What is up with people? | Page 12 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What is up with people?

A friend posted a video of his kid (~10 yo) playing the entertainer. Really technically competent. No emotion but that's ok for now, I was impressed at his technical level.

EDIT:
I know you are video game focussed, but interacting face to face with real people is also an important life skill. Also exercise is good. Far too many video game people (I suspect the majority) become fat introverts. Balance is good.
I’m seeing more and more young people totally clueless when it comes dealing with others face to face. From something simple like facial expressions to even reading someone’s body language….I can only assume it’s because kids are spending less time with each other, and more time online.

Can you get a normal nickname so I can reference you without the whole paragraph? LOL

Misery is what you make it, same as happiness. Now I'm not saying your friends aren't depressed...but when I have the discussions with some others about how 'bad they have it' it goes like this.

'Life sucks, XXX is much better'
'Why don't you go?'
'Don't have enough cash'
'Sell the house, you've got enough equity for what you say you need, and then some'
'It's not that easy'
'OK...what's stopping you?'
'You don't understand'
'Try me'
'You've got a good life'
'Once again...what is actually stopping you?'

This is typically how the discussion ends. Similarly...

'This job sucks / doesn't pay enough / xxx'
'Have you looked at something else?'
'No...it's all ****'
'Any transferrable skills?'
'You don't understand cause you're an office worker'
'Try me'
'Eff off'

My friends typically say the same thing to me 'Why do you change your jobs so often? I couldn't do that'

And my response is always the same. When I feel it's time to move on, for whatever reason (money, joy, opportunity, etc.), I start looking for something better.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....but if you don't ask or look into it...well that's on you.
Amen, just spoke to the production manager about an assistant supervisor position consideration. I’d be back on the floor and back on shift work but its the change I was looking for with opportunity. We shall see.

Um... isn't that what emojis are for?

DUH!!!!
Get off my lawn whippersnapper! Fancy Schmancy emojis….

@Evoex good luck! Let us know how it goes! Thanks for your support in my push for the promotion I got. Already told my manager I am aiming for the next opportunity to level up…maybe next year.

Get off my lawn whippersnapper! Fancy Schmancy emojis….

@Evoex good luck! Let us know how it goes! Thanks for your support in my push for the promotion I got. Already told my manager I am aiming for the next opportunity to level up…maybe next year.
I must have missed that you got it. Congrats 🥳

Ya a few weeks ago. Only 1 level though...not the 2 I wanted. Will keep working toward that goal.
It’s okay. We’ll have a pity party when I’m slaving away on an off shift. Then we’ll go cheer up at the food truck in burks falls. Buddy went this weekend for the first time, he was blown away. Pierogi!! @oioioi

AF88E4BE-0818-40FA-837A-BBE292822242.jpeg

Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)​

That's the goal!

I know a friend going after PHAT FIRE lol

Can you get a normal nickname so I can reference you without the whole paragraph? LOL
Highlight the post and hit quote. I can't quote my own name tbh because I can't read Chinese or type it. I made the name via google translate years ago lol

Misery is what you make it, same as happiness. Now I'm not saying your friends aren't depressed...but when I have the discussions with some others about how 'bad they have it' it goes like this.
I don't think we're depressed....it's more so the reality of things. I think our generation had a REALLY GOOD childhood (possibly too good) similar to those video games that start you with a max level character in the tutorial, then strip you of all your skills so you have to work for them.

My fiancee has considered a career swap but when we sat down and looked at what careers make $80k+....they're all knowledge worker jobs, so same ****. You could probably give me any job and with or without training I'll excel at it given enough time, but very few of them will pay $100k+. This then plays into "how fast can I hit FIRE."

So it's exactly as you and @GreyGhost stated: we make our own bed daily and have to choose what we can live with/tolerate.

I know you are video game focussed, but interacting face to face with real people is also an important life skill. Also exercise is good. Far too many video game people (I suspect the majority) become fat introverts. Balance is good.
I agree with you. I only know 2 "jacked nerds", everyone else is a stereotype.

I suspect the kid will take after me in that aspect though cause the apple never falls far from the tree (between my father and I as well.)

I’m seeing more and more young people totally clueless when it comes dealing with others face to face. From something simple like facial expressions to even reading someone’s body language….I can only assume it’s because kids are spending less time with each other, and more time online.

This is an interesting subject. Nearly all of my friends are nerds and we spend more time online than in real life. We don't have empathy or body language issues; the friends I know that do have communication issues also have autism and I think that's linked from our discussions about autism.

Video games have hit the point (for a while surprisingly) where a real model/actor/actress gets a bunch of wires taped on them and their motions captured. This means everyone has near life like emotional reactions (Red Dead Redemption 2 and Cyberpunk 2077 are really good examples.) So I don't see this being entirely lost.

And honestly.....if kids need to learn how to communicate, just tell them to go chase girls lol. No success will be had there without successful communication. Admittedly though I am very biased: my friends are like me so I don't have the stereotype examples that I'm sure exist because they are on gaming forums.

