What is up with people? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What is up with people?

Jampy00

Site Supporter
FYI - I am excluding some details to protect myself and the individuals in question. But that does not alter he point of this post.

So I manage a small company.
Two locations, One in Quebec and One in Ontario.
About 20 employees in total with a few close to retiring.
Like many business we are looking for people to work. (General Labor, Warehouse etc.)
With COVID still a factor along with summer, our hope was to get some part-time help and turn them into full-time employees

So far,
We have had 2 people hired (at different times) in our Quebec branch, worked one day and never returned.
Had a guy working in our Cambridge branch. On SERB as he was laid off from his full-time job. Working one day a week (at their request)
Lasted two months, then started to ask to leave early and calling in sick.

We've had issues with a full-time employee as well, resulting in a dismissal.

As as result we are continuing to look for people and feel like we wasted our time. Hard to stay positive at times..
While the job is not overly exciting, we make that very clear to anyone hired, we are open and transparent and very welcoming.
We want to work with people and welcome constructive feedback and work hard to make changes if required.

With nothing new, I am still left puzzled. We offer a very easy environment to thrive in. Very sad that people do not give themselves the chance to find out.
We've spent a lot of time trying to figure out if it was us that had caused this situation, but from all accounts we can't conclude we've done anything wrong.

Yes, I know all the cliché lines.
You get what you pay for..
Young people..
People are lazy..
Etc..

Any other business owners or managers seeing and/or dealing with the same issue currently.

I'm dealing with this at my part-time job too 🤷‍♀️

They sneak away 30 minutes early.. Why!?!?! You are already there so just stay and get paid 0_o

I don't even think pay is the issue anymore

FYI - I am excluding some details to protect myself and the individuals in question. But that does not alter he point of this post.

Like many business we are looking for people to work. (General Labor, Warehouse etc.)
With COVID still a factor along with summer, our hope was to get some part-time help and turn them into full-time employees

So far,
We have had 2 people hired (at different times) in our Quebec branch, worked one day and never returned.
Had a guy working in our Cambridge branch. On SERB as he was laid off from his full-time job. Working one day a week (at their request)

As as result we are continuing to look for people and feel like we wasted our time. Hard to stay positive at times..
While the job is not overly exciting, we make that very clear to anyone hired, we are open and transparent and very welcoming.
We want to work with people and welcome constructive feedback and work hard to make changes if required.

With nothing new, I am still left puzzled. We offer a very easy environment to thrive in. Very sad that people do not give themselves the chance to find out.
We've spent a lot of time trying to figure out if it was us that had caused this situation, but from all accounts we can't conclude we've done anything wrong.

Young people..
People are lazy..
Etc..

Any other business owners or managers seeing and/or dealing with the same issue currently.
I think it always has and always will be that way. When I used to help run a factory and when I worked for a construction company, sadly the bar was often "do they show up for work each day and are not drunk on the job". Setting the bar higher would have meant we didn't have enough staff. Even with that bar, many people didn't make the grade.

Sadly a good work ethic appears more rare than it was. I have been there.
"hey I didn't show up but you didn't have to pay me"
"but I had a job that needed four people so w/o you we couldn't do it !"

I think it always has and always will be that way. When I used to help run a factory and when I worked for a construction company, sadly the bar was often "do they show up for work each day and are not drunk on the job". Setting the bar higher would have meant we didn't have enough staff. Even with that bar, many people didn't make the grade.
Wow GG, that was exactly how I used to joke that you could be my star employee.

Yup

So far,

Young people..
People are lazy..
Etc..

I have the same situation and Infact you are one of our suppliers. Finding anyone who shows up is a positive, competency seems like asking way to much these days. We have been struggling with this for at least 5 years.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

I don't even think pay is the issue anymore

Pay is definitely not the issue.

I've held extremely high-paying positions with peers who have had terrible work ethic, and my reaction to that was: "They are clearly over-paying us for the work that we do. Why on earth would you risk losing such a gravy-train job?"

And, sure enough, their laziness and I-Don't-Care attitude eventually gets them canned.

Right now I'm "working" at a job that I'm just barely making minimum wage, more like getting an honorarium for volunteering my time. My co-workers, who are also getting paid in peanut shells (not even the peanuts), are the hardest-working people I've ever worked with.

It's not about the pay. It's about pride and professionalism. Some people have it. Some don't, and never will.

I’ve heard the same thing in a lot of different places @Jampy00. My buddy is a manager at a place that installs granite and he says if someone shows up sober he’s happy. Typically they don’t last long though.

But their biggest issue is finding people to stay. Not sure about what the pay is, but I think 17-20/he or so. Hard work though.

I haven’t seen the issue in our type of work, but I don’t see a lot of the day to day interactions.

When the govt is paying people to stay home your going to have problem hiring unless the pay is well above minimum wage, which is unrealistic for most warehouse labour type employers to offer.

Also work ethic has taken a big hit over the last 20 years, and boone seems to take pride in what they do anymore

I have the same situation and Infact you are one of our suppliers. Finding anyone who shows up is a positive, competency seems like asking way to much these days. We have been struggling with this for at least 5 years.

Sent using a thumb maybe 2

I hope we have been serving you well. Please PM your details so I can connect with you professionally.
Agreed, nothing new to me as well, seen the decline for years. But it still saddens me and I just wanted to share my experience with GTAM.

When the govt is paying people to stay home your going to have problem hiring unless the pay is well above minimum wage, which is unrealistic for most warehouse labour type employers to offer.

Also work ethic has taken a big hit over the last 20 years, and boone seems to take pride in what they do anymore

Maybe society is depressed?

- Droughts
- Inflation
- Insane rent prices
- Insane housing prices
- Envy or they are jealous about what their boss can afford/have???

What does that mean?
Maybe there’s someone extremely toxic you are not aware about?
Have you tried hiring immigrants? Most of them have hard time finding their first Canadian job and will kill for one.

What does "an easy environment to thrive in" mean.
It means, we are a small-ish company (no toxic employees) easy to work with and to work for.
We do our best to provide a safe and positive work environment. We respect a work/home balance and realize people can have tough times and we do our best to support them. What we expect in return is the same respect we show and to maintain open communications. So pretty easy place to work in my opinion.

I’ve heard the same thing in a lot of different places @Jampy00. My buddy is a manager at a place that installs granite and he says if someone shows up sober he’s happy. Typically they don’t last long though.

But their biggest issue is finding people to stay. Not sure about what the pay is, but I think 17-20/he or so. Hard work though.

I haven’t seen the issue in our type of work, but I don’t see a lot of the day to day interactions.

HA! Yes, we have made that comment recently. "If they show up on time and everyday, we've won half the battle" It's a sad joke.

HA! Yes, we have made that comment recently. "If they show up on time and everyday, we've won half the battle" It's a sad joke.
It’s actually very sad. I remember doing an inside sales job at the start of my career. Was an awesome job and have had a great time there. Only lasted a year as I got pulled into another inside/outside sales role for almost 15k more. That one also lasted a year as the boss was a monster micro manager who I asked ‘why did you hire me if you’re breathing on my neck.’
next job was the start of my proper career which has been fairly good and steady since 2007.

wish I could help. Will see if I know anyone looking.

It’s actually very sad. I remember doing an inside sales job at the start of my career. Was an awesome job and have had a great time there. Only lasted a year as I got pulled into another inside/outside sales role for almost 15k more. That one also lasted a year as the boss was a monster micro manager who I asked ‘why did you hire me if you’re breathing on my neck.’
next job was the start of my proper career which has been fairly good and steady since 2007.

wish I could help. Will see if I know anyone looking.

It is a all too common problem today. I'm happy to speak to anyone who might be interested in employment.

What does that mean?
Maybe there’s someone extremely toxic you are not aware about?
Have you tried hiring immigrants? Most of them have hard time finding their first Canadian job and will kill for one.
I've found this to be hit and miss, tho more miss lately. Had to help HR hire 40odd people for a technical position a couple years ago... a lot of the applicants were immigrants with good technical "background" that should have been easily trained...

After training and working with them , there is no chance their resumes were in any way shape or form honest. Hard to properly check references and job history overseas. Of the ones we kept on the majority disappeared after getting enough points for their PR, even with competitive wages and benefits... Hiring and training is not an inexpensive process either...

We consider any and all applicants, we pride ourselves of giving anyone a chance regardless of their background as long as they meet some of our basic skill related requirements.

After training and working with them , there is no chance their resumes were in any way shape or form honest. Hard to properly check references and job history overseas. Of the ones we kept on the majority disappeared after getting enough points for their PR, even with competitive wages and benefits... Hiring and training is not an inexpensive process either...
I like short tests as part of the interview process. Doesn't have to be a formal written test, just something that should be known by someone with the training and credentials presented and an insight into their thought process. You can quickly determine whose resume is ummm, shall we say "optimistic". If they say they have pneumatic or hydraulic experience, throw some parts on the table and ask them to talk a little about them, if they say they did structural design, draw up a quick sketch and ask them to point out some issues, etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom