What's for dinner? | Page 86 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

Not a seafood fan
but Holy **** that looks good
Thx @bigpoppa, @J_F and @Joe Bass :). I hope you @bigpoppa and @Joe Bass enjoy similar soon.

it may be tasty rice, isa no risotto
LOL, why do you often do this broken record when I share an Instant pot risotto meal? We know your position. Breath, try to relax and let it rest :), Italian grandmothers aren't happy either. OTOH, it's great risotto, doing most all of the little things down to the toasting the rice grains... I defer to quality professional chefs, food/recipe sources and their advice :).

Meanwhile, I see there's a new air fryer lid accessory for the Instant Pot available in the US. It should be coming to Canada soon. Some review articles and YouTube videos have trickled out. Anyone here air fry?

Last edited:
I know a few people that will only use an air fryer for their wings
I have yet to try one

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

We have an air fryer, its really good for wings and pub style stuff. What it wont do it give you that "deep fried awesomeness" if you try and make something like aranchini , or battered wngs that are 1/2" of batter. My local calls them dusted, but the dust is a 12mm layer.
Its a Cuisinart I paid about $300cdn for and truthfully I think my convection kitchen oven does the same thing.

My wife thinks its a healthier option. She is probably right and its the only way i can get her to eat wings at home. She banned my deep fryer a few years ago. I'll deep fry in a wok when shes not home, she never knows.

@kwtoxman , Rick Bayliss is an outstanding Mexican chef, he's done more for N American cooking perception of what Mexican should be than just about anybody. Even when we lived in the south west Mexican was TexMex, which should have been called Texmess. Once you get into Mexico, away from Cancun and the Hard Rock cafe the food just keeps getting better. He knows nothing of risotto LOL.

I have an air fryer. I don’t use it a lot as it doesn’t produce really good results, like most newer kitchen innovations it’s good for healthy eating options or convenience but there’s a reason chefs aren’t serving you meals in (decent) restaurants from instant pots or airfryers, there’s a compromise to be made. We mainly use the air fryer for one dish to cook gnocchi to get a slightly crisp coating and it does quite well for that. It also cuts down on the oil content for a lot of meals. As for a good risotto, like most good things, it takes time and effort to do it right.

Thx for the air fry feedback. Anyone else?

Rick Bayless is known for a lot more than his MX food; as someone who was widely considered a serious contender for Executive Chef at the White House at one point it's pretty obvious he's familiar with risotto, LOL. Impressively consistent hyperbolic dismissiveness.

MC does pressure cooker risotto.

Last edited:
You don’t take criticism very well. As far as I know risotto is one of the most energy and focus intensive dishes you can make traditionally and even many restaurants get it wrong, you have to stay with it stirring it constantly or it ruins easily. The creaminess which is characteristic of the dish comes from this constant movement too. No doubt there’s going to be published shortcuts in any number of cookbooks endorsed by any number of chefs but I’d really doubt if Mr Bayless, had he gotten the job at the White House, would be serving risotto from an instant pot do you? These things have their place in a modern household mainly for convenience.

Back on the air fryer......I don’t regret getting mine and it’s worth experimenting with it. It is very much healthier than deep or even shallow frying but the way it works means it will strip off batters and mangle delicate foods. So for instance you can’t really do tempura vegetables or anything like that in the one I have because the paddles that move the food around slowly (necessary for the hot air to evenly cook the food) would ruin them. Things like sweet potato fries aren’t too bad but they still get a little damaged as they don’t hold up too well with the constant movement.

LOL, when criticism is repetitive, it's definitely tiring and unwelcome... especially in a thread that simply shares what's for dinner (sigh). Broken-record contrarian negativity is not the best way participate on a forum. You should know that. And trying to point to a red herring fallacy about risotto at the White House is more stupendous nonsense.

Facts, by far the majority of the population uses the name risotto for pressure cooker versions of these meals (including well known chefs and go-to food and wine resources); internet searches of pressure cooker risotto get >1.3M results. Sure, the odd person doesn't subscribe to all naming conventions for this dish... that's fine as everyone is different and it's an opinion. However, retreading the "it's not risotto" topic in this thread again and again most every time a pressure cooker risotto dish goes up (sigh) is tiring, unnecessary nonsense and unhelpful. How ridiculous and what a ridiculous topic. Move on.

The topic of this thread and its post are about "What's for dinner", it would be great to stick to that. And if anyone wants, by all means open up a new thread on GTAM to discuss the riveting must-know topic of your personal opinions on the naming conventions for risotto, and have at it. Yes, repetitive dismissive negative contrarian opinions are unwelcome.

Last edited:
getting ready for riding season
exercise and trying to eat a bit better

pan seared tofu, rainbow trout and avocado
whole grain toast and some cantaloupe for desert
not bad but definitely missing something!

74n6BDB.jpg

74n6BDB.jpg
You just pan seared the tofu in oil until firm?
And did you also sear the avocado?
This may work for my vegetarian son.

Neighbour's kid was over last night.
We had Tuesday.
He bragged to his parents on how much he liked it and how cool I had everything set up.
My own kids have never been that nice to me. Lol.
His whole family is coming over next Tuesday.

Reactions: J_F
Joe, yes
olive oil in a cast iron skillet
tofu and avocado cooked together
cracked pepper and Kikkomans for seasoning

I love tacos and nachos and all that American/Mexican chow
especially with beer...that I'm also off for awhile :(

I’m in Miami. I love latin food. This place is very dangerous for my wallet. World famous pastry chef restaurant nearby and it’s looking good for breakfast. Peruvian this evening with cold potato croquettes topped with raw tuna with a ginger/soy dressing followed by a market ceviche with coconut, white beans, sweet potato, scallop, fresh fish and calamare and chilli peppers. Washed down with an imported Peruvian red ale which was really excellent. Toasted corn and home cooked potato chips and cilantro dip complimentary with the food.

74n6BDB.jpg

try saitan or tempeh. For me they have more interesting texture and flavour of their own. Tofu just takes up the flavour of whatever you cook it with. Smoked Tempeh is pretty good.

j_f , thats a very unusual combo plate, are you working with a nutritionist or just thinking this stuff up as you go thgrough the fridge? I'm genuinely interested , I ordered the new Jamie Oliver 'veg' cookbook. His take, is we were never really supposed to eat meat three times a day. He may niot be wrong.
With my Celtic background there is one protien (meat) and one veg (potato) . I'd like to do better.

j_f , thats a very unusual combo plate, are you working with a nutritionist or just thinking this stuff up as you go thgrough the fridge? I'm genuinely interested , I ordered the new Jamie Oliver 'veg' cookbook. His take, is we were never really supposed to eat meat three times a day. He may niot be wrong.
With my Celtic background there is one protien (meat) and one veg (potato) . I'd like to do better.
Not to thread derail, but amazing how the two sides differ.
Plant based claim we weren't supposed to eat meat.
Carnivore based claim that our bodies don't need the plants.
I like the *idea* of a carnivore keto diet.
But I also think that my body does better without dairy.
And without wheat and starchy carbs.
Girl at work is on a strict keto diet.
Down like 50lbs in 6 months.
Says she feels great.
Looks great.
My kid has been vegetarian for a while now and he has slimmed down and his health is better.

I'm really thinking that we just need to find what works best for each of us.

Being tired, busy and a little sick, and then ordering pizza and wings isn't really good for any of us.
And tbh, (maybe because it was PizzaPizza) I didn't even enjoy it.
I should have washed it down with a nice cold beer.

Plan for tonight is to pan fry half the chicken breasts in lemon juice, jerk season the other half in the oven.
Throw a California veggie mix in a pan and saute then add egg noodles.
Should please everyone.
I hope.

no nutritionist
trying to move towards a Med Diet while still covering off the food groups
have modified the shopping prioritizes
nothing processed in cans, jars, boxes or bags

I have the same lineage that drives me to consume portions of mammal with carbs
green stuff gets added as a necessary nuisance

want to dump a bit of weight and get my chemistry back in order

Not to thread derail, but amazing how the two sides differ.
Plant based claim we weren't supposed to eat meat.
Carnivore based claim that our bodies don't need the plants.
I like the *idea* of a carnivore keto diet.
But I also think that my body does better without dairy.
And without wheat and starchy carbs.
Girl at work is on a strict keto diet.
Down like 50lbs in 6 months.
Says she feels great.
Looks great.
My kid has been vegetarian for a while now and he has slimmed down and his health is better.

I'm really thinking that we just need to find what works best for each of us.

Being tired, busy and a little sick, and then ordering pizza and wings isn't really good for any of us.
And tbh, (maybe because it was PizzaPizza) I didn't even enjoy it.
I should have washed it down with a nice cold beer.

Plan for tonight is to pan fry half the chicken breasts in lemon juice, jerk season the other half in the oven.
Throw a California veggie mix in a pan and saute then add egg noodles.
Should please everyone.
I hope.

I have friends who have the same experience with keto but I live with a bunch of crazy vegetarians so thats out of the question for the moment...

I no longer eat after 6 pm though, dont really feel the need to most days, some days its a tough, it seems to be working good because my clothes are starting to get baggy, I guess you can say its like intermittent fasting

I'd like to go veggie but I'm no good at making it
and I live in an area where the only dining out veggie option would be a veg burger

this is probably my favorite restaurant
Chinese veggie place - so good you forget there's no meat in it
full meal with soup and beverage for $3 appeals to me as well

Ecuador is a bit of a stretch for a Friday night dinner.
I've started using the new jamie Oliver "Veg" cookbook and a book called 'Oh she glows" , both are pretty interesting but it is a bit labour intensive compared to throwing a slab of cow on the grill.

Back
Top Bottom