What's A Babystep Up from a Ninja 250? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What's A Babystep Up from a Ninja 250?

Street Triple R.

And I fail to see how the ninja 250 is somehow more hazardous to ride than any other motorcycle. It's a perfectly capable bike. If you're gonna upgrade you might as well get something f'in awesome haha.

The striple feels like a ninja 250 but with a crap load more power and hooligan-esque attitude. Assuming that you're not completely retarded on a motorcycle, this is the bike I'd recommend for you :D

Minor fix... OP mentioned that adjustable forks was a con... the regular striple's forks aren't adjustable, but the striple R are.

The power difference from the 675 motor from the 250 is pretty huge (but it's manageable). I know because I made that jump a few years ago. But do it anyway.:D

The first time on it, I nearly wheelied! It's got a ton of power! But like you said, it's also very manangable. In fact, I feel that it's easier to ride the Striple than my previous bike: GS500F.

How about a Ninja 5..........never mind. :D

Good luck in your search. There's definitely a lot out there to choose from. Really think about what your needs are and see which bike best fits them.

On the pros/cons of speed. I can't see any excuse, in any circumstance where anyone would ever *need* to go over 165 on a bike. That's already 65km over the speed limit of any highway in ontario and still more than enough to be able to pass cars. My bike can easily hit 240, and yet i've never taken it over 160, and never plan to. Speed is not the most important factor of a bike, but it seems most people who ride crotch rockets seem to think it is unfortunately.

Speaking from experience, insurance starts getting pricy as the cc's go up when you are under 25...

with that said, buy my gsx-r buddy ;)

I tried looking up the 400 on Kijiji and no used ones are for sale...but I'll keep checking over the winter. How much do you guys think they'll be going for?

It's too bad everyone cares about bigger bikes. It would be dope if we had a nice selection of 400s

400cc-ish bikes are really in the blurry middle ground between large displacement and small displacement bikes.. I have the 400r and it's definitely a smaller bike downsized, so while it's hella fun to ride I always get the feeling it's just a big bike with a smaller engine rather than its own creation. Like an SUV with a 4cylinder engine, the frame would just feel better with the more premium (V6) option, and I would prefer having purchased the 2012 650r but we can't go back in time!!! :p

I would sell you my 400r but I have a few small repairs to make *cough* but I would definitely sell it under $6000-$7000 (it includes a warranty with roadside). It's got 9000k on it with sport bars and 6k HID's. Keep in mind the 400r is a 2011 model so there really aren't many out there, not to mention it probably isn't flying off the shelves like the 250r's. To get a good deal on one, I'd think you'd have to wait until spring or later next season. I have yet to meet another single 400r owner and I've been riding all year! That being said, I've seen a few with broken parts while servicing my own at the dealership.

Now that the new 650r is launched it really does seem like a much better bike for any prospective 400r/250r buyers, I only wonder if they'll update the 400r with the split-seat/tail light/updated fairing ...

It's because the new 400 is really a 650 with less displacement. It was never built as a small bike from ground up.

I know, I was being sarcastic. I wonder how have the sales of the 400 been for Kawasaki. I predict, through the floor.

Her's an interesting excerpt of an interview with Interview with Masanori Aoki, father of the NSR250R MC28, in regards to this topic.

You were also the Project Leader for the CBR400RR. I can't help but think that with today's technology you could make a 150kg, 80bhp, 18,000rpm, 400cc sportsbike to help get more young people interested in riding motorcycles. Surely people at Honda want this too? Why don't we have one?

It goes back to the 'mass-producability' of the machine. If you make this, it would be too expensive for anyone to buy.

Couldn't you use a CBR600RR chassis and develop a 400cc engine?

Yes! People have looked at it and they've been pushing it but when you look at the sums, it doesn't add up and they never get signed off. Never say never!

Lets hope he's right ... never say never. :)

Honestly, guys, my biggest reason for not upgrading is that I don't NEED a faster bike. And I say that because I know that because I WILL go faster. Almost everyone does. And even if I factor in self-control and the fact that I usually only ever push at the right place and time, I don't put myself in situations that I don't want to be in. My bike tops out at 165 - and I like that because it means I can't run. It also limits the people that I can ride with. I do miss riding with the bigger bikes, but I had to opt out 'cause I couldn't run if I had to. I also have more fun splitting than I do at twisties now, so first gear's all I really need (and a pain in the *** on a 600).

Deep down, I want the nc30. And knowing me, I'll get it if I set my sights on it. But I don't want to set my sights on it because I can't see the nc30 being anything but a sunday ride (unless I learn to wrench on bikes. I also don't trust myself enough to do that). I looked into it a year ago, but the consensus here was that it wouldn't be good as a daily commuter. So until I can afford 2 bikes, the nc30's not a realistic bike to have.

Are you maybe also shying away from the 650R vs 400 due to insurance costs?
Last time I checked, the difference between the sv650/650r vs. the 250 was close enough for me to disregard cost as a factor.

Street Triple.

And I fail to see how the ninja 250 is somehow more hazardous to ride than any other motorcycle. It's a perfectly capable bike. If you're gonna upgrade you might as well get something f'in awesome haha

The striple feels like a ninja 250 but with a crap load more power and hooligan-esque attitude. Assuming that you're not completely retarded on a motorcycle, this is the bike I'd recommend for you :D
Haha you sure you don't work for Triumph? And if you don't, why don't you already have a street triple R? It's a nice bike...I'm not gonna lie, but maybe too much for me. As for it being more hazardous, you have to leave more distance when riding with other bikes (especially ss). The brakes are crappier and the suspension's crappier. But I do see your point...I guess it's still safer than riding older bikes. lol

Stop procrastinating and just buy a 600 homie!
Hahaha **** you! You messaged me making it sound like you had some legit points. Btw, whatever happened to getting a supermoto for the street? I'm actually thinking about that now, too...

Lets hope he's right ... never say never. :)
Thanks mxs...that made my night/early morning. Let's say (fingers crossed) that it were to happen...when do you think that would be?

it's either an 08 or 09 250 (been a while since I looked at my ownership) .

I'm not willing to consider the gs500f or ex500. I can understand why people like 'em, but they just don't do it for me.

You don't know the year of your ride and your handle is "Knowledge"?? Well, you've come to the right place to expand it!

You don't know the year of your ride and your handle is "Knowledge"?? Well, you've come to the right place to expand it!
That's actually why it's a lower-case k. I don't know everything and probably never will. :p

But I think I was just being lazy. Without looking at my ownership, I can deduce that it's an '08. I've been slipping a lot lately - good call.

It sounds like you love your 250. Good for you that you don't need more. If you don't want to upgrade, then don't.

While you cons list the fact that it is old technology, I don't think this is a bad thing at all. If you want a newer design why not look at a CBR 250?

Haha you sure you don't work for Triumph? And if you don't, why don't you already have a street triple R?

Because that money can be spent elsewhere at the moment. Besides, I want a speed triple...

Nobody really needs a faster bike. You can also make the argument that nobody up in this region needs a bike at all, except for a few people who can get away with it as being their sole form of transportation. Everyone's reasons for upgrading will vary, and while the ninja 250 is a very capable bike, it is a small bike in terms of it's physical dimensions. If you ever want a bike with a larger seat and/or more room for luggage, odds are good that you'll have to find a bike with more power. Eventually you'll need to learn how to manage that extra power; and that's something a ninja 250 can't teach you.

Jumping from one tiny bike to another is a waste of time and money IMO. You already have a great small bike. If you're not getting what you need out of a small bike, buying another small bike won't solve your problem.

It sounds like you love your 250. Good for you that you don't need more. If you don't want to upgrade, then don't.

While you cons list the fact that it is old technology, I don't think this is a bad thing at all. If you want a newer design why not look at a CBR 250?

+1! everyone has suggested another bikes but OP, u keep saying u dont need this, dont need that. i had the same opinion as you except i like to go on twisties and dont like splitting much. dont care about the speed. honestly, if it wasnt for my 250 breaking down, i would never have been looking for another bike.
like you, i like older bikes as well. purchased a 85 vf750. which didnt last very long. i probably only took it out for about 10 times total and it broke on me too.
now i have 04 SV650 and i couldnt be happier. you are correct on one point though.. hooliganism is much more easier and for the lack of a better word, 'encouraged' by this bike. lol
not that im saying i done it. :)

Thanks mxs...that made my night/early morning. Let's say (fingers crossed) that it were to happen...when do you think that would be?

Actually, I'd love for this to happen, but I came to understand that it will never do. The reason being, there's not enough people like me, who would go out and buy modern light fuel injected 400 ss for the price close to 600cc ss. The market today says if you can get more powerful bike for the same money do it. More power is the obsession which rules, which means that no manufacturer would sell enough units to justify the production.

The only hope would be some sort of graduated licensing which has 400cc class limit. But that would have to happen in much stronger markets than Canada, so it warrants the production.

Considering your situation, I think you are in the right track. Which is two bikes ... reliable fun commuter and fun/sport/sometimes moody one for weekend or track rips. This what I did (DRZ400SM and FZR250R) and I don't think I will ever look back from that concept. It's hard to get it right with one bike, it always becomes a compromise of some kind.

My opinion: If you don't need the power and don't want the additional weight, keep the 250. The Ninja 400R/650R ARE the baby step up from the Ninja 250 so, if bikes like that don't have what you want, stick with what you've got.

First off I just got a 2009 ninja 500ex and love it ... but its not for everyone.

My opinion: If you don't need the power and don't want the additional weight, keep the 250. The Ninja 400R/650R ARE the baby step up from the Ninja 250 so, if bikes like that don't have what you want, stick with what you've got.

i agree only thing i would add is the cost. Kawasaki doesnt have the latest MSRP up for these bikes yet since the 2012 price list will be coming out soon.

BUT

using the old numbers:
ninja 250 - $5000
ninja 400 - $7000
ninja 650 - $8000

To go from the 250 up to 400 an increase of 150cc ( 60% increase) you are paying an additional 2000 (40%).
To go from the 250 up to 650 an increase of 400cc (160% increase) you are paying an additional 3000 (60%).

This was more my mentality when looking at getting a new bike, i was aiming for 650 myself since it seemed like the best value but then found an amazing deal on a ninja500ex :D

If money wasnt an issue i would go for the ninja 650 personally.

I think the sales for the ninja400 are probably pretty LOW for Kawasaki just because of where it sits between 250 - 650 and how they choose to price it.

Which means that there may be deals to be had, on the 400. The Ninja 650R and the ER-6n are new for this year, with a lot of tweaks like a new frame and swingarm, but the Ninja 400R appears to be unchanged.

I don't really get your argument that the 250 is "hazardous". I mean, there are people out there riding cruisers and older bikes with nowhere near the quality suspension and braking power of modern SSs. Most of those people survive, and those riding SSs get into accidents all the same.

As long as you know your bike's limits and capabilities, it seems pretty safe IMO.

Back
Top Bottom