What GPS & mount do you run or are you a phone or paper map rider? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What GPS & mount do you run or are you a phone or paper map rider?

Fair enough. I was unaware of all those features. I guess I'm so used to google maps since 2009 that I can't abandon it lol

One more thing, phones have a tendency to overheat in the sun in hot weather. I have never had a Garmin overheat

Only if they are in enclosed space under plastic. If mounted on the bars with airflow they do not overheat in my experience and I'm in constant mid 30s and up here in tropical Australia with very strong sun.

Sena, Tomtom and iphone | StromTrooper

We rode three weeks in the west between 15C at the top of Beartooth shown here to high 30s in the BC valleys.
We cooked ....the phones did not....even with the battery pack. I use one here as well.

Only if they are in enclosed space under plastic. If mounted on the bars with airflow they do not overheat in my experience and I'm in constant mid 30s and up here in tropical Australia with very strong sun.

Sena, Tomtom and iphone | StromTrooper

We rode three weeks in the west between 15C at the top of Beartooth shown here to high 30s in the BC valleys.
We cooked ....the phones did not....even with the battery pack. I use one here as well.

Agreed. I always run AA - waze with phone on handlebars, all year round, trips and commutes. never had an issue. do not go downtown or sit in crazy, hot traffic for long. Airflow is key I think.

One hot day this summer, left my phone streaming spotify to a bluetooth speaker out in the sun. overheated and closed apps to prevent damage.

I want to try the beeline. I dont tour much and it would just get me to places i don't know. It's very minimal and requires an initial setup in the phone. (You can also have your phone in pocket redirect if there are updates...)

They have a 30-day trial period too! Might pull the trigger on this one next season

Last edited:
The best solution for me is GPS and paper maps.

Maps work with my tank bag, but I don't always ride with the tank bag. The next project is to figure a way to strap a map on its own to the tank. Any suggestions for a simple, waterproof pouch?

One of my tank bags was built with the magnets attached to a stiff plastic board, which slipped into a zippered pocket in the bottom of the bag. I no longer use the tank bag, but I take the magnetized board out and put it inside a large ziplock freezer bag along with the map(s) that I want. 100% waterproof. A few rare-earth magnets glued to a cardboard sheet will give you the same effect. Or if you're super cheap, just taping the ziplock to your tank works, but is less convenient at gas stops.

On long trips I usually print out a series of Google paper maps, and highlight the main route and interesting/optional routes in different colours, often with the estimated time for each route written beside it. Makes it easy at the end of the day to decide whether to take the side route or press on to the destination before dark/etc. The contrast on the default printed Google maps is almost illegible, so I use one of the monochrome high contrast styles from Snazzy Maps - Free Styles for Google Maps

The past couple of trips I've used Google maps app on a phone instead of my old Garmin Quest. Much easier to search for stuff on the phone than on the Garmin, but the contrast really sucks in bright sunlight. The readability of a dedicated GPS with a transflective screen is the number one thing that I miss from the Garmin, but it really depends on which model you're talking about. For instance, the Zumo 595 has a transflective screen while the cheaper Zumo 395 has a regular TFT screen.

I want to try the beeline. I dont tour much and it would just get me to places i don't know. It's very minimal and requires an initial setup in the phone. (You can also have your phone in pocket redirect if there are updates...)

They have a 30-day trial period too! Might pull the trigger on this one next season

I really like the idea of the Beeline. A lot of the time all I really want is turn-by-turn directions in a nice compact display. But check the forums before you buy - there were quite a few complaints a couple of years ago that the timing of the turn prompts was way too short for use on a motorcycle on the highway, as though it were still calibrated for bicycle speeds or something. That should be an easy fix, but I haven't checked the reviews recently.

I really like the idea of the Beeline. A lot of the time all I really want is turn-by-turn directions in a nice compact display. But check the forums before you buy - there were quite a few complaints a couple of years ago that the timing of the turn prompts was way too short for use on a motorcycle on the highway, as though it were still calibrated for bicycle speeds or something. That should be an easy fix, but I haven't checked the reviews recently.
that comment section is scary, but then you have these reviewers who had good experiences with it too..
i guess i'll wait till next season and see!

I just had a Zumo 396 LMT-S go dead on me last week. I bought it in Sept. 2020 at Costco.
I'm going to try taking just the screen part back to the Customer Service desk and see what they say.
The wiring is still attached to the bike right now.
For $350, it shouldn't die after a year of little use. Wish me luck.

I just had a Zumo 396 LMT-S go dead on me last week. I bought it in Sept. 2020 at Costco.
I'm going to try taking just the screen part back to the Customer Service desk and see what they say.
The wiring is still attached to the bike right now.
For $350, it shouldn't die after a year of little use. Wish me luck.
Agreed and good luck:)

I like the idea of the Beeline. But you could literally buy an entire cheap water resistant smartphone (without an OIS camera) and use that for navigation for the cost. The Beeline doesn't even have GPS hardware in it - I respect simplicity but there's no payoff for it here

I like the idea of the Beeline. But you could literally buy an entire cheap water resistant smartphone (without an OIS camera) and use that for navigation for the cost. The Beeline doesn't even have GPS hardware in it - I respect simplicity but there's no payoff for it here
I just love the form factor of it and simplicity of the directions. But after "doing my research" seems like if you get a lemon, you might be SOL

I agree.

From a personal perspective, I use a moving map to see nearby roads far more than point to point GPS. I don't need colour, I would be happy with a large B&W screen but I doubt anyone will ever make one.

Got my refund, not sure which way to go now.

The 550 I had lasted around ten years, but the screen eventually went, as well.

FWIW, my Zumo 590 has seen about 40k km’s and three years without a hiccup.

The current Zumo XT is a heck of a deal if you’re inclined to get another GPS

Where?

I’ve had my Zumo 590 for about 40k too and only once in BC it shut down and wouldn’t start up. I took out the battery, put it back in and it’s been perfect ever since.

So you just returned the GPS unit itself? Kept all the ancillary stuff?

So you just returned the GPS unit itself? Kept all the ancillary stuff?
Nope, I had to pull all of the wiring etc, off of the bike.

I guess I could have asked about an exchange, but I'd bought it online, and returned it to the store.

I meant generally. At $500USD, it's pretty well priced compared to previous Zumo's.

FWIW, I think Garmin knocks it down to $400USD on their website every so often.

Back
Top Bottom