not too bad! Served it with home made vegan mushroom gravy, home made potato croquettes and some braised red cabbage and apple. Very tasty for a meatless meal.

Will try the other flavours soon and maybe take some pics. 1lb of the chicken flavour made 5 decent size schnitzels.
Jeepers, John. If you'll pay $16.5 a pound for fancy bean curd, what would you give me for venison? L

did people stop eating dinner??

onion and bacon risotto
sqbXqpM.jpg

wKj4Tcv.jpg

Didn't take any, but I'm making another batch later this week. This was a trial run, to be tweaked a little for the next one ... ended up with too much liquid that needed to be absorbed this time, and had to add more rice than I had originally intended, in order to soak it up.

This coronavirus shutdown has led to a huge expansion in home cooking, and I know it's not just me.

This one needs 2 frying pans, one small, one big. It will make 4-ish servings.
Splash of olive oil in each, turn on the heat on both at the same time.
2 boneless chicken breasts, start them cooking in the small pan.
Chop up 2 cloves of garlic and get them going in the big pan.
Chop up half a yellow onion, add that to the big pan and mix it up with the garlic.
Slice up half of a red bell pepper and half of a green bell pepper (or any other colour you choose). Big pieces, to add colour to the final dish. Add that to the big pan.
Somewhere around now, flip the chicken breasts in the first pan.
When the onions are cooked through, add half a can of diced tomatoes, and half a can of romano beans (or substitute whatever other beans you choose). I may try black beans next time, to add some colour.
Add a little bit of sea salt.
Add a cup of rice.
Turn the heat off to the small pan, cut up the (now-cooked) chicken breasts into chunks, and put those into the big pan. It's OK if the chicken wasn't fully cooked through because it's still got 20 minutes to go in the second pan.
Mix all this up, and cover it and turn down the heat.
About 10 minutes in, check on the rice, and add about half a small bottle of sliced olives. Use your judgment on how much liquid the rice is going to need at this point. If it looks like it is going to need more, add some chicken broth and/or the "juice" from the olives. (I used too much of this in the first batch and had to add more rice to soak it up.)
Cover it again, turn off the heat about 5 minutes later, and let it coast while the rice soaks up the rest of the liquid.

This is one of those "mix together a bunch of stuff you like and cook it" recipes. Like mushrooms? Add some. Have some other veggies in the fridge that you need to use up? Toss them in. Want spicy instead of olive-y? Take out the olives and substitute a chopped up hot pepper. It'll work.

Didn't take any, but I'm making another batch later this week. This was a trial run, to be tweaked a little for the next one ... ended up with too much liquid that needed to be absorbed this time, and had to add more rice than I had originally intended, in order to soak it up.

This coronavirus shutdown has led to a huge expansion in home cooking, and I know it's not just me.

This one needs 2 frying pans, one small, one big. It will make 4-ish servings.
Splash of olive oil in each, turn on the heat on both at the same time.
2 boneless chicken breasts, start them cooking in the small pan.
Chop up 2 cloves of garlic and get them going in the big pan.
Chop up half a yellow onion, add that to the big pan and mix it up with the garlic.
Slice up half of a red bell pepper and half of a green bell pepper (or any other colour you choose). Big pieces, to add colour to the final dish. Add that to the big pan.
Somewhere around now, flip the chicken breasts in the first pan.
When the onions are cooked through, add half a can of diced tomatoes, and half a can of romano beans (or substitute whatever other beans you choose). I may try black beans next time, to add some colour.
Add a little bit of sea salt.
Add a cup of rice.
Turn the heat off to the small pan, cut up the (now-cooked) chicken breasts into chunks, and put those into the big pan. It's OK if the chicken wasn't fully cooked through because it's still got 20 minutes to go in the second pan.
Mix all this up, and cover it and turn down the heat.
About 10 minutes in, check on the rice, and add about half a small bottle of sliced olives. Use your judgment on how much liquid the rice is going to need at this point. If it looks like it is going to need more, add some chicken broth and/or the "juice" from the olives. (I used too much of this in the first batch and had to add more rice to soak it up.)
Cover it again, turn off the heat about 5 minutes later, and let it coast while the rice soaks up the rest of the liquid.