Last edited:
I don't agree with that statement and it is what started unionization. An employee is an employers most valuable asset. Without people, nothing gets done. Experienced employees add production value and increase throughput for a company.

I should have added an emoji or tag to make it clear my last paragraph was sarcasm.

Businesses shoot themselves in the foot and blame the employees rather then themselves.

It wasn't that long ago when working a retail or base industrial job paid a salary high enough to afford a nuclear family on a father's salary. Now both must work to just survive at those jobs.

Goes to show you how high inflation has gotten while real wages have stagnated and even deflated.

I should have added an emoji or tag to make it clear my last paragraph was sarcasm.

Businesses shoot themselves in the foot and blame the employees rather then themselves.

It wasn't that long ago when working a retail or base industrial job paid a salary high enough to afford a nuclear family on a father's salary. Now both must work to just survive at those jobs.

Goes to show you how high inflation has gotten while real wages have stagnated and even deflated.
20 years ago it wasn’t easy to organize a factory in a developing country that could get goods to the rest of the world. Today it’s much easier

Canada provides incredible support and options to young people. If they decide not to take advantage of training and education and want a career as a retail associate or unskilled factory worker, what differentiates them or makes them more valuable than a factory worker in Viet Nam?

times change. If you want to screw a nut onto a bolt 8 hours day, are you really worth more just because you live in Canada?

are you really worth more just because you live in Canada?

You're fixated on the lower level jobs. But in both skilled trades and white collar jobs salaries have done the same thing. A complete depreciation of income compared to the cost of living.

When the Bank of Canada reports 1% inflation, and your boss gives you cost of living at 1%, you really just lost money. The basket of goods used make zero sense compared to the real world. And inflation is likely in the double digits.

It’s okay. We’ll have a pity party when I’m slaving away on an off shift. Then we’ll go cheer up at the food truck in burks falls. Buddy went this weekend for the first time, he was blown away. Pierogi!! @oioioi

View attachment 49468
I am more than happy to go for a ride to Burke's Falls.

As for the Pierogi.

Yes they are one of my favourite foods. It's a toss up between pierogi and "placki ziemniaczane". (look it up)

I have yet to try these Mexican pierogi or any other variation.
I tend to be of the mindset "don't fix it if it ain't broken"

Just plain "Ruskie pierorgi" (not being racial but that's what they are referred to as the original recipe) are my go to. Adding all the other topics is unorthodox to me.

Ask any Québécois how they feel about the different toppings being added to their poutine.

Now if you tell me that I can only join the ride IF I have a Mexican version of a pieróg, than I will accept the challenge.

You're fixated on the lower level jobs. But in both skilled trades and white collar jobs salaries have done the same thing. A complete depreciation of income compared to the cost of living.

When the Bank of Canada reports 1% inflation, and your boss gives you cost of living at 1%, you really just lost money. The basket of goods used make zero sense compared to the real world. And inflation is likely in the double digits.

All that means is you did nothing to increase your value. I have never in 35 years got only a cost of living increase.

do things that create value and you will increase your value. If your employer ignores this, others won’t.

All that means is you did nothing to increase your value. I have never in 35 years got only a cost of living increase.

do things that create value and you will increase your value. If your employer ignores this, others won’t.

Part of the ability of having a reasonable conversation about an issue that effects the majority of society is to remove yourself from your opinion. If you can't do that you can't be objective.

That's nice that you and some of us have gotten raises that far exceed cost of living. That doesn't mean it works that way for 80% of Canadians.

Nor does it change the fact the cost of living increases we all got are insufficient to keep up with real inflation, because the central banks have developed a faulty model of CPI that artificially keeps inflation looking low.

20 years ago it wasn’t easy to organize a factory in a developing country that could get goods to the rest of the world. Today it’s much easier

Canada provides incredible support and options to young people. If they decide not to take advantage of training and education and want a career as a retail associate or unskilled factory worker, what differentiates them or makes them more valuable than a factory worker in Viet Nam?

times change. If you want to screw a nut onto a bolt 8 hours day, are you really worth more just because you live in Canada?

@oioioi isn't wrong though. The inflation is obvious.

While I'm all for equal rights and women working, kinda wish the world picked up the memo "women can work and all households only need 1 source of income" because all this did was force smart women to find smart men and double income up. And it's hilarious how women are fighting for "equal pay" when they don't realize someone like Lisa Su (AMD president) doesn't stop working lol

Hell, if things had worked out, I would've pentupled income or more with family. Finish the race earlier and lower costs that way.

That's nice that you and some of us have gotten raises that far exceed cost of living. That doesn't mean it works that way for 80% of Canadians.

Really need to highlight the above. And remember salary and IQ have strong correlations and IQ is from birth with computers making things worse (someone with higher IQ will figure **** out faster, computers magnify this.) Nobody talks about it though: lets just blame rich white ppl instead -_-'

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom