What's A Babystep Up from a Ninja 250? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's A Babystep Up from a Ninja 250?

knowledge

Site Supporter
I love my bike. I don't need more power and I don't need an upgrade...but my biggest concern is that I can't push it to its edge if I wanted to, and that it's arguably less safe than other bikes.

Pros:
- I like how it's flickable because of lane-splitting and the fact that I spend most of my time commuting downtown
- I like how I top out at around 165...which means I can't run if I have to. This keeps me in check. I know that self-control's a rebuttal, but I still consider this a valid point
- I love the standard seating position (but I'm willing to budge in this department)

Cons:
- Everything about this bike is outdated and arguably less safe. I can live with carbs, but it has a single caliper brake, crappy shocks (barely adjustable and even when forks are new, the bike dives so easily), less tire choices (the counter-argument to this is that you can go bigger in the rear to have more options, but I don't want ot change the dynamics of the bike)

The 400r is ~75lbs heavier and tops out at around 190, I think? Since I don't care about top speed, I'll basically have an extra 75 pounds, lose low-speed maneuverability + having a wider bike that makes it worse for splitting.

The sv650 or 650r both have power that I don't need. I like being able to go WOT on my 250 and keeping my license. I've also heard that the sv650 and 650r only have mediocre-tier suspension.

What are my options? (Preferrably sport and doesn't look like crap) I really don't want an "upgrade"...but it seems like the 250 isn't a bike that's meant to be kept. I'm also not sure it's worth shelling out the money to upgrade the suspension if there might just be a better bike out there that offers what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance, guys

Last edited:
I'm assuming you have an older Ninja 250?

How about going up to a Ninja 500? Although it also has a single front caliper, crappy suspension, carbs, etc.

If you do have an older ninja 250 and really like it, why not upgrade to a newer ninja 250? I ride my friends a lot and love it, even though i have 600s.

I'm assuming you have an older Ninja 250?

How about going up to a Ninja 500? Although it also has a single front caliper, crappy suspension, carbs, etc.
it's either an 08 or 09 250 (been a while since I looked at my ownership) .

I'm not willing to consider the gs500f or ex500. I can understand why people like 'em, but they just don't do it for me.

The new 250's are a lot better in terms of quality. The 400R is a very nice step up. A little suspension upgrade and you are set.

I loved going WOT all the time on my 250 too, kept if for 4 years because I didn't think I needed more. Finally picked up a 650R this year for commuting and such, so much more comfortable, perfect usable power, suspension and brakes are fine for anything you can throw at it in Ontario.

I rode my buddy's 250 recently and it felt like it was broken after getting used to actually having some power. Main reason I say go 650 vs 400 is just that you can pick up a used 650R for considerably less than the 400, and insurance for me was virtually the same for both.

DRZ 400?

twisties, and offroad...good combo

flickable, abit more bottom end mid range power, low top speed.

LOL ^ not really a sport bike

hmmm, not many bikes to choose from

if you are mechanically inclined perhaps a cbr 250 mc22, mc19?

or the other older 250 models.

Last edited:
DRZ400SM or WR250X.
+1

A KTM smc might be another option. It tops out early but it gets there FAST. The DRZ and WR are the ultimate city bikes IMHO. You get amazing suspension and nice tire width on a light bike. The only downside, might be their wide handlebars when you want to split.

SV650. Might as well stretch that baby step to a nice v-twin with strong midrange. It's still not a crazy fast bike and you have muscle control of your right wrist... I hope.

Or for something different go for a bigger supermoto.. the KTMs suggested are awesome. If you got more to spend on something new go Husky or Husaberg.

SV650. Might as well stretch that baby step to a nice v-twin with strong midrange. It's still not a crazy fast bike and you have muscle control of your right wrist... I hope.

Or for something different go for a bigger supermoto.. the KTMs suggested are awesome. If you got more to spend on something new go Husky or Husaberg.

Still get a suspension w/ bare minimal adjustment.

I had a 2007 650R for a while and even took it to Deals Gap this past May and had a blast. I sold it to appease the wife and bought an 09 250 so she could get her full M next year. The 250 came to Deals Gap this Oct and I had more fun on the 250 than the 650. Sure it was a bit more work keeping up with the bigger bikes, but I was never really able to ride the 650R to her limits but I certainly got to do it with the 250. I found maxing out this 250 extremely satisfying and am a much better rider for it. It's a lot more fun chasing the big dogs around the corners on a 250. I realy do love this bike and the only time I think of selling is on the longer touring trips. My 650R was amazing for that. Personally living in Downtown, I'd keep the 250. You'll miss the flickabilty more than getting to that next traffic light at light speed.

Attachments

• 250chase.jpg
    250chase.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 89
Still get a suspension w/ bare minimal adjustment.

Who cares, he's not gonna get top shelf suspension unless he buys a supersport, which he doesn't want.

Ultimately its only a few hundred bucks to swap in a GSXR shock and some race-tech internals in the forks. Big woop.

He rides a Ninja 250... even a Schwinn will be a step-up in the suspension department.

Who cares, he's not gonna get top shelf suspension unless he buys a supersport, which he doesn't want.

Ultimately its only a few hundred bucks to swap in a GSXR shock and some race-tech internals in the forks. Big woop.

He rides a Ninja 250... even a Schwinn will be a step-up in the suspension department.

The motards mentioned have suspension that's ten times better than any SS for what he wants it for. The city streets are the farthest thing from a nice smooth track. Heck I aim my bike towards the potholes :)

Have you taken a look a look at the redesigned 2012 Ninja 650R... There seems to be a few upgrades (tweaks) in the suspension and low end performance areas. The new look is also alot more appealing....

go with a supermoto. any moto will be better for what you want than the ninja250 (save for the klx250s, crf230)

Get an fz6. Slap some r6 forks on it, and a tcp seat cowl; everyone at the red lights will go "is that a ninja?"

Back
Top Bottom