What GPS & mount do you run or are you a phone or paper map rider? | GTAMotorcycle.com

What GPS & mount do you run or are you a phone or paper map rider?

Clutt-225

I was running just my iPhone on a ram mount for years but with my recent debut into off-road I figured time to put the phone away and safe. My bike came with the Touratech gps mount around the gauges and I’ve always admired the locking Tourtech cradle. So last week I pulled the trigger on the cradle and Garmin Zumo XT. So far very very happy with everything but the cost, but once I got over the sticker shock all is good.

I use my phone with Google Maps on-road, and GaiaGPS off-road. Never had an issue with a Quadlock or Ram mount off-road, as long as you use the extra cradle with the latter.

Those Garmins seem pretty nifty but I've been fine with my current set-up.

I had a GPS mounted on my handlebars when I had my Vulcan, however, I found that I was paying more attention to it than the road...off it came...now I preplan a route if I'm going somewhere specific the night before and either email it to myself so I have it on my phone if need be, or just write the directions down on a sheet of paper and tape them to the inside of my windscreen of my FZ07...

Roads?
Where you're going you don't need roads.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I was running just my iPhone on a ram mount for years but with my recent debut into off-road I figured time to put the phone away and safe. My bike came with the Touratech gps mount around the gauges and I’ve always admired the locking Tourtech cradle. So last week I pulled the trigger on the cradle and Garmin Zumo XT. So far very very happy with everything but the cost, but once I got over the sticker shock all is good.
Mine is pretty similar to yours. I run a Garmin Zumo 590LM hardwired to the Garmin mount right above my dash for easy viewing. Got the mount for free and the Zumo for $250 after I sold an older Zumo I scored for free.

I also have a Ram mount with an X-Grip that I can quickly put my phone into if I should need it, but that's been 1x in 3 years. I dislike the Ram mount w/ X-Grip, because it's mounted to the handlebars, and I'm not a fan of looking away from the road to stare at the screen.

With XGrip on the left and empty Garmin mount in the centre.
2021100920223484-3890061588483224625-IMG_7349-X5.jpg

With X-Grip off and Garmin in.
2021100920223484-927124236468165091-IMG_7351-X5.jpg

I use the Zumo XT on a Ram Mount arm. I'm liking that locking mount you have there. It's getting tiresome locking up my GPS when I stop.

X-grip has moved from bike to bike and never failed even with some light off pavement. Bought the additional security straps which worked fine but a little extra hassle I didn't need.
I like the RAM mount X-grip as I can tilt and change the angle to reduce any glare. Pics soon.

Garmin 396 mounted in its proprietary cradle with ram ball/techmount centre stem, wired to a switched relay.

-fjr1300

I started delving into the features of the BMW NAV6 that I use. Has some pretty good features such as the Track Back feature that automatically records where you went (starts over once powered down) which is nice when you go exploring and want to recall a nice road you found. It made by Garmin so maybe that's a standard Garmin thing.
The Navigator unit also melds with the bike ecu and can be controlled easily via the handlebar ring on left handgrip or by voice when connected to a headset (I use a Sena 20S). Keeps track of all the bike stats and can be displayed on it anytime. Overall pretty darn nifty.

I started delving into the features of the BMW NAV6 that I use. Has some pretty good features such as the Track Back feature that automatically records where you went (starts over once powered down) which is nice when you go exploring and want to recall a nice road you found. It made by Garmin so maybe that's a standard Garmin thing.
The Navigator unit also melds with the bike ecu and can be controlled easily via the handlebar ring on left handgrip or by voice when connected to a headset (I use a Sena 20S). Keeps track of all the bike stats and can be displayed on it anytime. Overall pretty darn nifty.
Yeah that’s been standard thing on Garmin’s for a while. However on the Garmin’s I’ve had, it doesn’t automatically reset each power down - you have to manually delete the trackback.

I installed the same Touratech locking mount for the Garmin XT as the OP. Great mount, well made and neat locking design.

My wife's RS came with the BMW Nav prep mounted near the handlebars. With the stock location, she had to constantly look down to check the GPS.

DSC_0956-X2.jpg

No bueno.

So we installed a nav relocation bracket:

DSC_1118-X2.jpg

Which relocated the GPS closer to eye level when looking at the road.

DSC_1117-X2.jpg

Much better.

The mount and the bracket have a nice finished feel to it, like it came from the factory like this:

DSC_1120-X2.jpg

That said, I'm not a big fan of dashboard clutter. If I could do away with a dedicated nav unit and start utilizing the huge TFT linked up to a cell phone tucked safely into a pocket or tank bag, then that would be my preference. All the bikes are coming out with digital displays now, we shouldn't need to add another display just for nav.

How much was that locking Touratech mount and where was it sourced from?

Wow. For $250 I'll be happy to remove my XT and put it in my pannier when required.
I had been wanting it but unable to justify the cost of it and a gps for 3 years now. I just decided I want it and I’m getting it. Once it arrived I was very impressed with the fit and finish. It’s definitely worth $250. Although coupled with the cost of the gps it was an expensive upgrade that wasn’t really needed.
i was getting bye with my iPhone in a X ram mount oN the bars just fine. 🤷‍♂️

But that‘s what Adventure riders do we spend way to much money on kit and farkle then we park at Starbucks and talk about rides that we are going to do. 😉

I had a GPS mounted on my handlebars when I had my Vulcan, however, I found that I was paying more attention to it than the road...off it came...now I preplan a route if I'm going somewhere specific the night before and either email it to myself so I have it on my phone if need be, or just write the directions down on a sheet of paper and tape them to the inside of my windscreen of my FZ07...
Sort of my deal too although I never actually had a gps. A piece of paper on the handlebars with cryptic notes to the destination.
401 E, 115/35 N, 9 (GanaR) E, etc. And a crumpled paper map onboard.
Sometimes you find cool roads when you don't really know (or care) where you're going.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom