What's for dinner? | Page 76 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's for dinner?

That’s the only one I’m really comfortable picking myself. I don’t know any good spots for these though.
Puff balls grow all over the place but they have such a short life span it's not a matter of where you find them as when. Start watching the fields and ditches for them at the end of this month.

I think makegoodfood.ca is awesome for folks that live a life too busy to make good food. Its really not hard to eat fresh/healthy/reasonableprice. Its a decision in time management. Yeah I get , kid A going to soccer, kid B going to karate, dad still at the bar. Get up an hour earlier and prep. Prep before going to bed. If its really that hard , makegoodfood is better than the drive thru window.
Kids are grown, some have kids themselves. Work long hours in the winter and some nights my wife is still at work, so I make dinner. I thought these might be interesting to try as you get everything you need for a meal, rather than digging around in the freezer and wondering what to make to go with it. Don't get me wrong, we eat well and healthy (my wife's a nurse and for some reason wants to keep me alive) but was just wondering about these types of things.

I get puffballs around my place all the time, but I find them bland. Good for in stews and soups, but you can only use so much. John, if you want I can bring some in when they come into season. I think we also have morels in my woods, but without an expert telling me that's what they are, I'm not going to tempt fate.

I get puffballs around my place all the time, but I find them bland. Good for in stews and soups, but you can only use so much. John, if you want I can bring some in when they come into season. I think we also have morels in my woods, but without an expert telling me that's what they are, I'm not going to tempt fate.

If you have morels you should sell them. I saw dried morels the other day with about 15 for $15, I spoke to someone that sells cultivated mushrooms and they told me you can’t cultivate morels, you have to forage them. Having said that, they are delicious. Had a nice dish in Quebec made with morels as the main ingredient and it was fantastic.

I find Puff ball to be too pungent, around here they just suffocate it with butter, salt, pepper and fry it up in slices. Morels are even a stronger musk flavour imho. You get those off a weeping tile bed that is in the shade don't you :|

I find Puff ball to be too pungent, around here they just suffocate it with butter, salt, pepper and fry it up in slices. Morels are even a stronger musk flavour imho. You get those off a weeping tile bed that is in the shade don't you :|

Have you been eating mould?

Not me, I don't eat that stuff :| it's everybody else in the family. I only tried it to know for sure.
Have you ever seen "scrapple" didn't need to try much of that to know it's not for me :censored:

Blueberry season is on soon isn't it? I can take a ride up the mountain and check pretty soon I guess.
I don't eat those either but I don't mind picking a few for others to eat.

Also re: pre planned food services.
They send only the amount you need for that meal.
If you don't normally cook, I would imagine some food bought might go to waste of not used in time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I haven't read the whole thread, so crucify me if this has been asked already. Just curious if anyone has tried makegoodfood.ca? It's one of those places that send you a box of food to prepare. If so, what do you think of the value, compared to going and buying the ingredients yourself?

bdsm.gif
kinky.gif
whip.gif
...... ?↗➕....... lol
lol.gif
. Make at home fresh box meals are definitely a step in the right direction compared to the expense of (and often less healthy) eating out. But it's always best overall and best value to simply buy groceries, then cook and eat at home. There's a cost premium with box prepared food options without the economies of scale of the Canadian grocers. Doing it all yourself, you can choose your meals which means you should like and enjoy them all. Do you have a good grill? You can do very simple cooks with little to no preparation that are very good (tasty) and good value.

A small start for example (that I'd recommend) may be simply picking out 8 of your favorite meals to make in the next week, then searching and finding a recipe and cook that appeals to you for those 8 meals. Cut that down to 4 meals and pick up the groceries and ingredients for only those 4... because you'll have leftovers from many of those 4 meals that should last you the rest of the week (more or less). The next 4 recipes can be used for the next week with another grocery shopping visit. It's not a hefty schedule with weekly grocery shopping and picking 8 meals out every two weeks to research their recipes and cooks. Pick some backup meal options you enjoy for the freezer and cupboard and lots of food starts to become available.

Cheers

Last edited:
This thread needs more meal pictures
smile.gif

Sampler plate, this one with two types of crackers (Raincoast Cranberry and PC sea salt Pita crackers which contrast each other nicely), two types of cheese (herb & chive Boursin Gournay and St. Paulin mild semi soft french cow's milk... more contrasts) and roasted red pepper tapenade.
attachment.php

Instant pot Indian butter chicken served over jasmine rice with fresh cilantro.
attachment.php

More fresh vegetables from the garden. Fresh salad with Chinese greens, leek onion/stalk, and sliced martini cucumber picked fresh from the garden, plus salt, ground 4 peppercorn, roasted cashews (unsalted), hand grated grana padano, premium olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
attachment.php

Have a great weekend.

More meal pictures. Kalbi beef (often also called Galbi) from the Weber Summit grill; they came out great. Excellent sear marks, with oils pooling in spots on the meat and very tender
lick.gif
. Big picture.

2d7c1a31642b52dba040dfd8cb221531ed386535908d2f54a1a182371495681d.jpg

Had to make this again, and this time with a twist, Instant pot potato pasta salad medley. Again, highly recommended. This dish has big eye appeal
lick.gif
. Large pictures.
13021c84a7bce9ec7f0d58f65b593f8e9f1d9c730546ae23e0ab8e74648ab1e5.jpg

8473398c5d789d9369fa222d8dc55c17483ac5128fad7ebc9a6ec5bd6f6e8b10.jpg

49464fbf5ebd8fa210cc644e6bc23ccc6e1acd4a6cf1951deee538371c3a2bd0.jpg

16e41204fe1cc048a3dd90514db8a2448a67434d81a106f3e5c5d486b55cf0dd.jpg

746eaec3d9f8afafcbc1b840c79b8df7cf9d1ec2d73c9e868b66f1319cabd93d.jpg

This potato pasta salad medley includes rotini pasta, fresh garden red potatoes, hard boiled eggs, carrots, celery, sweet red pepper, sweated garden onions (light saute) and garden dill. I mix in some white or apple cider vinegar from time to time when I plate it.

More chocolate. This one is a 2018 World Gold Medal winner at the International Chocolate Awards. It's amazing
lick.gif
attachment.php

attachment.php

That's the way we used to prepare Puffballs as well. Actually most of the morels I have seen are just our in my woods. Near the base of trees where there's been lots of stuff rotting.

Also re: pre planned food services.
They send only the amount you need for that meal.
If you don't normally cook, I would imagine some food bought might go to waste of not used in time.

Yeah, Joe, that's their selling point "you keep buying too much lettuce?" Depending oh the price, I imagine I can let a fair bit of lettuce go bad vs the extra cost of their service.

bdsm.gif
kinky.gif
whip.gif
...... ?↗➕....... lol
lol.gif
. Make at home fresh box meals are definitely a step in the right direction compared to the expense of (and often less healthy) eating out. But it's always best overall and best value to simply buy groceries, then cook and eat at home. There's a cost premium with box prepared food options without the economies of scale of the Canadian grocers. Doing it all yourself, you can choose your meals which means you should like and enjoy them all. Do you have a good grill? You can do very simple cooks with little to no preparation that are very good (tasty) and good value.

A small start for example (that I'd recommend) may be simply picking out 8 of your favorite meals to make in the next week, then searching and finding a recipe and cook that appeals to you for those 8 meals. Cut that down to 4 meals and pick up the groceries and ingredients for only those 4... because you'll have leftovers from many of those 4 meals that should last you the rest of the week (more or less). The next 4 recipes can be used for the next week with another grocery shopping visit. It's not a hefty schedule with weekly grocery shopping and picking 8 meals out every two weeks to research their recipes and cooks. Pick some backup meal options you enjoy for the freezer and cupboard and lots of food starts to become available.

Cheers
Thanks for flicking that fly off my back (second emoji). We're out in the bush so going to restaurants is not a common occurrence, unless we plan it ahead. We've got two freezers full of food (one just for venison) so there's always lots of food around, and we always cook too much as we're used to cooking for the four kids as well, and can't seem to cut back on the recipes. I was just wondering what these services were like.

Seen the first puff ball today.

My MIL is over this week so I'm off dinner duty.
Tonight was a meat lasagna.
e1900ed1ae7bd9551c0cd5d2117ebc27.jpg

@Lyndsay we tried a couple of different services (first order was 50% off) so it wasn’t too expensive and we got good value for the food. Quality was excellent and we tried a few dishes that we would not ordinarily cook and/or eat.
We tried a three-meal box from ‘hello fresh’. It was the best of the two services. They also provided two additional recipe cards so if we wanted, we could go and buy the ingredients for any of those 5 meals and replicate them on our own.
The other service was ‘chefs plate’. The Thai Basil Katsu Pork dish was the better of the two meals in their box.
We haven’t bought from either service again (not worth it at full price) but really enjoyed the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Lyndsay we tried a couple of different services (first order was 50% off) so it wasn’t too expensive and we got good value for the food. Quality was excellent and we tried a few dishes that we would not ordinarily cook and/or eat.
We tried a three-meal box from ‘hello fresh’. It was the best of the two services. They also provided two additional recipe cards so if we wanted, we could go and buy the ingredients for any of those 5 meals and replicate them on our own.
The other service was ‘chefs plate’. The Thai Basil Katsu Pork dish was the better of the two meals in their box.
We haven’t bought from either service again (not worth it at full price) but really enjoyed the experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Robbo. I have a $45 off first order from makegoodfood that I thought I might try, but I figured it might not be worth it for full price. I will post a review if I go for it. L

Thanks, Robbo. I have a $45 off first order from makegoodfood that I thought I might try, but I figured it might not be worth it for full price. I will post a review if I go for it. L

Check out redflagdeals as there’s a bunch of these that keep coming up with promos. If you timed it right you could string a bunch together from different suppliers and do it all pretty cheaply.

‘hello fresh’
A customer of mine used to pack for them. IIRC they got ~50¢ a package. Eventually they found a business which provided employment for 'disadvantaged' folk ... "Can you match 15¢/pack?" ... "um, no". I wonder who subsidizes that business?

Back
Top Bottom