What's A Babystep Up from a Ninja 250? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's A Babystep Up from a Ninja 250?

Hi Knowledge,
Reading through this has (very strangely) reminded me of back in the day, when everybody rode Honda 350s.
CB350s, twins. Everybody had one!
But every now and then you saw the big CB450 DOHC, this used to be Honda's fastest bike before the CB750.
I'm thinking the Ninja 400 is in a class of one, the successor to this bike.
You get frame, wheels, brakes, suspension designed to handle more power.
Modern radial tires and FI, yet it's still a lightweight and narrow machine.
I think those 400s are very solid, and a smart buy.
I thought the Ninja 650 felt pretty fast, it cooks along pretty hard and feels like it wants to wheelie.
It feels like it could keep up with any SS 600cc (but partly an illusion, because the 650 is geared much lower).
They say the 400cc also feels pretty fast, though I've never tried one...
But you're right - it's so much better running a little bike up & down through the gears, trying to use it to its potential - it's fun!
400 is a sweet size, not too big, not too small.
L8R

I had a 2007 650R for a while and even took it to Deals Gap this past May and had a blast. I sold it to appease the wife and bought an 09 250 so she could get her full M next year. The 250 came to Deals Gap this Oct and I had more fun on the 250 than the 650. Sure it was a bit more work keeping up with the bigger bikes, but I was never really able to ride the 650R to her limits but I certainly got to do it with the 250. I found maxing out this 250 extremely satisfying and am a much better rider for it. It's a lot more fun chasing the big dogs around the corners on a 250. I realy do love this bike and the only time I think of selling is on the longer touring trips. My 650R was amazing for that. Personally living in Downtown, I'd keep the 250. You'll miss the flickabilty more than getting to that next traffic light at light speed.

See? And ya'll thought I was nuts for riding my 250 all the way down and back. Who's nuts now? MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The supermotos actually look like a lot of fun. But my bigger concern is the thin seat, There's no way I can strap a duffle bag to that.

I'm gonna try out a 650, but I doubt I'll go for it. It sort of sucks, though 'cause the 400r weighs as much as the 650r but is basically slower.

I tried looking up the 400 on Kijiji and no used ones are for sale...but I'll keep checking over the winter. How much do you guys think they'll be going for?

My dream bike's the nc30 with a tyga conversion kit...but that's gotta wait 'til I can afford the maintenance costs & parts:
301120103463.jpg

It's too bad everyone cares about bigger bikes. It would be dope if we had a nice selection of 400s

Are you maybe also shying away from the 650R vs 400 due to insurance costs? If not, I don't think you'll find the 650R has excessive power. I found a lot of it to be low and mid-range, and it felt right at home both on the streets and on the highway. It really felt like a great all-rounder, and coming from a 250 *cruiser*, the power felt very manageable.

Are you maybe also shying away from the 650R vs 400 due to insurance costs? If not, I don't think you'll find the 650R has excessive power. I found a lot of it to be low and mid-range, and it felt right at home both on the streets and on the highway. It really felt like a great all-rounder, and coming from a 250 *cruiser*, the power felt very manageable.

+1, I think the best part of my 650R is the low end grunt, loves getting to speed quickly, but at the same time it's most comfortable cruising at about 130km/h and settles in nicely there.

As for price of the 400's used I've yet to see one listed for less than $5500, whereas I've seen 650's going for $4k a lot and with the new 2012 out I imagine the first Gen's will be even less now.

I say definitely try out the 650R, I'll admit when I first got it though (going from the 250) I thought it was a ridiculous beast that didn't belong on the street lol. After 10,000kms on it this year though now it feels just right, I test rode the new Ninja 1000 this summer and that is a beast (and probably my next bike).

Put a set of BT003's on the 250 and you can scrape the front fairing on the track with out any issues. There is a ninja cup race series in the states and the only change they make to the bikes is the tires.

i was in this dellimma this year too. loved my Hyo 250. if it wasnt for the CCT causing me to do full engine rebuild, i would probably still be riding that thing. the ONLY times i wished i had a bigger bike was on the highways riding long distances.

i settled on a second gen sv650. insurance for me is approx. $300 more than the 250 for the year.
went with mostly stock(except the exhaust) so i can modify it to my liking IF that is needed. so far(only had it for about a month) i dont think im in any hurry to change out any parts on it(except for the seat). suspension, brakes are a lot better than the 250. they could be better though if u compare them to SS bikes. but coming from a 250, i found the stock everything is fine for the streets.

but u could always look for a modified sv650 too. some of them come with the suspesion work already done to them.

another options i was looking for was FZ6, Bandit, Ninja 650R, or pre 95 SS. i just got a good deal on the SV.

GL with whatever u plan to get.

Put a set of BT003's on the 250 and you can scrape the front fairing on the track with out any issues. There is a ninja cup race series in the states and the only change they make to the bikes is the tires.

Too bad those tires suck in rain otherwise I might have opted for them instead of the sport demons.

Street Triple.

And I fail to see how the ninja 250 is somehow more hazardous to ride than any other motorcycle. It's a perfectly capable bike. If you're gonna upgrade you might as well get something f'in awesome haha.

The striple feels like a ninja 250 but with a crap load more power and hooligan-esque attitude. Assuming that you're not completely retarded on a motorcycle, this is the bike I'd recommend for you :D

Street Triple.

And I fail to see how the ninja 250 is somehow more hazardous to ride than any other motorcycle. It's a perfectly capable bike. If you're gonna upgrade you might as well get something f'in awesome haha.

The striple feels like a ninja 250 but with a crap load more power and hooligan-esque attitude. Assuming that you're not completely retarded on a motorcycle, this is the bike I'd recommend for you :D

+ 10000

Although a wee bit more $$$$ than the other recommendations so far.

+ 10000

Although a wee bit more $$$$ than the other recommendations so far.

Ya I know. They're hard to find used too....but that bike is soooo sweet. :p

This looks like a good upgrade...just put on a set of sport bars and its ready to go: (2012 Ninja 650R)

12_Ninja_650_09.jpg

Last edited:
theres a couple fzr400s kicking around. older but serviceable.

God I wish they brought this bike back. Unfortunately chances are if you find an FZR400 it'll be an '89 or 90, which is now past the 20 year mark. They're getting quite old. Still, FZR400s are 104lbs lighter than the current gen Ninja 400R, so they're quite light.

Still, FZR400s are 104lbs lighter than the current gen Ninja 400R, so they're quite light.

I would have never believed that this is what 20 years of progress in technology and engineering would do. Unbelievable, eh?

The power difference from the 675 motor from the 250 is pretty huge (but it's manageable). I know because I made that jump a few years ago. But do it anyway.:D

I would have never believed that this is what 20 years of progress in technology and engineering would do. Unbelievable, eh?

It's because the new 400 is really a 650 with less displacement. It was never built as a small bike from ground up.

Back
Top Bottom