This is one of those "mix together a bunch of stuff you like and cook it" recipes. Like mushrooms? Add some. Have some other veggies in the fridge that you need to use up? Toss them in. Want spicy instead of olive-y? Take out the olives and substitute a chopped up hot pepper. It'll work.

Gotta post them pics man!

Been a while since anyone posted here, so here are some pics of Sunday dinner in preparation. Venison Satay served with homemade bacon cheddar perogies fried with bacon bits, onions and fresh wild leeks. Topped with Tzatziki and sour cream, and served with steamed veggies with a cheese sauce. my arteries will never be the same.

Attachments

• 20200524_184120-1.jpg
    20200524_184120-1.jpg
    435.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200524_183852-2.jpg
    20200524_183852-2.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 13
Its perogies and sausage here tonite! I've found a sausage brand "Rea" , its frozen in the supermarkets, cured, I get 5 big ones in a pack at Longos for $7.89. Not the cheapest, nor most expensive by far but tasty and reliable.

Through the week its frozen perogies , appologies to you Polaks and Ukes, but its tuesday and I'm still working. Anybody got a brand recommendation that doesnt taste like sawdust in dough?

Its perogies and sausage here tonite! I've found a sausage brand "Rea" , its frozen in the supermarkets, cured, I get 5 big ones in a pack at Longos for $7.89. Not the cheapest, nor most expensive by far but tasty and reliable.

Through the week its frozen perogies , appologies to you Polaks and Ukes, but its tuesday and I'm still working. Anybody got a brand recommendation that doesnt taste like sawdust in dough?
Food Basics has Rea regularly priced at $6.99. I buy when they go on sale for $5.99.
Do you grill them from frozen? I always boil mine first then grill.

Costco had a perogy vendor in a while back and they were good. I usually eat the Cheemo stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Food Basics has Rea regularly priced at $6.99. I buy when they go on sale for $5.99.
Do you grill them from frozen? I always boil mine first then grill.

Costco had a perogy vendor in a while back and they were good. I usually eat the Cheemo stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I boil them first, then into the frypan with the bacon and the alliums. These weren't frozen, but same if they had been.

Anybody got a brand recommendation that doesnt taste like sawdust in dough?

I got fed up with cheemo's sad effort a while ago. Rip into one, and look what's actually inside!
So. Trying to find an edible/enjoyable brand for 2yrs has not been easy, or fun. There's some pure garbage out there.
There's one, in the freezer atm. Pelman is the brand (fortinos). I've eaten them once. More boiling time needed, my bad, but, they have a real filling. I need to try them again and boil 'em longer.
(I'm partial to my cheese & tater rogies)

The Rea sausage I defrost then just grill , that boil then grill thing I understand but it’s an extra step and I’m not convinced

Perogies here are only boiled if we have Eastern Europeans eating , then they have that whole soft like dumpling idea . I like them pan fried and I’ll steam them in the fry pan , then drain and fry in **** loads of butter. With butter / bacon topped with high fat sour cream and cheddar it’s not exactly diet food LOL

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

I did a turkey Asiago risotto. The Mrs says the recipe is a keeper and another way of using up left over turkey.

Use a typical risotto recipe but use turkey broth. At the end throw in left over turkey, Asiago, blanched asparagus pieces and fried mushrooms. It's an entree rather than a side dish.

We had a roast duck and my wife commented on how much fat there was in the roaster. I said keep it.

A day or two later I used it to make french fries. Yum. Normally I use canola but the duck is oh so nice.

I use the two cook method, five minutes at 275° F and afterwards brown to taste at 350° F. SHMBO was always concerned about the fats but since there is just the two of us I use a cast iron pan and a cup of oil does the job in small batches. After cooking I measured the oil and we only lost a couple of tablespoons. There's probably more oil in my "healthy" salad.

Back
Top Bottom